Changing Bullet Weights

This is a discussion on Changing Bullet Weights within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only relation that clothing has to do with bullets in my mind is whether or not your HP will plug up and not expand. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Changing Bullet Weights

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    The only relation that clothing has to do with bullets in my mind is whether or not your HP will plug up and not expand. Unless you're talking about someone wearing a bearskin during the winter an extra layer of jacket won't do a thing to penetration. A 9mm, whether it's a 115gr or a 147gr will penetrate through either fine. Most ballistic tests done use four layers of denim anyways, add some cotton or down feathers and you pretty much have what most people wear in the winter; a shirt + long sleeve shirt + jacket = four layers + jacket lining.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Personally, I want George Foreman's fist hitting them more than I do Oscar
    De la Hoya's.
    357and40 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I don't care what I shoot them with as long as it goes thru them and makes a wound channel that takes the fight out of them..... Shoot them to the ground....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

KoB
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Personally, I want George Foreman's fist hitting them more than I do Oscar
    De la Hoya's.
    LOL, I like that analogy!!!

KMB, I

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I carry the heaviest JHP that I can in whatever caliber that I am carrying. No matter the season.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Still a noobie and only have shot 115g 9mm fmj. is there any felt recoil differences between the various bullet weights?

So far just buying cheapest 115g fmj for target practice until I improve.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    And you can keep practicing with the 115 gr. FMJ, even after you improve. Range-ammo is range-ammo. Yes, there's some differences between range-ammo and high-quality SD/HD ammo, and yes, you should practice more than enough with the expensive premium SD/HD ammo, so that you know you can hit what you're aiming at, when your life is on the line....but don't worry, range-ammo will do you just fine in practice.
    357and40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

I don't buy into the switching ammo during the seasons theory anyway. Load the best quality SD round that functions and is accurate.
    x2...
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

The idea is , as stated earlier, to get deeper penetration through heavy winter clothing with a heavier weight for caliber round.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    You really never know what a perp is going to be wearing, no matter what time of the year it is. I've read that some thugs will wear layers of denim as a po-man's BP vest.

Go heavy just to be sure.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    Still a noobie and only have shot 115g 9mm fmj. is there any felt recoil differences between the various bullet weights?

So far just buying cheapest 115g fmj for target practice until I improve.
    MY PERCEPTION is that a lighter & faster bullet will generate more recoil.
    155 gr speer gold dots, for example, kicked a hell of a lot more than the 180s in the PPS 40 cal I used to own.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Why is there such a concern about penetration through clothing when dealing with bullet weight?
    As far as I know heavy clothing might disrupt the expansion abilities of an expanding bullet by clogging the hollow cavity with clothing material.

I mean...we are talking about bullets here, not airsoft pellets.

When I need a lighter bullet I put a box of 230 grain HST's on a treadmill for a couple hours and they end up around 200 grains,now for winter i sit em in some biscuits and gravy fer a little while and check every 1/2 hr til they reach the correct weight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    When I need a lighter bullet I put a box of 230 grain HST's on a treadmill for a couple hours and they end up around 200 grains,now for winter i sit em in some biscuits and gravy fer a little while and check every 1/2 hr til they reach the correct weight
    Now THATS Funny, but do you find the gravy makes a good gun lube also?

As far as over penetration goes, it would be interesting to see some test with two blocks of ballistics jell set a couple of feet apart. I really doub that any properly expanding handgun round is going to have all that much energy left after exiting a bad guy, especially if teh shot placement put it COM.

I read somwhere that it's harder for a bullet to exit a body than enter it to begin with. The anaology used, and this is not mine, so take it for what it's worth, is this:
    Take two pounds of ground beef (the muscle), wrapped in plastic wrap (the skin).
    Now try to push your finger (bullet) thru the plastic wrap into the meat. It goes in pretty easy because the plastic wrap is backed by the meat.
    Now contiue pushing thru until the finger tries to exit the far side. The plastic wrap (skin) stretches and makes it harder to exit. Clothing acts the same way.
    The person stating this said that they have witnessed several BG's shot where the bullet was found inside their clothing next to the skin.

I always try to find the load that has the highest muzzle energy and highest muzzle velocity which is usually right in the middle of the weight spread for that given caliber...no matter what the season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links