Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

This is a discussion on Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sort of off-topic, but I figured I'd share this with everyone! Being under 21, I'm forced to buy 9mm rounds for my "carbine". Both times ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

Interesting encounters buying 9mm rounds

Sort of off-topic, but I figured I'd share this with everyone!

Being under 21, I'm forced to buy 9mm rounds for my "carbine". Both times I've bought ammo so far were strange to me.

The first time I bought my 9mm ammo was at a local Meijer, and I neither got carded nor got asked what type of weapon I was purchasing for. I definitely look at least 21, but I thought their policy was to card under 40. Interesting.

The second time was at a local Walmart. Bought 4 boxes of Federal 9mm along with some shotgun shells. Got carded there, but I was never asked what type of weapon I was using. The employee even cracked a joke after I bought, asking if I had my gun on me.

Although I'm actually really happy about this, you'd think they'd know their laws a little better!
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

2. Remove Ads

Officers of the law have a difficult time at best knowing a fair overview of the law. Do you really expect a person that is getting near minimum wage working at a box store to be more cognizant of the laws? Most do just what the display on the cash register tells them to do. Check ID? They check ID.

Be thankful that they even had the ammo to begin with.

I can guarantee that sooner or later you'll encounter the exact opposite of that where they'll card you, ask every question in the book, and still not sell it to you so enjoy the easy road for a while.
    bigdog44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Officers of the law have a difficult time at best knowing a fair overview of the law. Do you really expect a person that is getting near minimum wage working at a box store to be more cognizant of the laws? Most do just what the display on the cash register tells them to do. Check ID? They check ID.

Be thankful that they even had the ammo to begin with.

I can guarantee that sooner or later you'll encounter the exact opposite of that where they'll card you, ask every question in the book, and still not sell it to you so enjoy the easy road for a while.
    You'd think the register would automatically tell them 21+ though! Weird. You're right though, definitely wouldn't expect it out of a minimum wage worker just following computer prompts.

I'm ready for them to decline me- I'll just politely ask to speak with a manager! :)
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

VIP Member
    It's good you haven't been hasseled yet. When you are, it's a sign you need to set up a reloading bench.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't know why it matters but I almost always get asked at Wal-Mart if the handgun ammo I'm buying is for a handgun or rifle. I'm over 50. I've just gotten into the habit of saying rifle for everything. The cashier will just kind of grin and nod. Someone once told me it was because they had a policy of not selling handgun ammo after certain hours. But for the last year or so they won't sell any ammo after 9pm. They also sometimes ask for a phone number. I give them the number of someone I don't like.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

When I was 19 (20 + yrs ago) I was arrested for concealed weapon and
    my carbine and ammo were confiscated. I was not convicted of the crime
    as I was not in any shape or form guilty of it, but I was guilty of having the
    9mm ammo which the police ran through my gun while it was in their possession.
    I was never charged with the ammo offense.

BTW you can be arrested for ANYTHING... doesn't mean you'll be convicted,
    but you can be brought into custody. Don't ever pull the "You can't arrest me,
    I haven't done anything illeagal" attitude. It'll bite you in the ass.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Where do you live where Wally employees ask what gun it's for? Never heard that one here in SC or in GA. Tell em the 9mm are for your Howitzer.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

It is the same with me too. Meijer just gets the ammo, Walmart asks what it is for. Maybe a Michigan thing?
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I buy practice ammo in. 223 and 9mm from WM and have never been asked what type of gun I was purchasing for-odd. I live in SC.

Maybe this will help explain why they ask

Minimum Age Restrictions

Federal law regulates the sale of ammunition to young people. It bars licensed manufacturers or dealers from selling long gun ammunition to anyone who they believe is under age 18. Also they may not sell handgun ammunition to anyone they reasonably believe is under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1)).
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I don't know why it matters but I almost always get asked at Wal-Mart if the handgun ammo I'm buying is for a handgun or rifle. I'm over 50. I've just gotten into the habit of saying rifle for everything. The cashier will just kind of grin and nod. Someone once told me it was because they had a policy of not selling handgun ammo after certain hours. But for the last year or so they won't sell any ammo after 9pm. They also sometimes ask for a phone number. I give them the number of someone I don't like.
    I always give the same phone # anytime anyone asks, and it's none of their business... 202-289-5769
    It's to the Brady Campaign to prevent gun violence. (aka the brady bunch)
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Where do you live where Wally employees ask what gun it's for? Never heard that one here in SC or in GA. Tell em the 9mm are for your Howitzer.
    Greenville area
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I always give the same phone # anytime anyone asks, and it's none of their business... 202-289-5769
    It's to the Brady Campaign to prevent gun violence. (aka the brady bunch)
    I love it!!!

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Greenville area
    Interesting.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Probably the way you carry yourself. Honest men usually look a person in the eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links