Opinions on .327 mag.

This is a discussion on Opinions on .327 mag. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read an article in a gun magazine, although I can't remember the name of the magizine, about the new charter arms .327 Federal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Opinions on .327 mag.

Opinions on .327 mag.

I just read an article in a gun magazine, although I can't remember the name of the magizine, about the new charter arms .327 Federal Magnum.
    Has anyone shot one of these? The article made it sound like the ballistics were impressive. They even compared the recoil to the .357 magnum.

2. Remove Ads

Few tidbits on the .327 vs the .357 all from Wikipedia

The cartridge (.327) ultimately won the NRA Publication's prestigious Golden Bullseye Award for "Ammo of the Year" (2009).

.327 115 gr 1300 ftps 431 ft lbs
    .357 125 gr 1600 ftps 710 ft lbs

BIGGEST thing to keep in mind with the .327 fed mag vs the .357 mag is avalibility of ammo. I am at work right now and just got done looking at our ammo aisle we have 1 ONE brand of .327 fed mag on the shelves and have only ever had that one brand. Where as for .357 mag we have about 15 brands in stock at all times. The .327 is a fine caliber
    but it just doenst have the volume of ammo for me to want to pick one up right now.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Whatsitgoodfer? Ground hogs dropping acid? To me it's an attempt by the ammo companies to find a way yo generate more product to sell. I can think of nothing it can do that a rightously loaded 38spl can't. However it does give one an extra shot in case there are more than 1 groundhog:)
    21bubba and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    A person has to decide if they want a .327 first before comparing it to other ammo. It won't do anything a .357 won't; will do as much or more than a .38spl.
    It will penetrate a bundle of magazines about the same as a .357, I guess because of smaller bullet size.
    Recoil is substantial in a SP 101 or lighter guns----did not Taurus or some body port theirs?
    In a GP 100 it is modest in recoil, accuracy is very good.
    Ammo is easy to come by if your willing to buy on line.

A solution in search of a problem. There is a plot reserved beside the 32-20 in the caliber grave yard!

Much like the 40 s&W I do not find a use or a need for it, some people who are recoil sensitive do. More power to them, but I will stick with the .357/38 combo and 10mm thank you very much.
    Guantes and WHEC724 like this.

why?

The 327 is like the .41 action express It was a good attempt, but without a firearm manufacturer's support. Its a no go....The 40 s&w was developed because the FBI accountant agents could not handle the full bore 10 mm loading in the S&W boat anchor given to them at the time. I think it was the 9+1 round 1076 (at 38 ounces empty). The .40 s&w is a good medium weight, moderate velocity round and capable of the job. Also the 327 will die because the new generation 38's are excellent.

Senior Moderator
    The .327...

I personally never saw the need for it. It was originally touted as a cartidge with more thump and less recoil than a .38 special that could be chambered in small guns.

It was a marketing gimmic. I have never seen one at the range. I have never seen any one even bring into a CHL class of which we have had thousands of students go through over the years.

The main problem with it is the lack of ammo. Most guns shops wont stock a cartridge that has little to no demand. There just isnt a market for it. The gun manufacturers havent really picked up on it. What few have are mostly producing small revolvers that are the size of most 5 shots, instead chambering it with 6.

I look at it like this...if you cant handle a .38 special, dropping down to a .327 isnt going to be much better. Yea, it might have less recoil, but it also has less "ooomph" if you do have to shoot something that needs to be shot. That extra bullet may be needed.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why would I step down from a .357 Mag to a .327 Mag?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Why would I step down from a .357 Mag to a .327 Mag?
    Because you can?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

There's a lot of other things that I can do that I'm also not doing.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    A solution in search of a problem. There is a plot reserved beside the 32-20 in the caliber grave yard!

Yeah, the .32-20 as a revolver cartridge is pretty moribund since most original revolvers are now resting in the clammy hands of collectors. It's alive and kicking in the menagerie kept around here though. I've owned and experimented with pre-war Smith & Wesson .32-20 revolvers since the late 1970s when they were just old guns with little value and no "collector" interest. I don't have a .327 Magnum revolver but admire the level of performance it provides. The .327 Magnum can do everything one can accomplish with a sturdy, tight .32-20 revolver.

