Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

This is a discussion on Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering buying a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig 229 40 caliber handgun. I have talked to a few LEO friends and they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Fastest Incapacitation--.357Sig Or 40 Caliber?

I am considering buying a .357 Sig barrel for my Sig 229 40 caliber handgun.
    I have talked to a few LEO friends and they are divided as far as with
    good shot placrment which caliber would incapacitate the fastest.
    The .357 Sig would be for self-defense and the 40 caliber would be used for target practice.

(1) Does anyone have info on the .357 Sig street perforance?

(2) What caliber do you like?

Niether trumps the other. Place them both properly, they will both do the job.

As has been stated many times...there is no magic bullet/caliber.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Being hit with either will roll your socks down...which can you shoot better?
    Otherwise...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Really?

I don't have any skin in this game (I have a couple of .40s and no .357 Sig), but I'll offer the observation that .357 Sig ammo is scarcer, more expensive, and comes in fewer loadings (bullet weight & configuration) than .40 S&W. Those are practical considerations that would tip my needle toward the .40.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

The answer is yes.

Unless you are open carrying, then no unless you have a badge and sash, then it's Tuesday.

I like them both and have both barrels for my P229. Shot placement is the key and they are both effective rounds.

.40S&W ammo is easier to find and comes in a greater variety of weights etc.

I don't believe there is a practical advantage of one over the other. It's generally not a good idea to practice with one round and carry another. They handle differently although in my experience they both hit the same POI without having to change the sights.

IMO forgo the new barrel and buy more ammo.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I don't have any skin in this game (I have a couple of .40s and no .357 Sig), but I'll offer the observation that .357 Sig ammo is scarcer, more expensive, and comes in fewer loadings (bullet weight & configuration) than .40 S&W. Those are practical considerations that would tip my needle toward the .40.
    Agreed.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I think anyone who tells you there is one over the other which will provide faster incapacitation is blowing smoke up your skirt.

There are too many variables within the human body to come to any definite conclusion.

They are both relatively effective on about the same level as far as I'm concerned.

So it really comes down to practicalities. Which one do you shoot better, faster and with the most accuracy? That's the bottom line really... Shot placement and follow-up shots is usually the determining factor.

The availability of ammo with a larger variety of bullet weight and configuration is also one of the factors which goes on the practicality side.
    snakyjake, Inspector71 and sig225 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a P229 in 40 and a 357 sig barrel. I also have the same setup with a S&W M&Pc.

The 357 sig round has a flatter trajectory, is better at penetrating barriers like a car door, and is a little easier on the recoil. That being said... I feel comfortable carrying either caliber.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if your gun is sighted from the factory for the 40 than the bbl swap will change the POI with the 357 sig round.
    it will be lower, for my p239/40 the 357 is 6" lower at 21 feet. WMMV

the 125gr SIG has the same V as a 125gr S&W Magnum; from the same bbl length.
    change the weight or bbl length and it is no longer true.

40 has more going for it ( by not much) and is my choice between the two.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    either with well places shot
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Incapacitation is not achieved by caliber.
    snakyjake, Bark'n and DefConGun like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The one that hits an area that causes the most damage/blood loss will give the quickest incapacitation. This goes for all the major service pistol calibers. You have a good pistol, assuming you have the mags and holsters needed to support it, spend money on improving your skills instead of buying stuff.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

I have a .357 Sig barrel in my Glock 23, and our Sheriff's Department was testing a 30 year old armored vest for penetration. They asked me to fire one round into the vest, and practically every major caliber was represented that day. The .357 Sig out-penetrated all other rounds except for a standard velocity .22 LR. Go figure! As stated before, placement is everything, and I am equally comfortable with either round in my Glock.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links