Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00?

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that Rollo has a long post about shotgun HD loads, and in the end his evidence for 2 3/4" #4 buck shot for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun - 2-3/4" or 3" #00?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I know that Rollo has a long post about shotgun HD loads, and in the end his evidence for 2 3/4" #4 buck shot for HD is strong. I switched from 00 to #4 after reading it. It's at least worth looking for on the forum...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

2. Remove Ads

I've heard #1 is an excellent choice too, possibly even better than 00. Downside is that finding #1 buck for sale is difficult. Even when you do, it's often only in the 5 in a box type, which is usually quite expensive (often over a $1/rd).

Fortunately #4 buck seems to be getting more available these days in larger quantities for decent prices. I bought some Rio Royal #4 buck but I haven't had a chance to test it yet, so I'm not going to load it into my shotgun for HD duty just yet.

Presently I'm loaded with eight 00 buck in the tube, six slugs on the side saddle, and six 00 buck on the buttstock pouch. For home defense, all my shells are 2 3/4 inch.

That should handle any home invasion with multiple bad guys.

(I would have no problems using #1 or #4 buck shot in place of the 00 buck.)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I did a bit of reading on 2-3/4" vs 3". Unfortunately, I can't remember any references, but the added pellet count and increased recoil wasn't worth the additional few pellets. And, as you mentioned, you're giving up a bit of velocity, which translates to less energy.

Additionally, you lose space in your tube. So you get more pellets, but less rounds, less energy, and more recoil.

2-3/4" is just fine
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This is what I use for my Mossberg 500. (Hornady TAP Personal Defense Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 8 Pellet Box of 5..Ballistics Information: Muzzle Velocity: 1600 fps Muzzle Energy: 2415 ft. lbs.) If that don't put the BG toes up, nothing will. I like that fact that I can actually load another round due to the smaller shell casing, plus I have no children in other rooms of my house so I don't worry to much about over penetration into other rooms with the 00 BS. I know that it could easily travel through the exterior walls, but I'm surrounded pretty much by wooded area, so little chance of anything going terribly wrong there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

3D
    In single family home without children.

Benelli M4 semi-auto 12 Ga.
    7 rounds of 00 Buck in tube.
    "Cruiser Ready" = trigger pulled on empty chamber = rack & shoot.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

3" #4 or 0000 Buckshot is the way to go.

We shoot/qualify using 00 buck all the time for certification.
    It is about 8 pellets or so of .32 caliber rounds flung at high speed.
    One day we had to use some 0000 Buck because the range was out at the time.
    It is DEVASTATING. Two rounds will cut the entire target in half.
    Basically it is a big tube of bb's flung at high speed that would probably not over-penetrate anything but the bad guy.

Now if you are are a hunter and happen to have a 3 1/2" magnum...a good turkey round would be better.

I have to use 00 Buck if on duty at work, but if loading for home defense, it would be the 0000 Buck.

Probably the worst thing a BG could get hit by (given the specialty rounds like flachetes, 2 balls on a wire string, one solid ball & several 00, etc) is a Dragon's Breath round that throws a flame 300ft downrange. Heard of one burglar that got shot point-blank with it coming through a window. He was a dead, crispy critter.

Think Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter has the Sellier & Bellot 00 and others at good prices, but local range should be able to get get most anything you would need.

There are some specialty rounds now that are "shorter" at about 2" and loaded hot for quick knockdown...it allows more rounds per tube carry. My buddy uses it when making bank drops with clients. They seem to feed/function fine and they are clear with a honeycomb flexible wad behind the
    projectiles.

0000 would not be "bbs" by a long shot. Those would be .38 caliber lead balls. Nearest I can recall, BBs are .177.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Win 12 ga. 2.75" Supreme Elite PDX1 for self defense. 3 pellets of buffered 00 plated buck on top of a 1 oz. rifled slug. May seem extreme but is actually just the opposite. With this combination, patterning is tighter compensating for aim error.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    is a Dragon's Breath round that throws a flame 300ft downrange. Heard of one burglar that got shot point-blank with it coming through a window. He was a dead, crispy critter.

A blank could kill at point blank range as well. Nonetheless, I would not depend on it for HD purposes.

Dragon's Breath shells are a no go here in FL. Fire danger, I guess. We seem to perpetually be one big tinder box here in FL.

RKM
    Maybe I'm stupid and people will probably think "why".... but I have my shotgun loaded next to my bed with 000 buck. Two rounds of 00 buck and three 3" slugs on the stock.

Do NOT ever bet your life on "birdshot". Birdshot is for birds. Use 000,00,0 or #1 Buck 2 3/4 inch shells. I prefer the Tactical or Low Recoil 00 Winchester or Federal Flite Control 00.

My Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme 'spits' out Remington 2 3/4" OOBuck...a welcome to my home for any dirtbag invader.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Do NOT ever bet your life on "birdshot". Birdshot is for birds.
    Except

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    At the distances for a home defense shot, I don't think a 3" shell is going to do anything for you that a 2 3/4 " shell won't. I use 2 3/4 00 buckshot because In my Remington 870, I have ran into 3" shells that are longer then others once shot and the end opens up and then it doesn't eject well because of it. It shoots 2 3/4 all day long without any issues. My HD gun is a Mossberg 500 that I have not even shot 3" shells from. 2 3/4 works just fine and I don't see the need for anything else. Recoil is another consideration for the 2 3/4.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links