Bulk ammo?

This is a discussion on Bulk ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gatech33 I was told Sig's don't like re-loads, but I do buy my 9mm ammo 100 at a time from Georgia Arms ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bulk ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by gatech33 View Post
    I was told Sig's don't like re-loads, but I do buy my 9mm ammo 100 at a time from Georgia Arms with no issues.
    Thats the first time I ever heard that,I cast lead bullets and reload for all my guns,around 5 to 6 cents a round for handgun ammo can't be beat,and around 8 cents a round for 223 is amazing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats the first time I ever heard that,I cast lead bullets and reload for all my guns,around 5 to 6 cents a round for handgun ammo can't be beat,and around 8 cents a round for 223 is amazing
    Your my Idol.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gatech33 View Post
    I was told Sig's don't like re-loads, but I do buy my 9mm ammo 100 at a time from Georgia Arms with no issues.
    I am pretty sure guns can't tell the difference between reloads and factory loads. They can tell the difference between in-spec and out-of-spec cartridge geometry, and springs may react differently to different powder loads, however.

I have shot quite literally thousands of rounds of Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" in 9mm, .45ACP, and .40S&W through a variety of my SIGs. I have also shot thousands of rounds of my own reloads in 9mm and .45ACP. I think I found 2 rounds of GA Arms that had obvious bullet setback when I went to stuff them in a magazine, but never a problem with any round that of theirs that I've fired. Of course, I have seen folks found more than two unusable rounds in a single 5-round box of WWB, so I think GA Arms' record is pretty godd.

Also, Eric the Ammoman usually has some awesome deals on ammo. Right now he has a thousand rounds of factory 9mm for cheaper than any remanufactured stuff. Since his prices all include shipping, they are even better than they seem on first glance.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Just another thought to throw out there.... Any ammo manufacturer can make rounds with either new or used brass. If they do the latter, we call it "reloaded" ammo, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. There are two main reasons we look to "factory" or new ammo when we buy.

1. Boxed factory ammo is produced in lots, and the manufacturer keeps exemplar ammo in stock that can be used for ballistics evidence in a court of law. For example, you are involved in a defensive shooting; you claim the scumbag was ten feet away when you fired, and his sleazy defense lawyer says he was thirty feet away and you are a trigger-happy nut-job. You have the box from your defensive ammo, so you can get an expert to request exemplar rounds from the same lot from the maker. That will be used in test firing to demonstrate ballistics, GSR patterns, &c., to show at what distance you really nailed said scumbag. This is only a real issue for defensive ammo, not practice ammo, obviously.

2. Factory ammo is insured, meaning if the manufacturer's rounds go boom, they can be held liable for the damage to the gun and any resulting injuries. You can get manufacturer's insurance even with used brass reloads, depending on who made it. My understanding is that when this applies, the ammo will be called "remanufactured" as opposed to "reloaded". This is what I found out when looking into buying bulk ammo for shooting classes; the range policy for such classes usually insists on "factory" ammo precisely because of the insurance implications. If you are worried about a voided gun warranty from bulk ammo, simply call the supplier and ask if the insure against such incidents.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    All of my guns love Georgia Arms ammo, as does my wallet.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links