.45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo?

This is a discussion on .45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im holding CorBon copper HP 200gr in 44spl...also corbon 9x17 ...plastic fantastic hornady in 45 acp and .45 colt.. IMO glockmans got the right idea..but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo?

Im holding CorBon copper HP 200gr in 44spl...also corbon 9x17 ...plastic fantastic hornady in 45 acp and .45 colt.. IMO glockmans got the right idea..but I'm in these copper Corbon's till I burn'm up..or someone shows me the error o my ways... forget buying anything in fire arms that says safety...shoot up that glaser crap...

2. Remove Ads

the corbon is a very promising load also, if i had the money to set up some barier testing i would. because even an hst turns into an fmj when passing through autoglass and steel. if their claims of still getting expansion when passing through said barriers with an all copper projectile than that can be a game changer

go to youtube and look up TNoutdoors9 page. He has done some really good testing of a BUNCH of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    the corbon is a very promising load also, if i had the money to set up some barier testing i would. because even an hst turns into an fmj when passing through autoglass and steel. if their claims of still getting expansion when passing through said barriers with an all copper projectile than that can be a game changer
    You may want to look at ATK Wound Ballistic Documents I have NOT done expansion tests through glass but these tests results have been consistent with the tests I have done. Is expansion as good as into ballistic gel? No. But it appears expansion is at least double FMJ
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I know I watched the whole thing in awe but it seems that all hollwpoints seem to have the hardest time with auto glass at a 10-20 degree angle of deflection to simulate shooting at a car moving at you and you off to the side slightly

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    I know I watched the whole thing in awe but it seems that all hollwpoints seem to have the hardest time with auto glass at a 10-20 degree angle of deflection to simulate shooting at a car moving at you and you off to the side slightly
    Not the video. Read the police results from the testing done in different jurisdictions. The expansion though laminated auto glass with HST is pretty impressive. HST does effectively expand through auto glass, unlike most other hollow points, which don't. Saying HST turns into FMJ when shot through auto glass is grossly inaccurate when the exact opposite is true. According to a dozen independent police departments

An aside the pics on the Butte Montanta show HST and Gold Dot to be two very different looking rounds once they have expanded.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

that's interesting since they preform it with both on the video and they don't expand, Il have to look into it but my mind has been made up for a while that's why the g21 I have on me right now is full of 230 +p HST

Sure, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots and HSTs are great bullets, but the question haven't heard answered is how many forum users practice only with what they carry — and I'm not talking running through a 20-round box once every six months or so. Call me "old-fashioned," but I shoot and carry Remington UMC green box ball exclusively. Granted, the vast majority of my shooting/carrying is done with .45 ACP, but I try to get through at least the equivalent of 100 rounds per week in practice. My hope is that if the time ever comes, all that extra practice will allow me to make hardball work well enough to stop the threat. Not to mention the fact that I have never had a single ammunition-related malfunction with the Remington UMC hardball in any of my handguns, from .45 down to .380. C'mon, haven't you all heard, "They all fall to hardball?"
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    I have never had a single ammunition-related malfunction with the Remington UMC hardball in any of my handguns, from .45 down to .380. C'mon, haven't you all heard, "They all fall to hardball?"
    Maybe so, and if I was gonna carry hardball, it'd be .45acp. But fact is a .45acp hardball bullet will easily penetrate 2 humans and lodge in a 3rd. Since you are responsible for where your bullet ends up you may want to re-think your choice. As Mas Ayoob has said, the .45acp which got it's reputation on the battlefield was mostly done shooting 130lb rice fed asians who didn't need much of a wallop to stop. Will a 250lb meth addict go down that easy? No. My advice, If your gun won't reliably feed HP's, get one that does.

No 45 here, Just 125gr SJHP Remington for carry & 158gr JSP for the WOODS ; )PS Gold dots 124gr in my 9mm
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Sure, Golden Sabers, Gold Dots and HSTs are great bullets, but the question haven't heard answered is how many forum users practice only with what they carry and I'm not talking running through a 20-round box once every six months or so. Call me "old-fashioned," but I shoot and carry Remington UMC green box ball exclusively. Granted, the vast majority of my shooting/carrying is done with .45 ACP, but I try to get through at least the equivalent of 100 rounds per week in practice. My hope is that if the time ever comes, all that extra practice will allow me to make hardball work well enough to stop the threat. Not to mention the fact that I have never had a single ammunition-related malfunction with the Remington UMC hardball in any of my handguns, from .45 down to .380. C'mon, haven't you all heard, "They all fall to hardball?"
    If I had ever noticed a difference between my practice ammo and carry ammo vis a vis recoil, controlllability, and accuracy at self defense ranges, I may concede you have a point.

However, I've never noticed any measurable difference, even when going up against a timer.

I do shoot my carry ammo from time to time, though...mainly to get fresh ammo in the mags.

And I've yet to have an ammo-related failure with any of my current carry loads...because if I do, they cease to be my carry load in that pistol.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If I had ever noticed a difference between my practice ammo and carry ammo vis a vis recoil, controlllability, and accuracy at self defense ranges,
    You make an excellent point and I agree with your statement "at self defense ranges". There is a difference between Gold Dot 124+p (9mm) and 115 practice ammo in felt recoil for sure. But at SD ranges, it makes no difference. I am still center mass.

I have tested this for my own edification with 115gr +P, 124gr +P and 147gr and found the poi variation out to 25 yds to be insignificant for me.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    You make an excellent point and I agree with your statement "at self defense ranges". There is a difference between Gold Dot 124+p (9mm) and 115 practice ammo in felt recoil for sure. But at SD ranges, it makes no difference. I am still center mass.
    I run standard pressure in my pistols; 230 in .45, 147 in 9mm.

I really can't tell the difference between a 147gr HST and a 115gr WWB FMJ, recoil wise...and that's another reason why I like the heavy, standard pressure loads.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by PairA10s View Post
    I have a few rounds of Triton 165 grain JHP .45 ACP +P, 230 grain Golden Sabre JHP, and some Hornady JHP for my 1911 is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I have a box of 50 CCI Blazer 125 grain FMJ .38 Special +P, some 110 grain .357 Mag JHP, some 125 .38 Special +P JHP for my Windicator is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I am considering 6 rounds of .357 Magnum Glaser Safety Slugs and some 180 grain Hard Cast LSWCs.

I love my guns.

I would appreciate any help/ideas Ya'll have in this area.
    Think you're fine. You have two very powerful caliber choices to begin with - anything for either that's standard SD loading form a reliable manufacturer will likely serve you well.
    Last edited by walleye; October 7th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links