LRN vs FMJ

This is a discussion on LRN vs FMJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We eat tons of fat, salt, breath exhaust vapors everyday, smoke and kill millions of unborn every year, yet we are concerned with lead. Whodathunkit?...

View Poll Results: LRN vs FMJ

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • LRN

13 34.21%
  • FMJ

25 65.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: LRN vs FMJ

We eat tons of fat, salt, breath exhaust vapors everyday, smoke and kill millions of unborn every year, yet we are concerned with lead. Whodathunkit?
    bmcgilvray, paaiyan and WHEC724 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Lead is something that some folks enjoy dithering over. Like a lot of things found on the internet there is a bit of "the-sky-is-falling" in overblown concerns about lead. I certainly don't go out of my way to ingest lead but have shot a lot of lead over a number of years now and outside the prehensile tail I've been growing recently, I'm fine.
    pistola and mauser1959 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Lead is something that some folks enjoy dithering over. Like a lot of things found on the internet there is a bit of "the-sky-is-falling" in overblown concerns about lead. I certainly don't go out of my way to ingest lead but have shot a lot of lead over a number of years now and outside the prehensile tail I've been growing recently, I'm fine.
    yeah, I thought that too for a while but I was shooting for between 2 and 4 hours per week both indoor and outdoor and at IDPA matches. My lead level was 17 and a friend who often shot with me had a level of 20. That gets my attention. You can't guess at your lead level. Get it tested (about $25) and know for sure. And, be careful out there.

A soft lead SWC is hard to beat for bringing home the meat; always predictable expansion. For plinking, harden them up a little. If your handgun leads under 1200 FPS with a properly lubed and sized bullet, I'd look at the handgun as the culprit.

So far this thread tells me that people won't shoot LRN because of possible leading in their barrel and in their blood stream.
    If you are worried about those things whatever you do don't buy a cap n' ball revolver.

I shoot LSWCs up to about 1400 fps , using a moly/beeswax lube, no leading whatsoever . I cast straight WWs and have never , let me repeat , never had a problem leading . Remember that the old smoke poles and .22 magnums run out faster than that and they do not have a problem loading , and in fact user a softer lead than WWs .
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Federal 38 Special 158gr LRN vs Hornady Critical Defense 110gr 38 Special
    Shot into water jugs, using phone books as a backstop.

Yeah yeah I know, there is nothing scientific about it this test.
    Just to show the deformation of a LRN vs a modern JHP.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    From my research LRN and Semi-jacketed rounds work exceedingly well. I prefer Semi-jacketed hollow points for my .357, but wouldn't really want to shoot a straight non jacketed round, to much lead fouling and other problems stated. One exception any subsonic round I wouldn't mind firing a straight lead round.
    Still Semi-jacketed is my preferred choice over non jacketed and FMJ's
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    I have seen lead bullets deform and morph into figures that HP's would dream of looking like.

So other than saving the time of scrubbing the lead fouling out of a gun barrel, are there any other disadvantages of a LRN that makes it significantly lesser than a FMJ? Now I am not saying we start casting .357 Sig LRN but for ammo under 900 fps (gas checked or not) does a LRN offer better wounding aspects than FMJ? A plain lead bullet can definitely deform greatly after hitting hard bone or even squash if rapidly decelerated through tissue. I have seen FMJ clean enough to be reloaded and shot again just like the brass it came with.
    For reasons like this it is under my presumption that a LRN would be of higher capabilities than a FMJ.
    Why do you believe that you will need to spend alot of time scrubbing lead out of your barrel? Yes some barrels do lead badly most do not. I have found that most people who have problems with leading because of improperly sized bullets and not velocity.
    Try to find bullets that are one or two thousands over the groove diameter of your firearm. If you use a revolver you also have the forcing cone to deal with. Some are undersized.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Why do you believe that you will need to spend alot of time scrubbing lead out of your barrel?
    I was being quite general when making that post.
    I shoot cap n' ball revolvers and have never had a issue with leading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links