Close-Up of .380 ACP 90 gr. GDHP Speer Gold Dot - Page 2

Close-Up of .380 ACP 90 gr. GDHP Speer Gold Dot

This is a discussion on Close-Up of .380 ACP 90 gr. GDHP Speer Gold Dot within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still say anyone who believe the .380 isn't an effective SD round is fooling themselves. There are many, many deaths as the result of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Close-Up of .380 ACP 90 gr. GDHP Speer Gold Dot

I still say anyone who believe the .380 isn't an effective SD round is fooling themselves. There are many, many deaths as the result of being shot by .380's every year. And ANY gun is better than the one at home in the safe when you need it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    The .380 is a good round for self defense. It fits the bill for a lot of people who either don't want to carry a larger pistol or for someone who can't conceal a larger pistol do to curmstances. I think that all pistol rounds lack a no BS stopping power needed for self defense. Heck I've seen a suicide bomber in Afghanistan take 2 rounds of 7.62 from a M240 in the guts and still be able to flip the switch. I'm pretty sure he was high as a kite but still a machine gun round didn't get that instant stop that everyone was hoping for. Good shots from a .380 and proper tactics after the shot will likely keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    The .380 is a good round for self defense. It fits the bill for a lot of people who either don't want to carry a larger pistol or for someone who can't conceal a larger pistol do to curmstances. .
    And keep in mind there are some countries where the .380 is the best round allowed for civilian use. I think Brazil is one of those countries. They don't allow civilians to have weapons chambered for military caliber rounds such as 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    rlimke,

What weapon did you use in regards to barrel length ?

I carry that round in my Diamondback .380 and the barrel length is 2".

Thanks.

OS
    These rounds are courtesy of a Kahr P380, with 2.5" barrel.
    Old School likes this.

I would be interested to see some layers of denim in front of the milk jugs to see if they still expand as well as they did.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I think the magic number for HP to expand is about 1050 FPS. The light 90 grain bullet easily meets that.

With the .380 aim for whatever skin is exposed neck, head or whatever. Cause pain or mechanically break them that is all that is needed and then back off your day is done.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I pass kidney stones bigger then that!
    that would explain the big frown on your avatar pic
    adric22 likes this.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Thanks for the pics. I carry these in my LCP.

i was reading about the shooting in norway that killed at least 90 people. i was thinking to myself that if only there was someone who was armed even with a 380cal pocket pistol at the time, the shooter would not be able to do that much damage.

I think the magic number for HP to expand is about 1050 FPS. The light 90 grain bullet easily meets that.
    According to the gel test on GoldenLoki.com that round does 909ft/sec from a Kel Tec P-3AT. Also, my Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr 9mm rounds only travel 995ft/sec. I don't think there is really a magic number for expansion that fits across the board. It all depends on the design of the bullet.

Got my new Bersa Thunder Plus on Friday. 15 + 1 and some fun just around the corner. Love the .380 foreign Walther look-a-like blowbacks.

My daughter fell for and "confiscated" my CZ83 so I began to get the Bersa itch in high cap. I'll try to give a range report in near future. Great thread in that 380s are becoming so popular.

Thanks for taking the time to test, and posting those photos. Very nice expansion. I've tried several different defense rounds and have pretty much settled for the Federal 90 gr. Hydra Shok. I may try these Gold Dot rounds if I can find them.
    My wife and I both have the Sig P-238, which is a .380 made a lot like a small 1911. The .380 round may not be as powerful as the .45, but with proper shot placement can be just as deadly.

Speer GDHP is what I carry in my 9mm. I'm gonna get some 380 for my Taurus. Nice expansion.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Really? Wow, that is surprising. I have actually looked at that model in a gunstore and held it in my hand. It only held 10 rounds.... Wait, just checked Wikipedia. looks as if they have smaller magazines designed for 7,9,10, or 15 rounds.. I guess I must have just picked up one of the 10 round versions.
    The difference between the Thunder 380 and the Thunder 380 Plus is the double stack magazine. The plus model has a slightly wider handle to accomodate the double stack mag, and I believe the magazine release is moved to a slightly different position, but other than that the two models are nearly identical.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links