Wet Phone Books - Page 2

Wet Phone Books

This is a discussion on Wet Phone Books within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by adric22 Regardless of the outcome you can be sure my tests will be better than 99% of what is out there on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Phone Books

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Regardless of the outcome you can be sure my tests will be better than 99% of what is out there on youtube.
    I'm already convinced. Go for it! My only point was to think ahead to how you might best control variables so they don't corrupt your test data. Youtube "tests" are for the most part pretty laughable!

very few people on this planet know more about science and engineering than me
    Pretty strong words... got creds?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Pretty strong words... got creds?
    I don't mean to say that I'm smarter than Steven Hawking. I'm just saying if you rounded up a 1,000 random people, chances are I'd be at the top of list. Here's some of my work:

This is when I was featured on my local new channel for building an electric car back in 2008. Spent many hours calculating drag coefficients, rolling resistance, weight, and things like amps/volts.

This next video is from my "Ev Talk" miniseries where I try to explain the laws of thermodynamics to all of the idiots who keep emailing me about putting a generator on my car.

In this video I explain what it is like to drive a hybrid vehicle with a plug-in kit installed.

And this is a video from many, many years ago when I used to do digital camera reviews. This one, despite being old, is significant because it sort of reflects what I'm thinking about doing with guns. I'm thinking about reviewing them and being able more accurately compare each gun to the next as I make more videos. You'll see the standard test I use about half-way through this video to determine the camera's "real" resolution. I want to have a standard test for testing the penetrating power of each gun I test.

By the way - I'm normally a very humble person. I don't go around constantly telling people I'm smarter than them. The only problem, around here certain people keep treating me like I'm some kind of idiot with an IQ of 65 or something. So I'm constantly being forced to defend myself. I wouldn't have even brought it up if somebody hadn't mentioned that I didn't even know what the scientific method was.

Well, you certainly apply a good level of thought and scrutiny to your projects. Give it a go and let's see what you come up with.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Just FYI - I appear to have answered my own question that I posted as the original post to this thread. I wasn't sure what the effect was of making a phone book wet. Was it to make it denser, or to make it softer? Now I know. It definitely makes it softer and the bullet will penetrate further. I did some tests with two identical phone books, one soaked overnight and the other dry. The wet book had much more penetration, despite being heavier and theoretically denser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links