.45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo?

This is a discussion on .45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few rounds of Triton 165 grain JHP .45 ACP +P, 230 grain Golden Sabre JHP, and some Hornady JHP for my 1911 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .45 ACP & .357 Magnum PD Ammo?

I have a few rounds of Triton 165 grain JHP .45 ACP +P, 230 grain Golden Sabre JHP, and some Hornady JHP for my 1911 is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I have a box of 50 CCI Blazer 125 grain FMJ .38 Special +P, some 110 grain .357 Mag JHP, some 125 .38 Special +P JHP for my Windicator is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I am considering 6 rounds of .357 Magnum Glaser Safety Slugs and some 180 grain Hard Cast LSWCs.

I love my guns.

I would appreciate any help/ideas Ya'll have in this area.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

I use winchester ranger 230grain in my .45

I uses 125 grain golden sabre exclusively in my .357 of the same flavor
    RebelRabbi likes this.

I don't carry a .45 acp anymore, but do carry a .357 Mag. In the .357 I am partial to BB Heavy 125gr JHC and Win 145gr STHPs for human interaction and BB 180gr LFN-GC for critters.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I prefer Golden Saber for both my .357 (125 grain) and .45 (230 grain).
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Federal HST 230gr, Speer Gold Dot 230gr, Winchester Ranger-T 230gr
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

Bump on the federal hst 230 grn, especialy the plus p

I like Speer Gold Dots 158gr JHP in my .357s. In my .45, I've been carrying Golden Sabre 230gr JHP.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'd either shoot up the Glasers or flush them. Stay away from designer bullets and use loads with good conventional hollowpoints. Stay heavy in the 45, and no lighter than 125 with the 357. Then you can have confidence that you have a good proven loading in your gun. If you load 38spl, use 158 grain swc, or 158 grn HPs.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'd either shoot up the Glasers or flush them. Stay away from designer bullets and use loads with good conventional hollowpoints. Stay heavy in the 45, and no lighter than 125 with the 357. Then you can have confidence that you have a good proven loading in your gun. If you load 38spl, use 158 grain swc, or 158 grn HPs.
    This. ^^
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." - Col. Jeff Cooper

[EDC: HK P2000 SK .40 S&W]

Quote Originally Posted by PairA10s View Post
    I have a few rounds of Triton 165 grain JHP .45 ACP +P, 230 grain Golden Sabre JHP, and some Hornady JHP for my 1911 is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I have a box of 50 CCI Blazer 125 grain FMJ .38 Special +P, some 110 grain .357 Mag JHP, some 125 .38 Special +P JHP for my Windicator is there any new ammo that is better for CCW?

I am considering 6 rounds of .357 Magnum Glaser Safety Slugs and some 180 grain Hard Cast LSWCs.

I love my guns.

I would avoid going light in either caliber. In .45, 185 gr is about the minimum and the Win Silvertip has a decent record on the street, but 200 & 230 grain are hard to beat, even in hardball. IMHO +P is unnecessary in .45 ACP.

Echoing glockman10mm's sentiments. skip the Glaser rounds. Pricey, you won't want to pay for a hundred or more to check for reliable function, and although they create a trauma surgeon's nightmare they neither penetrate deeply nor are capable of breaking bones (such as the pelvis). Just about any 'name brand' 125 gr JHP .357 will be the best you can do for defensive use.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For the .45, any quality 230gr JHP that your pistol feeds reliably would likely be your best choice.

In the .357...I like 158's, but the track record of a full-power 125gr is hard to argue with...Gold Dots would likely be my choice in either case; the shallow, sharp-edged "pie-plate" nose on those rounds will work like a wadcutter in case they fail to open, I would think.

And I'll join the "Dump the Glaser" chorus. It's a gimmick round.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I prefer Golden Saber for both my .357 (125 grain) and .45 (230 grain).
    This !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    GS for the calibers you asked about

Glassier are ok if you will be in hardened areas like cement buildings ,walls and such that glassier will not be as inclined to ricochet. rather they hit and slide.
    most civilians i do not perceive as having this need. though you may wish to load your SD revolver with them if you are an apt dweller. less likely to shoot through a wall into
    your neighbor. i say revolver cause they may not reliably cycle a semi-auto. and 100% they will not cycle the slide if there is not one in the pipe
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by PairA10s View Post

I love my guns.

I know of a good site that does sell up to date ammo for cheap prices its ammunitionstore.com

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I just swapped my Hydra-Shocks for my Glasers. I live in an apartment, and I think they're better for 'safe' SD shooting- less likely to punch through than a hollow point.

Just my opinion, based on the information I've found on them. Luckily, I haven't had to use either.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links