9mm sd ammo

This is a discussion on 9mm sd ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; any input on federal classic hi-shok jacketed hollow piont in the 115 grain , i was thinking about the cridacal defence ammo , but have ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda66

Thread: 9mm sd ammo

  1. #1
    Member Array shadow38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    CARTERSVILLE, GEORGIA
    Posts
    20

    Smile 9mm sd ammo

    any input on federal classic hi-shok jacketed hollow piont in the 115 grain , i was thinking about the cridacal defence ammo , but have read some disappointing reviews , like not for shooting through a windshield, sheetmetal , basic s/d stuff ::oh , sorry i got some of this info from firearms tatical.com should have said tha the first time

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    cmb
    cmb is offline
    Senior Member Array cmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    829
    It is because a 115 grain bullet is easily defelcted by windshield, recommend 230 grain!

    Kidding.... I use 124 grain gold dots, have not shot either of those you mentioned but I would be careful about those who quibble over windshields and such, you job in a fight is to survive and if they are hiding you have opportunity to retreat to brick and mortar which is a far better cover, there are countless stories about the 45, 40, 9mm, 380, 32, 22 and all the others being the best or the worst; IMO buy a quality name brand hollowpoint in 9mm/40 make sure it feeds 100% in your gun and you shoot it well because different ammos do shoot different and then buy enough to practice and have on hand just in case they stop making that version...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

    "Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

    "Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,196
    Read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

    Choose any one of the loads listed under 9mm, keeping in mind that they are listed in no particular order, and you may find that some of them are consdierably more expensive and/or harder to find than others.

    Buy a box, and see if you pistol is 100% reliable with it, and if it shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control. Shoot at least one or two entire magazines of every mag you plan on carrying/using for SD purposes. If it works, and you're happy with it's performance, you've found a good carry load; stock up.
    oneshot likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    1,530
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    It is because a 115 grain bullet is easily defelcted by windshield, recommend 230 grain!

    Kidding.... I use 124 grain gold dots, have not shot either of those you mentioned but I would be careful about those who quibble over windshields and such, you job in a fight is to survive and if they are hiding you have opportunity to retreat to brick and mortar which is a far better cover, there are countless stories about the 45, 40, 9mm, 380, 32, 22 and all the others being the best or the worst; IMO buy a quality name brand hollowpoint in 9mm/40 make sure it feeds 100% in your gun and you shoot it well because different ammos do shoot different and then buy enough to practice and have on hand just in case they stop making that version...
    Good advice above from "cmb". I shoot Winchester Ranger T 124 grain +P in my 9mm. I don't know about Federal Hi-shok, however I do shoot Federal Hydra-shok in my .44mag. no complaints. I think just about any QUALITY SD round that your pistola feeds and eats without fail, will do the job. Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  6. #5
    Guest Array Guest1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    home-astan(FINALLY)
    Posts
    1,125
    All the talk about 115,124,40.cal 45.,it doesn't matter,just remember one thing,MULTIPLE STIMULAS on the affected area cures all.

  7. #6
    Member Array shadow38's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    CARTERSVILLE, GEORGIA
    Posts
    20
    well i thank you all for the in put ,

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    I use a mag full of either GLASER or MAGSAFE only in South Florida for the sole reason of it being bounce proof. I don't worry about over penetration even in a 45, I worry about a miss in a very crowded environment and that slug bouncing around before coming to rest in an innocent person. If I miss (God forbid) the round will powder against the first solid object it hits. If I do my job and hit center mass, in south Florida (lightweight shirts, etc) I'm not worried about getting deep enough to stop, unless it's somebody like the weight I USED to be at 310+ then I'll be shooting for sure much higher in the chest plate than center mass. Now I weigh about 160 so, lol a harsh wind blows me away. Anytime the weather turns lousy or I move north for vacations in reciprocity land, I switch to 230gr in either Gold Dot, Federal HSP2 or Winchester Rangers. I don't ever shoot any COR-BON DPX since it seems to be problematic for jamming in some of my carry guns. Something to do with the bullet seating depth making it longer than normal.

