Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

This is a discussion on Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everything I have heard about and read in print is that .357 Sig is doing very well on the street, stopping bad people from continuing ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

Everything I have heard about and read in print is that .357 Sig is doing very well on the street, stopping bad people from continuing to do bad things about as well as any other handgun cartridge out there. It seems to be preferred by law enforcement agencies who place a priority on longer-distance performance and penetration (the New Mexico State Police, for instance). Seems like I heard that one agency selected the caliber because it penetrated transit train seats better than others. I also read somewhere about a .357 round that made it through a windshield to stop a semi driver when other rounds wouldn't.
    I like any defensive handgun caliber that fulfills a useful role, .357 Sig included....but feed a .40 with screaming lightweight fodder of 150 grains or less and the .40 produces the same sort of ".357 magnumesque" results. It sounds like kind of a "wash" to me. Carry what you like, I say.
    If you do get the barrel, be prepared for some "attention-getting" muzzle blast....

2. Remove Ads

I carry a 45acp primary and BUG 380acp, and I don't feel under gunned at all.

Maybe out of fashion compared to the 40S&W or 357SIG but not out gunned.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

It might not be applicable to your situation, but one thing I really like about the .357 Sig, is the ability to take shots out to 50-60 yds. with very good accuracy/flat tragectory. That is a range that I need where I am from. I can do this out of a Glock 32 (rested) with a compact barrel, so that really impresses me. Again, maybe not applicable to your situation, but I like being able to actually hit a pig or coyote at those ranges, and have enough omph to take it down too. Basically versatility.

I'm a big fan of 45 Colt and 45 ACP, but the .357 Sig is rapidly becoming my favorite. Not quite the awesomeness of .357 Mag. but awfully close--and with recoil easily controllable--I'd estimate slightly less than 45 ACP. JMHO

I like the .40 as well, I just think the .357 Sig has a little more "reach".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links