9mm or .40? defense ammo

This is a discussion on 9mm or .40? defense ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently went to the local gun range and inquired about a .40 G23. the clerk asked me why I'd want a .40 when 9mm ammo ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 9mm or .40? defense ammo

9mm or .40? defense ammo

Recently went to the local gun range and inquired about a .40 G23. the clerk asked me why I'd want a .40 when 9mm ammo has come so far in the last 5 years? I also heard from other sources, can't remember whom I heard it from that the .40 would be somewhat obsolete over the next ten years. I do agree 9mm ammo has made huge strides but not so sure on some of the negative opinions I've heard about .40's. What are your thoughts?

I can't remember the brands but he did show me two manufacturers that had 9mm ammo with velocities over 1300fps one was 1475fps
    Last edited by ConcealedG30; June 29th, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Remove Ads

Meh. Velocity isn't everything.

I prefer 9 because of the faster follow up shots and cheaper ammo. Plus there aren't as many reliable subcompact 40s out there as there are reliable subcompact 9s.

But I can see the upside to 40 as well. I jsut prefer 9 for that application. When I want to carry something bigger I carry my 45. To each his own!
    JohnWFD likes this.

I carry both a G26 9mm & G30sf .45 like 'em both I just thought if the G23 .40 was a killer round then I needed one of them too. Can't have to many guns.

I can't imagine the .40S&W round being obsolete in 10 years, but I don't have a crystal ball either.

I personally like the .40 round but I can also appreciate those who prefer 9mm. .40 tends to have more muzzle flip, so if you have better control and accuracy with 9mm, then that's a good choice. Lots of good ammo and weapon choices out there in both calibers, so it comes down to personal preference really. If you like a certain platform (Glock, XD, etc.) then you should try the same weapon in both calibers and see which you are more comfortable and proficient with. I chose my XD40sc because I can shoot the eyes out with it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Cool 9mm or .40

Like anything else, we all prefer a certain caliber, just as we prefer a certain brand of handgun. Without getting into any type of caliber war ..... it's up to each individual to choose the caliber that he/she can control and be the most accurate with.
    I currently have two .45's a .38 and two 9mm pistols. You will notice the .40 is missing. I usually carry a .38 or 9mm for CCW, and sometimes the .45 ..... which is the cailber I chose over the .40
    But that's me, and my choice......
    So ..... my answer to the post, would be the 9mm ......

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Recently went to the local gun range and inquired about a .40 G23. the clerk asked me why I'd want a .40 when 9mm ammo has come so far in the last 5 years?
    next time tell him "because that's what I want so shut up and sell me one
    I also heard from other sources, can't remember whom I heard it from that the .40 would be somewhat obsolete over the next ten years.
    too many LE agencies use it for it to go away
    I do agree 9mm ammo has made huge strides but not so sure on some of the negative opinions I've heard about .40's. What are your thoughts?

I can't remember the brands but he did show me two manufacturers that had 9mm ammo with velocities over 1300fps one was 1475fps
    9mm is a fine round in the heaviest weights. I won't carry a 9mm but many do and trust it. It has come a long way and is a very viable SD round.

My only .40 cal handgun is an M&P 40c. NO reliability issues and easily controlled. Too much hype about muzzle flip and snappiness in the .40 round. If you want a gun chambered in .40 then try a few and get one. Dont let some gun shop sales person convince you that you should buy something that is more than likely being pushed to increase his profit margin.
    357and40 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I always heard that the .40 caliber is just a 10mm short.

Personally I like the .40 over the 9mm, but only due to the heavier loading. I've always like my women on the light side, but when it comes to my bullets, the bigger the better IMB.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Gun store clerks are not always the best sources of unbiased information. Did that store not have a Glock 23 to show you?

