9mm or .40? defense ammo - Page 2

9mm or .40? defense ammo

This is a discussion on 9mm or .40? defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The 40 is supperior at what? More powerful at what? All the experts that have studied the data cannot conclude 40 is superior to a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 9mm or .40? defense ammo

The 40 is supperior at what? More powerful at what?

All the experts that have studied the data cannot conclude 40 is superior to a 9. The differences between 9, 357, 40, 45 are way too small to mean anything. Sometimes a 9mm does it better than a 45, and vice versa. Because the differences are so small, the outcomes become very random. The differences in 9 vs. 40 calibers have nothing to do with incapacitating the attacker is the general conclusion to their research.

Who can say? Folks who prefer the 40 over the 9 because the 9 "just aint enough" are putting their faith into "bigger is better." The 40 does sling a larger, heavier bullet, and has a bigger case. But that does not necessarily mean it is superior to the 9. Or maybe it does. I am no expert. Maybe all the negative things heard about the 9 are due to poor ammo choice in a given defensive situation. Or poor shooting. Or the frightening realization that the 9 may not drop a threat immediately (possible with any choice of handgun). I have shot most of the popular defensive cartridge choices, revolver and auto. But my targets have always been paper or cardboard. Never had to shoot a human, hope I never have to. I am not afraid to carry my 380 Beretta. But neither do I think a 45 (or even a 44, for that matter) is too much. I say get what you want, feed it good defensive ammo, and practice a lot. They have all worked and have all failed. Having never shot a human, I (like the majority of people) have no idea if there is or is not a difference in defensive performance between the 9 and the 40. Or any of the others. But it is fun to debate them.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage
    Who can say?
    There's been studies by experts in law enforcement and coroners. They have not been able to conclude there's a difference of incapacitation between 9mm and 40. Whatever size difference there is, it doesn't make a difference incapacitating someone. The difference is so small that it becomes random.

The best you can do is shot placement, training, practice, and capacity.

Well, what I meant by that is that in one situation, a threat drops instantly to a well placed 9mm bullet that is designed for defense. In another situation, the threat needs several well placed rounds (from a 40) to be stopped. Why? Who knows. I guess some guys can handle more than others. I agree with you that it does not really matter what you carry, only that you train hard and get competent with the gun that you do carry.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

I enjoy shooting my glock 22 in 40 because I had shot a glock 17 for a decent amount of time and felt that I had become pacified with it. I wanted something that would continue to challenge me.. and shooting a 40 does.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

9MM vs 40 Defense ammo!!!! This is always about "Shot Placement". Nothing less or more. Where did you shoot the bullets when you shot them??? Where did they land and what damage did they do?? Not the calibre of bullet but where did it go and now what damage did it do with the brand and style of the bullet?? If you got multiple hits from a 9MM Corbon DPX bullet, you may have scored higher, but if you shot another brand and had several misses with their bullets then things are not as good as they may have been. Me I practice lots of time in a given month and way more than the local Police. BTW, they have more hits on the Target Carriers than in the others carriers at my range...
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I appreciate all the facts and opinions.

I guess I am a little baffled at how many gun owners like the .40's inspite of their kick. Like has been said it's a matter of pure preference. I enjoy my 9mm & my .45acp & I guess I'll just have to rent a
    .40 and see if I can get hooked on that caliber as well. I once heard you can't have to many. I think we can all agree on that.

Its a win win.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Recently went to the local gun range and inquired about a .40 G23. the clerk asked me why I'd want a .40 when 9mm ammo has come so far in the last 5 years? I also heard from other sources, can't remember whom I heard it from that the .40 would be somewhat obsolete over the next ten years. I do agree 9mm ammo has made huge strides but not so sure on some of the negative opinions I've heard about .40's. What are your thoughts?

I can't remember the brands but he did show me two manufacturers that had 9mm ammo with velocities over 1300fps one was 1475fps
    Did the shop sell .40's? If so, did you ask the clerk, WHY?

Seriously, shoot whichever works best for you, consider followup shot control,(recoil management), concealability, ammo cost(if this is a big factor). Overall what you like most/least about each one.

I have stated this before here and it bears repeating in this situation

Our local instructor says there are three important factors in handgun defense.
    1. Shot placement
    2. Shot placement
    3. Shot placement

Shot my Glock 22 in IDPA yesterday. I was 9th most accurate out of 89 competitors. Just something to consider. If you can rent a .40 and if you like it, get one.
    jackrock likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I own guns in all 3 calibers,and SD ammo is either Federal HST,Or Winchester Ranger T series in 9,40,and 45 acp.I don't feel undergunned with either one,but EDC is a 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I appreciate all the facts and opinions.

I guess I am a little baffled at how many gun owners like the .40's inspite of their kick. Like has been said it's a matter of pure preference. I enjoy my 9mm & my .45acp & I guess I'll just have to rent a
    .40 and see if I can get hooked on that caliber as well. I once heard you can't have to many. I think we can all agree on that.

Its a win win.
    I, myself, had a G23 in .40, and it had a nice little kick. Moved on the the M&P40 full size, and the 40 had noticably less kick than the 23. Either way, I can make consistent, accurate hits, and like the ballistics of the .40, so that's what I like. Shot placement is key.

There is a slight edge in terminal performance to the .40. Notice the word "slight". The .40 will be alive and well in 10 years. Shoot them both, with the type of ammo you are likely to carry, pick the one you shoot best. 9mm +P and +P+ are very similar to the .40 in recoil and signature to me. IMHO neither are the equal of the .45 or .357 Sig.

The thing that is hard to refute is that if you want to practice a lot, 1000 rounds of 9mm is cheaper than 1000 rounds of .40. As has been stated several times already on this thread, shot placement is KING. If you got 20 of us together at a range with guns from different makers and in different calibers, you would find that we would all not be most comfortable with the same gun in the same caliber. Find what shoots and feels good to you and practice, practice, practice.
    rammerjammer and Justified like this.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Justified likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    The 40 is supperior at what? More powerful at what?

All the experts that have studied the data cannot conclude 40 is superior to a 9. The differences between 9, 357, 40, 45 are way too small to mean anything. Sometimes a 9mm does it better than a 45, and vice versa. Because the differences are so small, the outcomes become very random. The differences in 9 vs. 40 calibers have nothing to do with incapacitating the attacker is the general conclusion to their research.
    what research is this, I dont even own a .40 and I love 9mm but the facta are facts, . 40 is a bigger, heavier bullet, usually going a lil bit faster, with a lil more muzzle energy. so yes its more "powerful" then 9mm, but is ot enough to pay more for harder to get ammo? I always try to stay with popular calibers keeping battlefield pickups in mind in a shtf scenario. and if I want something more "powerful" then 9mm ill pack .45acp. why half ass it? imo .40 fills a gap that didnt need filled. I know to many ppl who buy them cause they heard this or that in a movie or song and think its cool. everyone I know that has a .40 when asked why they got it its usually, uh I just always wanted one.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigdl86 View Post
    what research is this
    Just to get you started:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rspective.html

Just because something is bigger and has more energy doesn't mean it is going to make a difference. It's still too small. I don't know how else to explain this! It's like every time a rocket takes off from Earth, the rocket moves the Earth. Did it change Earth's orbit?

So the real debate becomes how small the difference. According to the studies, the difference is small enough that it cannot be measured in real life. And that's why you still see 9 mm (and 40) being used by law enforcement and world militaries.

All else, it just comes down to someone's "feelings" or maybe someone's anecdotal evidence.
    RebelRabbi likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links