A good word needs to be said for the .327 Magnum's defense. For the real shooting aficionado who handloads and who already possesses several dandy self defense handguns, a .327 Magnum would be a delight for both target work and as a field cartridge. Low-powered powder-puff target loads, inexpensive and accurate, can give endless pleasure for plinking or target use and be suitable for small game hunting for the pot. Factory loads or heavy handloads make a cartridge like the .327 Magnum a decent stand-in for serious self defense work and would work for handgun varmint hunting. A 100-115 grain .312 diameter bullet at 1200-1350 fps is nothing to sneeze at. It hits hard and penetrates deeply in a way that no other .32 caliber handgun can do and such velocities are attainable with either the .32-20 or the .327 Magnum. Soft lead bullets can exhibit explosive terminal ballistics. It does accomplish this with noticeably less recoil than a .357 Magnum or heavily loaded .38 Special in revolvers of the same weight. It's pretty loud though. The .327 Magnum has the advantage over the old .32-20 in that the .327 Magnum is only chambered in strong modern revolvers. Some early .32-20s may be had in some fairly flimsy revolver designs and old wheezer guns with primitive metallurgy.

My .32-20 is a late vintage Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector built on the K-Frame same as the .38 Special Military & Police. It was manufactured years after Smith & Wesson introduced enhanced heat treatment to components, a process which began just after World War I. Clean and tight, it works well with most any reasonable .32-20 handload. Some loads have chronographed over 1300 fps with 100 grain Remington jacketed soft point bullets. By all reports the .327 Magnum can duplicate this performance. These loads offer complete lengthwise penetration on medium sized feral dogs similar in size to coyotes and will put them down very effectively with good hits. I wouldn't feel ill-armed at all with a .32 revolver gen'ing up such ballistics though I'd prefer something with a little more bullet diameter and bullet weight. I do often pack the .32-20 revolver afield when I'm out at our old family place, hiking or mowing around the cabin.

I tried my .32-20 revolver out on hunter pistol silhouette targets and it effectively knocked over the rams at 100 yards. Only the limitations of fixed sights necessitating the use of "Kentucky windage" for the targets at long range kept me from trying it in competition. It was plenty flat shooting over the 100 yard course. A modern revolver with a bit longer barrel and adjustable sights, chambered for the .327 Magnum would be fun for silhouette shooting in my view.

Link: Cartridge Discussion: .32-20

Don't complete discount the .327 Magnum, especially if you are a revolver fan looking to add another interesting and quite useful cartridge to the collection. Some cartridges need to exist just because they are fun.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by chalk316 View Post

The cartridge (.327) ultimately won the NRA Publication's prestigious Golden Bullseye Award for "Ammo of the Year" (2009).

BIGGEST thing to keep in mind with the .327 fed mag vs the .357 mag is avalibility of ammo. I am at work right now and just got done looking at our ammo aisle we have 1 ONE brand of .327 fed mag on the shelves and have only ever had that one brand. Where as for .357 mag we have about 15 brands in stock at all times. The .327 is a fine caliber
    but it just doenst have the volume of ammo for me to want to pick one up right now.
    Yeah a .357 125 grain bullet at 1600 fps is awesome.
    But you're not getting anything like that from a 4" barrel.
    The .327 on the other hand was designed around a short barrel and actually getting the velocity claimed.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    bmc-- that is a lot of good typing on the 32-20 (wish any of mine looked as good as that one) and info on the 327

i've played with them and found the cartrage to be easy on the hand and accurate. though i think a 332 made to fit it
    would be pushing the recoil, the ruger is well balanced though short a round.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Originally Posted by chalk316

Quote Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
    Yeah a .357 125 grain bullet at 1600 fps is awesome.
    But you're not getting anything like that from a 4" barrel.
    The .327 on the other hand was designed around a short barrel and actually getting the velocity claimed.

.357 Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As i stated that info was from Wikipedia. I know that Wikipedia is NOT 100% accurate but if one were to look @ the above link one would notice on the right hand side below the pictures and velocity info it states "test barrel length: 4 in (102 mm) (vented) Source(s): Federal,[3] DoubleTap Ammunition"
    So it is POSSIBLE to get 1600 fps out of a 4'' barrel. Will you always get that performance no. Is the .327 Federal Mag tailored more towards short barrels? YES it is.

Also BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE 357 Mag Low Flash-Short Barrel Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

1 2145 fps - Marlin mod 1894, 18 inch barrel
    2 1583 fps - S&W mod 27, 5 inch barrel
    3 1591 fps - S&W Mt. Gun, 4 inch barrel
    4 1507 fps - S&W mod 66, 3 inch barrel
    5 1448 fps - S&W mod 66, 2.5 inch barrel

Again 125gr .357 Mag @ 1600 fps out of a 4" barrel (ok so its 1591 FPS close enough)
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links