Oil layer on ammo?

This is a discussion on Oil layer on ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's an interesting question. I know oil soaked ammo is usually a bad thing, deadening the primer. In my AR15, I keep it pretty wet. ...

Thread: Oil layer on ammo?

Oil layer on ammo?

Here's an interesting question. I know oil soaked ammo is usually a bad thing, deadening the primer. In my AR15, I keep it pretty wet. I usually store it with a full mag of SD ammo. Sometimes some of the oil seeps down onto the first round or two. My concern is ruining the first two rounds. Now, they're not "soaked", but there is a thin (very thin) layer. Little enough you can wipe it off fairly easily. I use MPC Firepower FP-10 (it's good stuff). It has a distinctive smell, kinda like cinnamon. It smells good, atleast :) Even some of the rounds further power have the smell of the oil.

Am I over reacting? I'm pretty lame like that sometimes.

2. Remove Ads

The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Not overreacting, many people do not even take their ammunition into consideration for storage or self defense. I just put the bullets in that there magazine and lock and load.
    If your concerned about oil ruining your ammunition try S&B (as I suggested in another thread recently). They seal their primers on all their ammunition.

I'm all about running ARs 'wet', but if you've got oil dribbling down into your mags, methinks you're over-doing it a bit.

Also, if you store your AR pretty much vertically, that should minimize any oil running down into the mag.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by CountShotula View Post
    The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

Not overreacting, many people do not even take their ammunition into consideration for storage or self defense. I just put the bullets in that there magazine and lock and load.
    If your concerned about oil ruining your ammunition try S&B (as I suggested in another thread recently). They seal their primers on all their ammunition.
    Good stuff! My primers aren't soaked. Like I said, the oil may seep down onto the ammo, but as a whole, I've had my AR stored with SD ammo for more than 6 weeks total (comparing to his test). Maybe not 6 weeks straight, because I do take it out and shoot it, but since I've HAD the SD ammo, it's been stored as a whole, longer than 6 weeks.... After reading that, I think I'll be alright :)

I was once worried about my SD rounds that I thought were "setback" from unloading my SD pistols to shoot them at the range and then reloading to carry after the range. The rounds would be chambered quite a few times after many range visits. So, I took out all my "setback" SD rounds, and they all worked perfectly fine. I don't think they were really setback. If they were it wasn't visible to the naked eye and obviously not enough to cause problems. I still rotated the chambered rounds to the bottom of the mag though when loading and reloading.

He's right in his article, rumors get blown out of proportion. Yes, they're true, to a point, but nothing to get to worried about.

Thanks for the link :)

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm all about running ARs 'wet', but if you've got oil dribbling down into your mags, methinks you're over-doing it a bit.

Also, if you store your AR pretty much vertically, that should minimize any oil running down into the mag.
    I store my AR laying down in it's case. Maybe I do run it a little "too" wet :) I'll have to take it out soon and burn some off and clean it again, being a little more conservative on the oil :)

Instead of oil I use a light grease on the BCG,it stays where you put it and won't run like oil
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I like lubricants that have evaporation properties (like Ballistol....even WD-40, but only with my black powder revolver). Over time it no longer becomes "wet", leaving a film of lubricant on the parts.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Here's an interesting question. I know oil soaked ammo is usually a bad thing, deadening the primer. In my AR15, I keep it pretty wet. I usually store it with a full mag of SD ammo. Sometimes some of the oil seeps down onto the first round or two. My concern is ruining the first two rounds. Now, they're not "soaked", but there is a thin (very thin) layer. Little enough you can wipe it off fairly easily. I use MPC Firepower FP-10 (it's good stuff). It has a distinctive smell, kinda like cinnamon. It smells good, atleast :) Even some of the rounds further power have the smell of the oil.

Am I over reacting? I'm pretty lame like that sometimes.
    Having my mags lightly oiled after they are cleaned, I have never had my ammo experiencing any problems despite having some oil on them.

I submerged a bunch of ammo in oils, salt water, even Hoppes #9 for up to 5 weeks and every centerfire round and most of the .22 rimfires fired fine.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Use white or red lithium grease on your AR.

If it's good enough for high temp car parts, it's good enough for your DI AR.

Besides, the white/res slime doesn't run off. It stays put.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not a fan of WD-40. Failed miserably as a protectorant (bad rust) and when it "evaporates" it becomes gummy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would not recommend WD-40 on an AR platform...
    It should work fine for an AK platform though

As long as you're not using a "penetrating oil," I think you should be fine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I store my AR laying down in it's case. Maybe I do run it a little "too" wet :) I'll have to take it out soon and burn some off and clean it again, being a little more conservative on the oil :)
    Sir you need to buy a safe.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not a fan of WD-40. Failed miserably as a protectorant (bad rust) and when it "evaporates" it becomes gummy.
    WD 40 is only good for cars and doors. I have never and will never use it on any of my guns. I prefer CLP or something better.

Links