Changing Bullet Weights

This is a discussion on Changing Bullet Weights within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My prefered weapon for personal protection is the 9mm. My carry ammo is the Winchestar 127gr 9mm +P+ which I carry all year round. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Changing Bullet Weights

Changing Bullet Weights

My prefered weapon for personal protection is the 9mm. My carry ammo is the Winchestar 127gr 9mm +P+ which I carry all year round. I have read where some people will go to a lighter weight in the summer and switch back to a heavier round in the winter.

Can anyone tell me why. I feel it does not make a difference but explian to me why you or the person you know if you have had this conversation with them does this.

I am not limiting this to 9mm.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The theory is less bullet weight is nec in summer because BG's don't wear winter clothing, don't mean to be a smartly, then if no heavy clothing the lighter bullet may not pass through.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds good in theory... but I dont see any evidence to support it.

I've seen people shot in the summer wearing very little and in the winter wearing all kinds of stuff and they were still dead.

When in doubt, shoot again. That ought to settle any questions about clothing, or lack of.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I always go for the heaviest weight available
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Your load is a reasonable choice. Just remember to be liberal in the application of lead.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    just feed them till they stop...asking for more

I've heard of some that use ball ammo during the winter for similar reasons..

I don't switch ammo right now though.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Go for any of the ammo on Dr. Roberts' list.

Do your due-diligence, and make sure that what you choose (and put in a few, since it's always good to have a back-up brand/make just in case supplies run low on your preferred) runs *COMPLETELY* reliably in your carry pistol(s). *EVERY* gun is different and unique, and what runs well in everyone else's X or Y may not in "yours." And while a single box of 50 may tell you an absolute yes or no (as it should stand to reason that any potential problems should manifest sooner rather than later), I like to keep going and put a few hundred down-range, just to insure that an unforeseen problem won't present (i.e. it's not until the feed ramp gets a bit dirty on my PM9 that she starts to not like the Federal 147 gr. HST as much as she does, when absolutely clean).

And while you're doing your dues, see if you like the shooting characteristics of the ammo: and don't forget to try it out in the dark, too - remembering that the muzzle flash can also be a distraction for you, when shooting in the dark.

-----

I know that some of my friends tend to favor hotter ammo (a +P or +P+ loading) or bonded bullets for winter use - their reasoning being that either the extra velocity should help with penetration or that the bonded bullet would not foul as much during penetration of outer cover layers.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    My carry ammo is the Winchester 127gr 9mm +P+ which I carry all year round.

That is probably the best 9mm SD load available today. Plenty of penetration and expansion.

I don't buy into the switching ammo during the seasons theory anyway. Load the best quality SD round that functions and is accurate.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

My theory is, the more the better.

I carry: Hornady XTP 147GR

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I use the Win Ranger 127gr +P+ T-series in my full-size & Ranger 147gr T-series in my short barrel carry, both year 'round.

I hadn't heard the winter/summer fashion tip before. - I learn something new almost everyday!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I like the sound of the Winchester 127 grain load for all seasons. I wouldn't bother to change it.

I tend to lean toward the heavier bullet weights for a given cartridge, summer and winter.
    Old School and Cuda66 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I agree with the liberal application of whatever you carry.

The lighter vs heavier bullet weight relative to clothing and other variables is an interesting subject to which I have my own solution. Contrary to the likes of some, I stagger load, between Speer GD 124gr +p and Federal 147gr HST2. I have tested these loads in my EDC and found the poi variation at SD distances to be minimal. Both rounds are on Dr Roberts' preferred list.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Cool

If you carry a good round and you do then it is a good round year round.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    If you carry a good round and you do then it is a good round year round.
    That is really a wise saying, Old School.

If a potential assailant's clothing gives one pause about his choice of ammunition then he just hasn't given his ammo selection enough thought.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links