Federal EFMJ ammo?

This is a discussion on Federal EFMJ ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read about but as of yet not actually gotten a hold of any Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo. Anyone here shot ony ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal EFMJ ammo?

Federal EFMJ ammo?

I have read about but as of yet not actually gotten a hold of any Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket ammo.

Anyone here shot ony of this ammo? Anyone have an opinion on it?

Having read several articles about it, it sounds like it could be the perfect ammo. Feeds reliably, expands no matter what it passes through first....sounds good. I am trying to find some. I want to test it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I wouldnt mind picking some up myself. Havent seen any around though.

I just ordered 50 rounds from Streichers on the 'net. Got sick of hearing all the good reports and never beeing able to find it locally. Will let you all know my impressions of it when I get to throw a few downrange. Friend of mine just shot a 1911 match and was talking defensive rounds with some 1911 types at the match. Seems Powerball is also gaining favor with some of that crowd as well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Ammoman.com has pix of expansion performance, good prices, and ship at the price you see. I've gotten a few GI ammo boxes from them and always got excellent service and product.

They most always have 9mm and .45 ACP, don't know what else.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

My problem with PoweRball is that it is made by Corbon. I am not a fan. I have had more hard primers from Corbon than all other makers of ammo I have shot combined.So, I do not trust them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i have experienced hard primers from S&B, so I can relate....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    I have yet to change from GD's but the round does have considerable appeal.

I am not sure without checking but seem to recall Steve Camp did try some of these out, or DXP's.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Hi,

I think Mr. Camp did a little informal testing of the 105gr version (non- +P.) I did a test of the 124gr +P version (which only gets 1100fps; it's only +P because the bullet takes up most of the case room).

The 124gr appears to work well. I have yet to take a live animal with it though (that will be test 2; racoon haven't come up to the house like they used to so I'm going after one during hunting season).

Here's my old writeup:

test 1 of the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket 124 grain +P 9mm

For those not familiar with the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ), it is what its name implies: a full metal jacketed round which expands. It does this via a rubber plug in the nose. Upon impact the rubber (actually silicone) presses against prestressed scored lines in the jacket, causing deformation and expansion. This renders the bullet immune to weaknesses from which a traditional hollow point bullet suffers, namely the ability to be clogged by cloth.

I am aware of two weights in 9mm caliber as of this point in time, 105 grain and 124 grain. I have heard rumors of a 115 grain version but have not seen it. The 105 grain is readily available to the public. I had been told that the 124 grain is primarily law enforcement. Gary at Federal Cartridge confirmed this. He did add however that they do not restrict sales to non - law enforcement as do some other companies and that it can be ordered through a law enforcement supply shop should one not wish to be “stuck with” the 105 grain option.

One of the cartridge’s claims to fame is the ability to penetrate barriers. Today I set out to test this.

The firearm used was my pet pistol, a 1991 vintage Taurus PT92. This is a pre-decock version and, as such, I often carry it in single action with the safety engaged, i.e., “cocked’n’locked”. I save the double action trigger for more politically correct functions: Whenever I’m in town.

The first item tested was accuracy. I need to know that my pistol will shoot a particular round before I trust my life to it. I therefore set a target at a paced seven yards.

I feel seven yards is more than adequate. I debated on using an actual tape measure; I decided, however, to pace it off as real world encounters are rarely measured. I stuck to my semi-controlled stance for the duration of this test.

This is what the rounds did in my hands, from my pistol. They are not as accurate as some other rounds I’ve fired. However, I believe they are plenty accurate for serious work and I am therefore carrying them at the moment.

Five shots were fired for accuracy from a Weaver stance. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Here is a closer view. All shots fired stayed on the playing card with no real flyer.

Next came the penetration tests. I had two barriers with me today: a piece of inch thick hardwood and two sheets of drywall. The sheets of drywall together equaled ½".

Here is the entrance hole on the oak.

I liked that entrance hole. I had never shot wood before that showed a circle as concentric as this.

This is the exit hole. Notice how much larger it is than the entrance. This seems to indicate that the bullet was already beginning to deform.

Deformation was suspected in wood, a trait which I’ve not seen shared by the traditional hollow point as it needs external hydrodynamic pressure to influence expansion/deformation. I decided to forego the test with the drywall as it would have been worse than redundant to the wood.

These are the wetpack entrance holes. The barely visible hole on the left was shot while the wetpack was naked. The one on the right shows the beginnings of expansion after the bullet passed through the wood.

Before I show the exit holes I would like to apologize as I could not manage to show the insides. Suffice to say both are perfectly conical showing uniform expansion. I particularly admire the fact that this ammunition can do this well after passing through a not informidable barrier.

The exit hole on the left was what the barrier penetrator made. The one on the right was bare wetpack.

In a day or two I will head out to the range again with a thicker wetpack. This one proved too thin though it did show how readily these rounds will expand. The new wetpack is soaking as I type this. I would also like to take a frontal shot on a racoon but I do not know if I will be given the chance.

Thus far I am favorably impressed with this ammunition. The recoil, while a bit sharp, is very quick. This to me is more important to bringing my pistol to bear again after recoil than a light, long “shove” type recoil.

I do not feel handicapped in the least by carrying Federal’s Expanding Full Metal Jacket over traditional hollow point ammunition.

Joshua M. Smith

Special thanks to Mr. Stephen A. Camp, Federal Cartridge Company and their excellent customer service, and to the members of Handguns and Ammunition who made me curious enough to start testing ammo a bit more seriously.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com
    http://www.federalcartridge.com

Additionally, here's what it says on the 124gr +P box:

*No hollowpoint for consistent expansion through barriers.
    *Rubber front core performs well at a wide range of operating velocities and temperatures.
    *Rear lead core provides weight for deep penetration*
    *Works well in short barreled handguns to MP-5 subguns.
    *Works well in all climates and provides reliable performance over a broad range of tactical conditions.

*A note on the lead core: I shot at, and missed, a wabbit last season. It began to run as I was clearing leather. I'm not that fast. The bullet entered the ground where most of the front jacket and silicone were stripped away. It ended up against a rock with the lead base nicely mushroomed. I do not know whether it was designed to do this or whether this is just a nice side-effect of the design, but it does look, from the way it's deformed, that the lead core began expanding in the earth and only came to rest against the rock. The depth would seem consistant with this theory.

As an aside, the +P is loaded with such a quick charge that it does not have much, if any, more recoil than a standard pressure cartridge. Remember, the +P rating is a pressure rating which does not necessarily translate into recoil. Think burn duration here as well. This cartridge doesn't have much burn duration.

Hope this helps,

Josh <><
    Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; August 2nd, 2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Had to be more readable.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for that Josh - most useful data.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have been carrying a mix of EFMJ Tactical 200+p and HST Tactical 230 in my 1911s for about a year or more. Excellent ammo and will penetrate most barriers. Streichers is the best place to get it at $26 for a box of 50 (45acp)

IIRC, Detroit PD uses the stuff. Perhaps you could find out some more info on its effectiveness from someone over there.

All the best,

Joe

Detriot did or still does issue it,,, but they had some problem with the ammo in a shooting, and last I heard it was under review

Thats interesting, I hadn't heard that. IIRC, Detroit used RNL and FMJ ammo prior to EFMJ. I sure hope they don't go back to that.

all the best,

Joe

I use either 147 HST or 124 +P EFMJ both work great out of my Kahr.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I really wish they'd offer the EFMJ in .32 auto. I think they're missing the boat on that one. It would be the perfect round for a lot of .32's that have a tendency to rim-lock. Are you listening Federal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links