Best short barrel .44 ammo - Page 2

Best short barrel .44 ammo

This is a discussion on Best short barrel .44 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Anthony I agree. But all calibers have this 'point of diminishing returns'. A .38/.357 is nice up to 180 grains, but heavier ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best short barrel .44 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I agree.
    But all calibers have this 'point of diminishing returns'.
    A .38/.357 is nice up to 180 grains, but heavier (200 grains for example,) is 'pushing it' IMHO.

Your previous post was very important, with reference powders used for short barrels.
    I reload much of my self defense ammo.
    .38 spl cases, with ammo loaded to .38/44 pressures, for 2 inch barrelled revolvers. (I have a 4 inch brl revolver also, but it stays at home.)
    No point in using a powder such as 2400, due to the rediculous 'fireball'.
    Yeah,2400 is at its best with longer barrels. But the unburnt powder effects from a short tube are a real show.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah,2400 is at its best with longer barrels. But the unburnt powder effects from a short tube are a real show.
    That is for sure! :)

Seriously, the most important thing along with accuracy when choosing a bullet/load, is the intended use.

There is no point in loading a 250 grain hard cast lead SWC bullet, or a 300 grn JHP designed for tough and heavy skinned game, if our intended target(s) are two legged predators.

Back in 1980, I bought a S&W 4 ich brl M 29.
    The Federal 180 grain JHPs were the most accurate and less recoiling of the factory loads.
    I bought and shot many factory loads of all types to build up a nice supply of once fired brass for later handloading of course.

What is the probable target?
    Then choose a bullet/load.

I personally feel that the short brl .44/.45 revolvers to be great self defense handguns. Be they .44 Special, .44 magnum or .45 Colt.
    But their 'perfection' depends on ammo/bullet selection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links