What Is Your go To place for Cheap Ammo now?

This is a discussion on What Is Your go To place for Cheap Ammo now? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently picked up several new handguns in new calibers that I didn't own before. I've checked my usual go to catalogs for the best ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What Is Your go To place for Cheap Ammo now?

I've recently picked up several new handguns in new calibers that I didn't own before. I've checked my usual go to catalogs for the best prices and am still coming up with the Sportsmans guide and Cheaper than Dirt for the best prices. Are you guys finding better deals than what can be found when buying in bulk. Even my new pistols chambered in calibers i already own are gonna be function tested and broken in with several hundred rounds minimum each. Then on to several hundred more rounds of my chosen SD loads so anything that can save me some cash will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance as always for any info.
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Walmart seems to have the cheapest ammo for pistols, I can pick up 100 Winchester .45 for $33. I'm thinking about beginning to reload, and also found out a local gun shop will reload for me at .28 cents per .45 round if I bring them the brass. Having been saving the brass and going to try the shops reloads.

Glad I still have my Browning Buckmaster .22, $18 bucks for 550 Federal is always affordable (and helpful when you have three kids that like to shoot).
    oneshot likes this.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

It really depends on caliber. Yes, walmart is probably your best bet. (10.47 for 50rds of 9mm Federal!)

My personal experience is that after shipping its usually better to buy local. That being said, there are exceptions. 7.62x39 rounds for my AK cost like 10 bucks for 20 rounds. Online: 3.50 per 20rds. So do some checking.

Here is my personal favorite: gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals (user submitted ammo deals)
    KindOfBlue and mauser1959 like this.

For practice ammo,I use Palmetto State Armory in S.C. 9mm. is usually about $9-$10 per box.
    Federal aluminum is generally the cheapest and shipping to FL is $12/case.
    This is the same or a bit less than Walmart with sales tax included.
    Even if I pay a few cents more per box,I have the ammo and don't have to search for it.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Administrator
    I'll go through the local FOP or gun club. Getting a number of guys together on a group purchase and buying by the pallet saves a ton of money. But, the down side is, if you get 20 guys to commit, at least 5 will back out when it comes time to pay up. So, it does take some effort if your the one organizing the purchase. On the plus side, once you've done it a few times, you know who's a legit buyer and you develop some contacts at the distributor or factory.

Another down side is you have to put up a lot of cash all at once for your ammo purchase. But, in doing so, I've saved 50% or better in comparison to off the shelf prices.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I but my guns and accessories at a particular gun shop...they treat me right...I never pay the asking price of anything...they always offer the lower prices.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar

same place it has been for 30+ years--my basement.

Missouri bullets loves me, i keep a 3 year supply of components for 27 calibers and what for instructing,
    playing and various matches dats a lot of stuff!! many have more, but im happy that whatever i want to
    make is just a caliber change and a few minutes of work away.
    pistol lead average 12 cents a round, jacketed at 18.
    rifle match around 50 cents, plinking lead ~30 cents.
    custom Italian 10.4 may be a buck each and Colt Long 32 at 30 cents.

but shooting something made in 1871 or 1894 is +good fun
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

9mm - Ammunition to Go. Usually costs me around $11 per box of 50 INCLUDING shipping

.40 S&W - Walmart. Last time I went (5 days ago) I paid $14 per box of 50.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Like Claude, except for bullets I cast and lube in my garage,then to load them in my house in the reloading room,I currently have about 24 pounds of pistol powder and about 65,000 primers.I reload for about .05 cents a round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Walmart for good quality practice ammo. Federal $10.47 for a box of 50. Also the boxes of 250 of Remington UMC (which I prefer) for $49.99.

Yep! Wal-Mart is usually #1 for for me and Dick's Sporting Goods is pretty good too.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

I am an advocate for buying local, when possible. I try to buy everything I need/need locally. Now that being said I do bargain hunt and shop online when specific items can not be found are reasonably priced locally. We also still do a lot of trade's here for instance I welded up a guys trailer frame for him laying bricks (new fire pit). So after all that I buy mainly from my local gun store.

I like to check Gun-deals.com for ammo prices. It adds in the estimated shipping cost to the cost per round.

Agree with reloading. No good reason not to. Much cheaper, higher quality, and you can load just what you want to shoot up, or create a stockpile.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I went to the loading press all afternoon today for a batch of ammunition I wanted to shoot next week.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links