Which Bullet Weight in .40?

This is a discussion on Which Bullet Weight in .40? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry 180-grain .40 S&W. Size does matter!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Which Bullet Weight in .40?

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I carry 180-grain .40 S&W. Size does matter!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

I found some Winchester 180 grain ammo at Academy today. The 50 rd box looked very generic and said 180 GR Bonded JHP. I opened one up and the round seemed to be loaded with a PDX1/ Ranger T style bullet! The price was 21.99...Not bad for 50 rds. Do any of you have experience with this rd? I picked up only one box for now until I found out more info.

IMAG0783.jpg
    IMAG0784.jpg
    IMAG0785.jpg
    PDX1 on the left, bonded JHP on right. (# Q434369)

I picked up 4 boxes(month ago) of the Winchester 180 grain bonded JHP. Seems to be the exact same stuff as the PDX1 only in a brass case instead of nickel plated. I ran about two magazines thru my Gen4 glock22 and they ran flawless. When I carry my glock for personal protection it is loaded 99% of the time with 180 grain HSTs. Thats just me though. I only paid approx. $19 per box which I think was a good price.

I agree. They look just like non-nickel plated PDX1s.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Tom-ay-to, to-mah-to.

For the heavy bullet folks, if 200 fps doesn't make a difference, then 15 grains (.03 oz.) doesn't make a difference. Consider the performance of the extremely light-for-caliber Barnes DPX bullets.

A heavy bullet may penetrate more, but it also expands a tad less, and any premium defensive ammo in .40 will penetrate 13" of ballistic gel and four layers of denim... and there have been good street results with all the common bullet weights... 155, 165, and 180 grain. Ballistic testing indicates that there's not more than an inch or so of penetration difference between different weights in the same caliber, and not more than 2" difference between the 9mm and the .45 ACP for a given round.

I honestly think we overthink the bullet issue, and we should just stop worrying and learn to love the bullet (Including 9mm 115-gr. +P+, 9mm 124-gr. +P, 9mm 127-gr. +P+, 9mm 147-gr., .40-cal. 155-gr., .40-cal. 165-gr., .40 cal. 180-gr., .45 cal. 185-gr., .45 cal. 200-gr., and .45 cal. 230-gr.)
    Hakkaa päälle!

Whatever you shoot best with. Just make sure it penetrates deep enough and you practice those vital shots. There's no magic bullet, son.

That said, most of the FBI and LEOs in general use a 180 grain as far I know. Take that how you will...

I usually carry CorBon 135 gr JHP ammo, though sometimes I'll use Remington Golden Saber 165 gr.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Tom-ay-to, to-mah-to.

For the heavy bullet folks, if 200 fps doesn't make a difference, then 15 grains (.03 oz.) doesn't make a difference. Consider the performance of the extremely light-for-caliber Barnes DPX bullets.

A heavy bullet may penetrate more, but it also expands a tad less, and any premium defensive ammo in .40 will penetrate 13" of ballistic gel and four layers of denim... and there have been good street results with all the common bullet weights... 155, 165, and 180 grain. Ballistic testing indicates that there's not more than an inch or so of penetration difference between different weights in the same caliber, and not more than 2" difference between the 9mm and the .45 ACP for a given round.

I honestly think we overthink the bullet issue, and we should just stop worrying and learn to love the bullet (Including 9mm 115-gr. +P+, 9mm 124-gr. +P, 9mm 127-gr. +P+, 9mm 147-gr., .40-cal. 155-gr., .40-cal. 165-gr., .40 cal. 180-gr., .45 cal. 185-gr., .45 cal. 200-gr., and .45 cal. 230-gr.)
    For the most part your post can be agreed upon with an exception..... We wont be shooting into a block of ballistic gel to try and stop it from killing ourselves or a loved one...No sarcastic stab intended.

In the real world of choosing a defensive load we need to factor in a couple of variables, one being, the shooter may not have the best position to try to make a shot, and provided what angle the point of entry is, the extra two inches of depth vary well could make all the difference in the world. The other could be that the round may contact bone and need the extra weight to continue on its path with as little deflection as possible. Just a thought.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

A week ago I did some unscientific testing of different .40 S&W ammo at the range using a heavy duty pistol dueling tree and my S&W MP40. I wanted to see how the heavy steel plates reacted to the different kinds of bullets at a distance of 20 yards. Here's what I observed:

Blazer (Cor-Bon) 135 grn Powerball — center-plate hits caused only slight (if any) movement of the plates.
    Hornady 165 grn Critical Defense — Only a dead-center hit would swing the plate to the other side.
    Cor-Bon 135 grn +P JHP — swung the plates fairly regularly.
    Winchester 180 grn Black Talons — snapped the plates around with ease
    Winchester "white box" 180 grn bonded JHP — same as the Black Talons. In fact, the bullets appeared to be identical, except for the black teflon coating.

As for perceived recoil, the +P Cor-Bons were the snappiest, followed closely by the Winnie "white box" loads. Interestingly, the Black Talons seemed to have the lightest recoil of all the loads I shot that day.

Personal conclusion: I found a local mom-and-pop gun store selling 50-round boxes of the Winnie "white box" 180 grn bonded JHPs for $17.99, so I stocked up. Cheap enough to practice with, and seemingly effective enough to carry. Bonus!
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links