Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber? - Page 2

Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

This is a discussion on Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NO MAGIC BULLET! The caliber you have with you when you need it is the best! Use the one YOU shoot best and ignore all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    NO MAGIC BULLET! The caliber you have with you when you need it is the best! Use the one YOU shoot best and ignore all other advice/comments.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The 155mm HE round is a real man stopper.

With the .40 and .357 Sig you need to keep shooting until the threat has ended.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Why are you considering the 357 barrel to begin with? Is the 40 too snappy or is it because of rumor?
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Either can damage the CNS of a human body.
    A .22 can incapacitate a person as quickly as a .357 sig or a .40 caliber.

30mm HEI is a man killer is man killer too. 40cal against 357cal both are stopping power bullets. placement is critical in any stopping bad guys in the tracks. I think both will do the stopping for self defense in all types of areas. i would use either in all different areas if self defense is warranted

Bark'n ..... I agree 100% ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    I am considering buying a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig 229 40 caliber handgun.
    I have talked to a few LEO friends and they are divided as far as with
    good shot placrment which caliber would incapacitate the fastest.
    It's a BS argument, as all LE Grade handgun ammo is designed to do effectively the same thing - go 12-18 inches deep & expand through multiple barriers.

It's handgun rounds v. handgun rounds. Neither has that much of an energy advantage against the other service rounds that they give significant advantage across the board.

Does one do something a bit better than the other may do? Sure...but across the board? NO.

Buy the one you can get for the best cost, then pick up a .22lr upper for the SIG and practice till you can drop the 1st shot into someone's melon first time - every time.

You want to incapacitate someone with a handgun?

Put their brain on the wall.

North Carolina State Troopers have carried 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig sequentially since 1990. I know and work with thier Firearms Instructors, who are top shelf BTW. The 9mm required multiple hits to stop BG's. The .40 was better. However, these guys absolutely LOVE the .357 Sig. They know guns and shootings, I respect thier opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    North Carolina State Troopers have carried 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig sequentially since 1990. I know and work with thier Firearms Instructors, who are top shelf BTW. The 9mm required multiple hits to stop BG's. The .40 was better. However, these guys absolutely LOVE the .357 Sig. They know guns and shootings, I respect thier opinion on this.
    Have you heard from the Firearms Instructors you work with how much better is the .357Sig performance in stopping the BG compared to the .40 caliber?

Good shot placement, chose which one you can handle the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-O-Matic View Post
    Have you heard from the Firearms Instructors you work with how much better is the .357Sig performance in stopping the BG compared to the .40 caliber?
    Yes, the .357 Sig has developed a reputation with NCSHP for DRT (Down Right There) terminal performance. Troopers often have to shoot through car bodies and auto glass. 9mm +P+ loads are nearly as fast as the .357 Sig but 9mm bullets are more fragile than .357 Sig bullets and tend to fail through auto glass in particular, thier words BTW. The .40 load they used was the 180 grain JHP. It performed better than 9mm JHP. The major problem with the 9? "You have to shoot the SOB 10 times to get him to stop."

I still say its all about shot placement. BTW, I carry .40 S&W in the Winter and .357 SIG in the Summer. I shoot racoons in my Mom's barn once in a while. I've taken coons quicker with less rounds of a .22lr than 180 grain .40 hp. I'm a better aim with a .22lr rifle and can get better shot palacement.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Let me know when them Coons started shooting back at you and then let me know how that precise shot placement thing is working for you.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I have a .357 Sig barrel in my Glock 23, and our Sheriff's Department was testing a 30 year old armored vest for penetration. They asked me to fire one round into the vest, and practically every major caliber was represented that day. The .357 Sig out-penetrated all other rounds except for a standard velocity .22 LR. Go figure! As stated before, placement is everything, and I am equally comfortable with either round in my Glock.
    Was 10mm included?

from all i have read and all the statistics i've seen they are pretty close - bigger .40 bullet has some advantages - faster .357 has some - both are really good handgun rounds. Shot placement is certainly key but when bullets are flying that's usually not what is first place in someone's mind - especially since it's most people's first time! I went thru this same debate before i purchased my beretta 96 - chose .40 because i can find .40 ammo almost anywhere and sig .357 can be hard to find in a country store in the middle of no where. I am really accurate and relatively fast with my 96. recoil in that gun is very manageable for me. Smaller .40's sometimes give me trouble. I had a trigger job done on my 96 and it is spot on - before the trigger job i couldn't hit the side of a barn---standing inside. Just make sure you shoot the gun you carry well and most of the rest is luck and god.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links