The .40 is here to stay. Over half over the American law enforcement agencies use .40 S+W as their standard caliber, with 9mm trailing behind even the .45 as an issue caliber these days.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

9x19 is a caliber that is used in more countries around the world and is also what is issued to our fine armed forces. It is usually easier to shoot for most people, less expensive, more available, excellent SD ammunition available, and a wider variety of guns available. I'm not knocking the .40 S&W, I've never shot one, and yes most LEO's are carrying the .40 S&W these days and some still carry the .45 acp. It will come down to what each individual shoots best and can afford. I like the 9x19, but definately wouldn't want to be shot with any of todays defensive ammunition, well let's just say I wouldn't want to be shot period with anything.
    JohnWFD and oneshot like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I always heard that the .40 caliber is just a 10mm short.
    .40 S&W - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The .40 S&W (10×22mm Smith & Wesson) is a rimless pistol cartridge developed jointly by major American firearms manufacturers, Winchester and Smith & Wesson.[3] The .40 S&W was developed from the ground up as a law enforcement cartridge designed to duplicate performance of the FBI's reduced velocity 10mm cartridge which could be retrofitted into medium-frame (9mm size) automatic handguns. It uses .40-inch (10.16 mm) diameter bullets ranging in weight from 125 to 200 grains (9 g to 13 g).[4] A number of loads with hollow point bullets offer a good combination of expansion, penetration, and temporary cavitation; proponents of the hydrostatic shock theory contend that the .40 S&W also has sufficient energy transfer to impart hydrostatic shock.[5][6]
    The rest of the article is pretty cool too.

I just never have had the issue with follow up shots on 40 that some folks have. I really like the 357 sig over either 9 or 40, but if I had to choose between 9 & 40 I will take 40 any day.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Gun store clerks are not always the best sources of unbiased information. Did that store not have a Glock 23 to show you?

The .40 is here to stay. Over half over the American law enforcement agencies use .40 S+W as their standard caliber, with 9mm trailing behind even the .45 as an issue caliber these days.
    I realize many clerks probably know just one thing more than I the price of the gun. That being said. some are also very good. They did have a G23 available for rent & for sale. I can say these guys aren't always the most highly thought of when it comes to customer service come to think of it.

I would have to agree the .40 is here to stay it has a huge following. I can say everyone seems to say the same about them they have more kick like it or not. Obviously not a weapon of choice for the timid.

why I'd want a .40 when 9mm ammo has come so far in the last 5 years?
    A good question to ask. There's no proven reason that there's a difference between 9, 40, 45, 357. People might say something, but there's no evidence, no agency in the world, no coroner, no study, nothing conclusive to prove a caliber I listed is going to make a difference to incapacitate an attack.

.40 would be somewhat obsolete over the next ten years.
    I can't think of one reason why the 40 would be obsolete. No one is worried about it. 9mm might be more available though (more global suppliers).

9mm ammo with velocities over 1300fps one was 1475fps
    More velocity doesn't necessarily provide more benefits.

For 9mm, these are the recommendations by Doctor Gary Roberts, DocGKR:
    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

The list doesn't mean there's not others, but these are the ones that were tested and passed.

Also consider what you plan to do tactically. For me, I can shoot 9mm better from all stances, all grips, one-handed, reached around a corner when behind cover, and other non-ideal situations. Easier to shoot means I have better tactical options that appeal to me.

Bottom line:
    Shot placement is the key. More capacity and better shots help achieve that goal.

Jake

One valid reason to go with a 9 is the lesser recoil. My son can't shoot .40 or .45 worth a darn due to his anticipation of recoil, but he does just fine with the 9mm.

I prefer the 40. Even with arthritis in my wrist I have no problem with it. And yes, I do believe the 40 is superior to the 9. There may not be a large margin but perhaps enough to make a difference the one time I need it to.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Meh. Velocity isn't everything.

I prefer 9 because of the faster follow up shots and cheaper ammo. Plus there aren't as many reliable subcompact 40s out there as there are reliable subcompact 9s.
    But I can see the upside to 40 as well. I jsut prefer 9 for that application. When I want to carry something bigger I carry my 45. To each his own!
    Paul34, I have to challenge this statement. I have a Glock 27 .40 cal sub-compact that is as reliable as it gets.
    AZJD1968, mikecu and ZX9RCAM like this.
    Proud NRA member

Chuck them both and get a 357 SIG. Just kidding. 9mm is cheaper to shoot. 40 throws a wider, heavier bullet. 9mm has less recoil. 40 is a more powerful round. You can squeeze more bullets in the 9. Less filling, tastes great, Ford or Chevy. I have a SIG 229 in 40, and she is a dandy. But I would not be a bit afraid to carry a 9mm, so long as it was loaded with good defense ammo. But all my guns carry good ammo. Better a 9mm with HST than my 40 with hardball.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links