Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

This is a discussion on Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sort of off-topic, but I figured I'd share this with everyone! Being under 21, I'm forced to buy 9mm rounds for my "carbine". Both times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

  1. #1
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94

    Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

    Sort of off-topic, but I figured I'd share this with everyone!

    Being under 21, I'm forced to buy 9mm rounds for my "carbine". Both times I've bought ammo so far were strange to me.

    The first time I bought my 9mm ammo was at a local Meijer, and I neither got carded nor got asked what type of weapon I was purchasing for. I definitely look at least 21, but I thought their policy was to card under 40. Interesting.

    The second time was at a local Walmart. Bought 4 boxes of Federal 9mm along with some shotgun shells. Got carded there, but I was never asked what type of weapon I was using. The employee even cracked a joke after I bought, asking if I had my gun on me.

    Although I'm actually really happy about this, you'd think they'd know their laws a little better!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array NC Bullseye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC Foothills
    Posts
    2,466
    Officers of the law have a difficult time at best knowing a fair overview of the law. Do you really expect a person that is getting near minimum wage working at a box store to be more cognizant of the laws? Most do just what the display on the cash register tells them to do. Check ID? They check ID.

    Be thankful that they even had the ammo to begin with.

    I can guarantee that sooner or later you'll encounter the exact opposite of that where they'll card you, ask every question in the book, and still not sell it to you so enjoy the easy road for a while.
    bigdog44 likes this.

  4. #3
    Member Array KindOfBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Officers of the law have a difficult time at best knowing a fair overview of the law. Do you really expect a person that is getting near minimum wage working at a box store to be more cognizant of the laws? Most do just what the display on the cash register tells them to do. Check ID? They check ID.

    Be thankful that they even had the ammo to begin with.

    I can guarantee that sooner or later you'll encounter the exact opposite of that where they'll card you, ask every question in the book, and still not sell it to you so enjoy the easy road for a while.
    You'd think the register would automatically tell them 21+ though! Weird. You're right though, definitely wouldn't expect it out of a minimum wage worker just following computer prompts.

    I'm ready for them to decline me- I'll just politely ask to speak with a manager! :)
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array gunthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    home office
    Posts
    2,355
    It's good you haven't been hasseled yet. When you are, it's a sign you need to set up a reloading bench.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,401
    I don't know why it matters but I almost always get asked at Wal-Mart if the handgun ammo I'm buying is for a handgun or rifle. I'm over 50. I've just gotten into the habit of saying rifle for everything. The cashier will just kind of grin and nod. Someone once told me it was because they had a policy of not selling handgun ammo after certain hours. But for the last year or so they won't sell any ammo after 9pm. They also sometimes ask for a phone number. I give them the number of someone I don't like.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array Tzadik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Suffolk, Virginia
    Posts
    608
    When I was 19 (20 + yrs ago) I was arrested for concealed weapon and
    my carbine and ammo were confiscated. I was not convicted of the crime
    as I was not in any shape or form guilty of it, but I was guilty of having the
    9mm ammo which the police ran through my gun while it was in their possession.
    I was never charged with the ammo offense.

    BTW you can be arrested for ANYTHING... doesn't mean you'll be convicted,
    but you can be brought into custody. Don't ever pull the "You can't arrest me,
    I haven't done anything illeagal" attitude. It'll bite you in the ass.

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,711
    Where do you live where Wally employees ask what gun it's for? Never heard that one here in SC or in GA. Tell em the 9mm are for your Howitzer.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array borglyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    889
    It is the same with me too. Meijer just gets the ammo, Walmart asks what it is for. Maybe a Michigan thing?
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

  10. #9
    Member Array Aiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    387
    I buy practice ammo in. 223 and 9mm from WM and have never been asked what type of gun I was purchasing for-odd. I live in SC.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array high pockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Georgia for now
    Posts
    4,410
    Maybe this will help explain why they ask


    Minimum Age Restrictions

    Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1)).
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

    - Anon

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I don't know why it matters but I almost always get asked at Wal-Mart if the handgun ammo I'm buying is for a handgun or rifle. I'm over 50. I've just gotten into the habit of saying rifle for everything. The cashier will just kind of grin and nod. Someone once told me it was because they had a policy of not selling handgun ammo after certain hours. But for the last year or so they won't sell any ammo after 9pm. They also sometimes ask for a phone number. I give them the number of someone I don't like.
    I always give the same phone # anytime anyone asks, and it's none of their business... 202-289-5769
    It's to the Brady Campaign to prevent gun violence. (aka the brady bunch)
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  13. #12
    Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,401
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Where do you live where Wally employees ask what gun it's for? Never heard that one here in SC or in GA. Tell em the 9mm are for your Howitzer.
    Greenville area
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I always give the same phone # anytime anyone asks, and it's none of their business... 202-289-5769
    It's to the Brady Campaign to prevent gun violence. (aka the brady bunch)
    I love it!!!

  15. #14
    Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Greenville area
    Interesting.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array RebelRabbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Smithfield NC
    Posts
    574
    Probably the way you carry yourself. Honest men usually look a person in the eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mm ammo michigan
,
9pm ammo
,
buy 9mm ammo
,
buy 9mm rounds
,

buying 9mm ammo under 21

,
can i buy 9mm ammo if im 18
,
guns ammo confiscation
,
meijer 9mm ammo
,
under 21 buy 9mm ammo
,
walmart 9mm
,

walmart ammo virginia

,
where can i buy 9mm ammunition
Click on a term to search for related topics.