Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00?

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Jim I can see your point, but the only reason I carry a pistol for self-defense is because it's neither legal nor feasible to carry ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00?

Jim I can see your point, but the only reason I carry a pistol for self-defense is because it's neither legal nor feasible to carry a long gun. Pistols are not ideal to stopping threats. That's why we have big guns. That's just my opinion though. If possible, the pistol's purpose is to keep me alive long enough to get to something bigger.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

This line under the Lessons Learned is freakin' classic:

4. I "racked" the shotgun several times during the tests, and no bystanders lost control of their bowels.
    Conclusion: Racking a shotgun will not make the bad guy faint.
    deadguy and JOHNSMITH like this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Turkey shot is a good intermediate load. If you like birdshot 6 high-brass Fiochi will do.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Jim I can see your point, but the only reason I carry a pistol for self-defense is because it's neither legal nor feasible to carry a long gun. Pistols are not ideal to stopping threats. That's why we have big guns. That's just my opinion though. If possible, the pistol's purpose is to keep me alive long enough to get to something bigger.
    What do you think about using a Hi-Point 9mm? Accuracy of a long gun, more compact for the small confines of my home. I even have a flashlight on it. Or are you thinking knock down power?

I have posted here a few times about why I don't favor birdshot for self defense, even indoors. Allow me to rewind an earlier post:

My social interaction with a rabid coyote was an eye-opener... two rounds of 1-1/8 oz #4 in his chest barely got his attention (20 ga, maybe 7-10 yards). A third and gratuitous 4th shot to the head finally put him down.

When the 20 was the lone shotgun in the house, after that event #4 buck was on hand for defensive purposes.
    Perhaps for the "casual" home-invader types, birdshot will suffice, but for the chemically impaired (drunk, high, amped on controlled drugs) I want something that will penetrate and disable internal organs and bone. Even light buck (like #4) will get past outer clothing and will do more than cause pain. Since I can't predict what goblins may cross my threshold, I'd rather prepare for the toughest case than the easiest.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'd recommend a light recoil 00 buck.

The pellets are going to punch deep, and the reduced recoil will help rapid follow-up shots if required...and 00 buck is one of the standard fight stoppers.

My choice is Winchester Ranger RA12005.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    What do you think about using a Hi-Point 9mm? Accuracy of a long gun, more compact for the small confines of my home. I even have a flashlight on it. Or are you thinking knock down power?
    Oh don't get me wrong, I sleep with my M&P .40c on my nightstand and my wife has her Kahr CW9 on hers. But if I hear a pounding on the door I'm grabbing the .40 and moving for my shotgun which is in a more central area, hidden. If I meet the BG before I make it to the 870 I won't hesitate to engage them in a not-so-friendly interaction, but my goal is still the 870.

We can argue about 9mm vs .40 vs .45 vs .357sig vs .600 nitro express all day long. I've participated in those debates myself. But at the end of that day of arguing, none of them beat a 12 gauge.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I have a mossberg 500c loaded with 3" magnum turkey shot. over 2400 fps will do the trick... granted, mine is just a 20 guage
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Are you confusing a 3" shell with #3 shot? Am I the only one who picked up on that inconsistency or am I just going nuts?

If your looking for a #3 shot shell, you're probably not going to find it. If you're looking for a 3" shell with xx# shot, there is plenty out there. A 3" shell is typically a magnum load, but I don't see any real reason to use one for home defense.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

No, Sixto, I meant 3" shell. I believe a 2-3/4" and 3" shell have the same powder charge, but since the 3" shell carries a heavier shot load it should be lower velocity. That's what I was getting at.
    My blog

Administrator
    Oh, OK. There are different 3" shells, some, maybe even most do have more umph to them, and they all carry more shot. But the 3 and 3.5" shells are pretty much designed to give a little more range for turkey and goose, I really don't see an advantage in using them for HD.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 6th, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My HD gun is a single shot shotgun so I got 5 Remington 3 inch, 15 pellet, 00 buckshot on the buttstock shell carrier.
    They do kick quite hard for 1 7/8 ounce load out of my old H&R (rated for ~1200 fps).

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Since my Benelli holds 2-3/4, 3, and 3-1/2" shells maybe I could just mix en all up and guess which one I shot.

J/k. Not much need for 3.5" indoors.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Also note that things can get a little confusing with shell sizes. There are shells out there that are 12 pellet 00 Buck, but are marked as 2 3/4". However, they measure as very near to 3". I don't know why they mark them as 2 3/4".

This could be problematic if your shotgun can only take 2.75" shells... but most popular shotguns out there these days can take 3" shells, so you should be ok even in the case I described above.

Birdshot will not bring down a goose and a turkey needs a huge dose of lead in the head,body shots have no effect,Problem with birdshot is it very likely won't panetrate thru to vital organs,and especially in the winter time anybody wearing a goose down jacket or similar style will have the pellets ball up in the feathers with virtually no penetration,so you shoot the guy and he doesn't go down,your thinking WTH as he then kills you with the pistol he brought
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links