Corbon .38 spl +p+..........

Corbon .38 spl +p+..........

This is a discussion on Corbon .38 spl +p+.......... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across some old Corbon ammunition in my ammo stash from the late 1980's and decided to shoot it today. The box is marked ...

Cool Corbon .38 spl +p+..........

I came across some old Corbon ammunition in my ammo stash from the late 1980's and decided to shoot it today.

The box is marked .38 spl. 115 grain +p+ @ 1250 fps.

I shot it in my Ruger SP-101 with 2 1/4" barrel.

My WW white box .357 110 grain practice rounds did not come close to the blast and recoil of this Corbon load.

This stuff was smoking. Glad I did not shoot it in the S&W 638.

Anyone else had expierence with the older and seems to be hotter Corbon ammo.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have Federal Hydrashok 38+P+ and it sure as heck doesn't pop like Doubletap 357 magnums, but I am convinced the 38+P+ is just a 357 magnum they wanted to sell for the 38 hehe. I don't shoot CorBon, but I understand the majority of their loads just sizzle out of the barrel.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I used to have some of that ammo, and have shot a little of it. May still have a few rounds. If it is the same stuff I had, there was a warning published about it a few years back. It was reaching high-end .357 pressures, as I recall. Very, very hot stuff. I don't recall it having lots of flash, but the blast and recoil were quite impressive. It also cratered primers badly. I chronoed some, and it beat the velocity on the box by some margin, though I forget the exact numbers. I'd limit its use to .357s. Keep in mind, "+P+" .38 ammo has no SAAMI pressure specs; that just means that it reaches pressures higher than +P. The original +P+ .38 ammo was intended only for use in .357 mag. revolvers, although I've shot a lot of Federal 147gr. +P+ in .38s.

It would be good fun to run a batch over the chronograph.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

From another forum with the same basic question:

TeamCorbon
    USA
    591 Posts

Posted - March 07 2011 : 0842 AM
    We dropped the +P+ loading because it wasn't any better than the same bullet loaded to +P pressures. Most people that carry snub's carry J frame size, not K or L frame. The smaller revolvers were never approved for +P+ ammunition, so we just backed it down to +P.

Believe it or not, this is very much a customer's needs/wants based industry. If the customer complains enough about something, it will be changed. After numerous calls about not being able to use our 38 Spl ammo in their guns, we changed it!
    Mike Shovel
    Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    Mike@CORBON.com
    412-496-0428
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I've still got some of the +P+ stuff. Five of them are in my Taurus 85CH, ten more in speedloaders, with a half box left in the ammo bin. I've fired a few in practice, and I'm fairly sure the gun will handle the rest when the SHTF.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I have used CorBon ammo for years and remember the ammo you are talking about quite well. Much hotter than the 110 or 125 +p currently available.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Links