the old 38/357 discussion - question

This is a discussion on the old 38/357 discussion - question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i carry a ruger sp101 - .357 3" 1. i'm all over the place with 125 golden sabers and critical defense (probably dont shoot enough) ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: the old 38/357 discussion - question

i carry a ruger sp101 - .357 3"
    1. i'm all over the place with 125 golden sabers and critical defense (probably dont shoot enough)
    2. i shoot the speer .357 - 135gr gold dot (short barrel) quite well but am spot on with
    speer .38 +p 125 gr gold dot.
    3. so - which one or either ? - the spot on .38 +p (giving up +-50 ftlb in energy) or stay with the
    .357 - 135gr short barrel ?
    thanks - jato

VIP Member
    Better to hit with a .22 than miss with a 50 caliber.

Proper training often helps too . Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing to be concerned with. The 38spl has been doing the job for a long time, and doing it well. Oswald and Lennon are good examples.

I would however go with 158 weight lswc for it's better penetrating qualities, and much cheaper to shoot, therefor more practice.
    wmhawth, DefConGun and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There is nothing to be concerned with. The 38spl has been doing the job for a long time, and doing it well. Oswald and Lennon are good examples.

I would however go with 158 weight lswc for it's better penetrating qualities, and much cheaper to shoot, therefor more practice.
    Ya know, as usual, Glockman is spot on. I might eventually transition to one of my recently purchased Glocks for concealed carry once I learn to shoot them better, but for now I typically carry a j frame with 158 gr lswchp.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Cool

The G-man knows from wence he speaks and he speaks from expierence.

The old .38 spl. 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow point will do all you need in a .38 spl.

That said I like .357's in a .357 for me.

As Skeeter64 says in his signature: .357 mag, when you care enough to send the very best!

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Need I say anything at all..... Nope...... But I must... Go with the heavy stuff in the caliber you shoot the best, and you can't go wrong!

158gr .38 special in +p, or not will do its part easily. The real question that needs to be answered is; can the shooter do theirs.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    If the question is simply whether or not to use Speer .357 135gr, or Speer .38spl+P 135gr then I would say use the .38spl+P. To this day I have no idea why Speer makes a 135 gr .38spl that goes around 900 fps, and also makes a .357 135 gr that goes around 1000fps. They just seem awfully similar, so I would go with the one that is more controllable.

If you want some more suggestions about good ammo, here's my .02. I have an SP and I have found that yes, full power magnums are stout, but not impossible. I very much like the Corbon 110gr .357 load. Very hot, yet noticeably less recoil. Another good load is the Corbon .38spl+P 110gr all copper Barnes.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

cmb
    I am the opposite, shoot 357 better in my colt snubbie than 38 special... I don't carry it much but when i doit is loaded w/ 357, I keep my speed loaders prepped w/ 357 but a;; my speed strips are 38+p, so I don't ever confuse them to my 38...

I woul go w/ what you shoot the best; I know I wouldn't want to hear that 357 blst without plugs in but the power is awesome!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

"but am spot on with
    speer .38 +p 125 gr gold dot."

Theres your answer. Like stated above 38 has been doing the job for a long time, it's all up to the shooter to do their job.

Use whatever you shoot the best.

There are lots of other .38/.357 loads available. Give the 158s a try
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    welcome to the site

as others have said.....practice practice practice
    try different ammo....like the 158's
    I have tried Winchester 125gr+P, WWB .38 practice ammo, monarch 158gr LSWC, and several others in my 642 and they all shoot well
    I haven't tried very many types/brands in my GP100..............yet
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I have several .357's on hand and have always had some but the .38 Special has seen far more actual field use in serving my needs. In actually shooting varmints and critters the .38 Special is quite effective and "does the business" with any sort of good hit. This includes its use with more mundane standard loadings instead of the specialized "performance" loads. I'll venture to say that, in application, the difference between the .38 Special and the .357 Magnum is much less than most suppose.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

A great resource on payload comparison of 357 versus 38 (about 200 fps difference between the calibers out of a snubby) from Stephen Camp - one of the most knowledgeable people that ever made a post on the web about firearms.

38 vs 357

I like my 158 gr 357 mag loads from Doubletap, but if you can't handle the load, use what you can hit with... Nothing wrong with 38+p... Bear in mind, if your first round is spot on, the follow up may be unnecessary.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I also have a 3 inch SP101 mostly carry it when hunting & use .357 mag hydra-shocks--when I carry it in town I load it with + p .38 specials 158 grain LSWHP from Buffalo Bore.
    Quicker follow up shots less muzzle blast & less chance of over penatration
    and the little Ruger shoots it well thats why I like the + p Buffalo Bore round.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Choose the caliber where you have better accuracy and recoil control. If you can't hit the side of a barn with a .357 Magnum at the range, chances are that under stress the end result will be worse. Therefore, I suggest that you stick to .38 Special. It is better to have 2 well placed shots with .38 Special, than a bunch of misses with your .357 Magnum. Nonetheless, try to work on your accuracy with .357 Magnum before making the decision. Perhaps you need to do more dry firing, fix your grip or work on your trigger pull. Give it a last shot with the .357, but if it doesn't work, then you will be in good hands with the .38 Special.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Links