Federal EFMJ ammo? - Page 2

Federal EFMJ ammo?

This is a discussion on Federal EFMJ ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dave James Detriot did or still does issue it,,, but they had some problem with the ammo in a shooting, and last ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal EFMJ ammo?

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave James
    Detriot did or still does issue it,,, but they had some problem with the ammo in a shooting, and last I heard it was under review
    The only problem I've heard of the Detroit PD having with this round was with a head shot, .40 S&W. The bullet "bounced off."

This smells funny. I don't believe anything happened other than the bullet hitting the skull at an angle, causing it to follow around the skull or deflect, which is definitely not unheard of.

A link: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4225888/detail.html

Josh <><
    Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; August 4th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.

Josh, that may be it, I know from the FOP types that they where raising a ruckus over it, but never hears an outcome

Talking Efmj

Greetings all... This looks like a nice site. Glad I found it. Be sure to check out my profile.

This round is a real "sleeper" from what I have seen. Federal is known for consistant ammo quality , and some interesting innovation. This load is both. It has produced some of the most impressive barrier results I have seen. It shoots accurate and and for a +P rather mild. Federal "plus" loadings are usually a tad slower than some others, in general, I have found.

Anyway, it to me, is a real "wolf in sheeps clothing." I like wolves, and I like this design, too! Virtually unable NOT to expand, and still penetrates nicely. It even handles auto glass well.

I would have no reservations carrying it at all. I may even pick more up, while the getting is good, at Ammoman. This design has been largely passed-over, and it's a loss. I hope Federal keeps it floating. It is one of the best things I have tested in over 20 years of doing just that.

IF some agency has had a failure with it, I need to see the facts of the incident. ALL loads fail at some point, and circumstance.

I had wondered about a ricochet, or a glancing potential problem, but what I found was that the design just opens up so fast and so easily, it seemed unlikely.

As for "Powerball" comparisons, I guess it could be argued, but I like the EFMJ a lot more, the Federal name is as I said: "consistant" It can be as hot as the noon sun, but if it's doesn't go bang(!), you have a prob!
    Accuracy beats horsepower/Tactics mean everything...
    In memory of Offs. Steven Trindle and Dennis C. Stepnowski

.XX
    Any update review?

Quote Originally Posted by .XX View Post
    Any update review?
    Super old thread you are topping, but I did run a test on the 45 200 Grain +P last summer and it did well. I have some 9mm to test some time in the spring. Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 45 Auto +P 200 Grain EFMJ - Terminal test
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but I do keep a mag loaded withe 9mm 124gr. In NJ hallow points are a no-no, to me this ammo has similar characteristics but is not considered hallow-point so I'm legal. I would like to buy another box and a box of 45, but can not seem to find it anywhere.
    Glock Armorer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links