I Like It Hot

I Like It Hot

This is a discussion on I Like It Hot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the 9mm being the minimum we should carry in a pistol for personal protection. I prefer the hottest round I can get. However, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I Like It Hot

I Like It Hot

With the 9mm being the minimum we should carry in a pistol for personal protection. I prefer the hottest round I can get. However, I currently carry 127 +P+ Winchestar for deeper penatration.

I like the way Federal HST mushrooms but at 1200fps for a 124gr +P it is to slow for me.

I have on hand:
    Speer Gold Dot 115 +P+ 1400fps loaded by Buffalo Bore
    Corbon JHP 115gr +P 1350fps
    Winchestar 115 +P+ 1335fps

So what are your thoughts on a hotter 9mm? Also with the 9mm being invented around the 124gr your thoughts on the lighter 115gr.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

I'll stick with no more than +p. Why beat up your gun? Shot placement is every bit as important as bullet expansion.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    A hotter 9mm? Come on up to 357Sig.

Senior Moderator
    "Hot" rounds are not alway the best rounds.

What really matters is accuracy. If it goes fast and is accuate, its all good.

If it goes fast and is all over the target, thats not good.

I would rather shoot a slow 1200 FPS bullet that could hit the target 10 times out of 10 than one that was fast and only hit it 5 times.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I always use standard pressure rounds. If I want something hotter I'll shoot a .40 or a .357 Sig.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I keep the Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ T-series JHP in my Glock 17. Hard hitting, & man, I love those talons!
    Stubborn likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I'm with Hot Guns, accuracy overrides everything else, grain, caliber, number of shots, and firearm type.OMOYMV
    bmcgilvray and HK Jake like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

lightweight rounds flying super fast in 9mm may not produce the results you're looking for, just as a FYI.

You can use a board if you hit the target with it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'll never understand the obsession with super fast rounds, especially when we know 99% of it is shot placement. I like my round to penetrate deeply and mushroom up real early; the speed at which it travels makes no difference.

Example: How many people have been killed with the big and slow 230gr .45 ACP FMJ load? Lots! How many have been killed with standard pressure 9mm FMJ? Lots more! It makes no difference what speed it's travelling at, only where you put it!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

"I Like It Hot"

If "hot" gives an additional comfort level then great but realistically, relying on a mere 200 fps, in the velocity range in which 9mm operates, is embracing a false sense of security.

If 9mm is not considered trustworthy for personal self-defense at 1200 fps with good hits then it should not be considered trustworthy at 1400 fps either. I wouldn't have a problem trusting a reliable 9mm pistol for serious self-defense even though I'm not a particular fan of the cartridge.

The velocity performance of a load is pretty far behind accurate bullet placement in any listed order of importance. Really far behind, actually.

Nine grains of weight isn't significant in the overall scheme of things either.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

A .22 will drop an 1800# steer deader than dead with proper placement. Personally I think you're getting a little too concerned with velocity, but if you wanna "go fast" like Ricky Bobbi, then the 115 gr. Corbon would be my choice. Or...get you some HS-6 and 90 gr. bullets.....just don't blow yourself and your gun up!

I'm with 21bubba--if you want a FAST 9mm, go to .357 Sig. Much better for your gun. Main downside is that it'll have to be either a Sig or Glock, not that those aren't fine guns, but limited choice is what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    A .22 will drop an 1800# steer deader than dead with proper placement. Personally I think you're getting a little too concerned with velocity, but if you wanna "go fast" like Ricky Bobbi, then the 115 gr. Corbon would be my choice. Or...get you some HS-6 and 90 gr. bullets.....just don't blow yourself and your gun up!

I'm with 21bubba--if you want a FAST 9mm, go to .357 Sig. Much better for your gun. Main downside is that it'll have to be either a Sig or Glock, not that those aren't fine guns, but limited choice is what I mean.
    The HK P2000 can be chambered in .357 SIG. S&W makes an M&P in .357 SIG. There are many others!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

+p+ sounds like overkill to me. I load my 9's up with standard pressure 147 grain Hornady rounds. I want heavier bullets that wont have the additional recoil from +p+.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Well if speed is your goal Double Tap now has offerings in several calibers with very light Barnes all copper bullets moving and amazing speeds.

I am not advocating them, I would really like to see gel tests for these rounds, but if you fall in the light and fast camp these are for you.

Clicky-->9mm Ballistics : 80gr @ 1560fps / 433ft. lbs. from a G17
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links