Double Tap 357 Sig

This is a discussion on Double Tap 357 Sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Double Tap loads in all my carry pistols and am always impressed with the velocity and exceptional accuracy! I chronoed 125 gr. Sierra ...

Thread: Double Tap 357 Sig

Double Tap 357 Sig

I use Double Tap loads in all my carry pistols and am always impressed with the velocity and exceptional accuracy! I chronoed 125 gr. Sierra JHPs today in my Sig 229.....3 five shot strings averaged 1402 fps......pretty impressive in a 3.9" bbl.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

2. Remove Ads

That is impressive. Have you tried other ammo for comparison?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    That is impressive. Have you tried other ammo for comparison?
    Not yet.....I ordered several hundred DT 357 rounds when I ordered my 239 Sig and just happened to have my 229 with me when I was at the ranch today meeting the feed truck.....I broke out the chrono and shot a few strings real quick before heading home......I'll probably check some other brands when I have some time during Hunting Season, but I'm pretty sold on DT! Their accuracy is Outstanding, not to mention Velocity!
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I like the control and accuracy of the 38+P and 9mm+P Barnes TAC-XP loads, but have yet to chrono them or
    shoot anything but targets with them.

The already street proven (DPX) Barnes X bullet has a lot to offer.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i roll my own for my p-239/40 and 1400 fps is the goal with the 357's
    for IDPA i use the 357. for carry the 40's. for fun--9mm's.

heck of a fine combination -- guns balance and accuracy with the sierra bullets.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    i roll my own for my p-239/40 and 1400 fps is the goal with the 357's
    for IDPA i use the 357. for carry the 40's. for fun--9mm's.

heck of a fine combination -- guns balance and accuracy with the sierra bullets.
    I've rolled my own since I was 12 and had a chronograph since I was 18 and have always enjoyed it, as well as it being cost effective......I was spoiled.....I could test loads right out the window from my loading bench which made working up loads for accuracy and pressure very easy to do. Since moving from the ranch, I don't load any more....like I said, I was spoiled and loading and going back and forth to the range was just to much of a hassle, so I buy my ammo now from premium manufacturers like Black Hills, HSM and Conlee Precision for my rifles and now Double Tap for my handguns. As impressive as the DTs in both accuracy and velocity, I'm going to give their rifle ammo a try, as well......these guys really seem to know what they're doing!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I like what you you to say in your posts about Double Tap.

The only problem I see with the DT 147 JHP is that it uses the Winchester JHP,
    as opposed to other loads like the trusted 9mm 147 Gr. Gold Dot, and other bullets
    that seem to be far more advanced then the Winchester.

These would be the Barnes TAC-XP as loaded by DT in both 9mm and 357 SIG,
    along with other designs like the Hornady 147 gr XTP.

I guess if you shoot the 147 357 you are really just looking for a deep penetrating load,
    and the Winchester will probably deliver the goods.

Alas, I still don't see why DT doesn't offer the 125 gr. TAC-XP in 357 SIG, unless
    the bullet is just too long for good powder capacity.

I know people on GT have used the 125s in hand loads.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    I like what you you to say in your posts about Double Tap.

The only problem I see with the DT 147 JHP is that it uses the Winchester JHP,
    as opposed to other loads like the trusted 9mm 147 Gr. Gold Dot, and other bullets
    that seem to be far more advanced then the Winchester.
    These would be the Barnes TAC-XP as loaded by DT in both 9mm and 357 SIG,
    along with other designs like the Hornady 147 gr XTP.
    I guess if you shoot the 147 357 you are really just looking for a deep penetrating load,
    and the Winchester will probably deliver the goods.
    Alas, I still don't see why DT doesn't offer the 125 gr. TAC-XP in 357 SIG, unless
    the bullet is just too long for good powder capacity.

I know people on GT have used the 125s in hand loads.
    I've questioned them about their bullet selection and I'm still not sure I completely understand their reasoning! I too would like to see the 125 gr TAC-XP in 357 Sig, as well as 185 for 45 acp.....but whether I understand their reasoning or not, they sure know what they're doing......power, accuracy and consistency are "second to none!"

DT is the only ammo I use for serious purposes that I don't make myself. It's the best IMO.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    DT is the only ammo I use for serious purposes that I don't make myself. It's the best IMO.
    I agree!

Links