    Once, a long time ago, when my father in law was still living he ran inside from his airplane hangar at his north Florida retirement "castle" and said there was a rattler in the hangar and the kids were nearby. I snatched my 1911 and sprinted down there ... and sure enough a pygmy rattler was all coiled up and nestled into a warm corner of solid concrete and I would have worried about splash but I remembered the first slug was a Glaser. I got right close so I could be sure of a head shot without coming close enough for him to strike. Blew the head clean off and not a single fragment splattered anywhere. I have heard a lot of folks scream about MAGSAFE and GLASER or RBCD as frauds but I'll keep my own counsel thank you. I load all three of those into a primary mag and the gun feeds them 100% with no malfunctions, ever. Muzzle flash is low and so is recoil. I hit what I aim at and as I said, if I do my job on shot placement, then bullet configuration won't matter too much and if I don't or some other factor intervenes, then not bouncing shots will matter a lot. That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 29th, 2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add snake story
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Array Texag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I use a mag full of either GLASER or MAGSAFE only in South Florida for the sole reason of it being bounce proof. I don't worry about over penetration even in a 45, I worry about a miss in a very crowded environment and that slug bouncing around before coming to rest in an innocent person. If I miss (God forbid) the round will powder against the first solid object it hits. If I do my job and hit center mass, in south Florida (lightweight shirts, etc) I'm not worried about getting deep enough to stop, unless it's somebody like the weight I USED to be at 310+ then I'll be shooting for sure much higher in the chest plate than center mass. Now I weigh about 160 so, lol a harsh wind blows me away. Anytime the weather turns lousy or I move north for vacations in reciprocity land, I switch to 230gr in either Gold Dot, Federal HSP2 or Winchester Rangers. I don't ever shoot any COR-BON DPX since it seems to be problematic for jamming in some of my carry guns. Something to do with the bullet seating depth making it longer than normal.

    Once, a long time ago, when my father in law was still living he ran inside from his airplane hangar at his north Florida retirement "castle" and said there was a rattler in the hangar and the kids were nearby. I snatched my 1911 and sprinted down there ... and sure enough a pygmy rattler was all coiled up and nestled into a warm corner of solid concrete and I would have worried about splash but I remembered the first slug was a Glaser. I got right close so I could be sure of a head shot without coming close enough for him to strike. Blew the head clean off and not a single fragment splattered anywhere. I have heard a lot of folks scream about MAGSAFE and GLASER or RBCD as frauds but I'll keep my own counsel thank you. I load all three of those into a primary mag and the gun feeds them 100% with no malfunctions, ever. Muzzle flash is low and so is recoil. I hit what I aim at and as I said, if I do my job on shot placement, then bullet configuration won't matter too much and if I don't or some other factor intervenes, then not bouncing shots will matter a lot. That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!
    That sounds all well and good, til your magic bullet turns to powder on the bones of your attackers arm that lies between your gun and his vitals. The FBI 12" penetration minimum exists for a reason.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Cold Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    875
    I liked corbon 115g +p jhp when I used to have a 9mm. I also liked speer 124g gold dots. Plan on putting 3 or more of either of those at center mass, and you'll be good to go.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    That sounds all well and good, til your magic bullet turns to powder on the bones of your attackers arm that lies between your gun and his vitals. The FBI 12" penetration minimum exists for a reason.
    And reiterating the wonderful thing about all of this is that it is STILL my decision and not yours. Did you read the part of my last post where I said that I know that folks don't like 'em but that's okay, because I choose to keep my own counsel on things like this. I have a lot of training and experience and I'm pretty sure I know what will work best for me. Right? Anyway, when it comes to 9mm, after a mag of MAGSAFE, I'd go with 124gr Gold Dot.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  12. #11
    Member Array MikeNice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow38 View Post
    any input on federal classic hi-shok jacketed hollow piont in the 115 grain , i was thinking about the cridacal defence ammo , but have read some disappointing reviews , like not for shooting through a windshield, sheetmetal , basic s/d stuff ::oh , sorry i got some of this info from firearms tatical.com should have said tha the first time
    Critical defense is made to go through heavy clothing and still expand every time. It is not meant to pass through barriers and compete in the FBI tests. According to Hornady's own published info it does about 11" in cloth coverred gel. It seems to dump most of the energy in the first 8". It will get the job done if you are surgical with the application of lead.

    The Federal hi-shok is an older design and has been said to clog through clothing. I haven't used it but there is a good write up here.

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    7,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Read this: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

    Choose any one of the loads listed under 9mm, keeping in mind that they are listed in no particular order, and you may find that some of them are consdierably more expensive and/or harder to find than others.

    Buy a box, and see if you pistol is 100% reliable with it, and if it shoots with what you consider acceptible accuracy and control. Shoot at least one or two entire magazines of every mag you plan on carrying/using for SD purposes. If it works, and you're happy with it's performance, you've found a good carry load; stock up.









    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^







    9mm

    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array Cuda66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    2,196
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    Critical defense is made to go through heavy clothing and still expand every time. It is not meant to pass through barriers and compete in the FBI tests. According to Hornady's own published info it does about 11" in cloth coverred gel. It seems to dump most of the energy in the first 8". It will get the job done if you are surgical with the application of lead.

    The Federal hi-shok is an older design and has been said to clog through clothing. I haven't used it but there is a good write up here.
    Except Hornady CD doesn't expand every time; there's plenty of examples of it failing to expand.

    The only place it expands 100% is in Hornady's commercials.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

    ...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper


    There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

  15. #14
    Member Array MikeNice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    217
    Cuda, I haven't seen any test where it failed to expand. If you could point me in the direction of a few I would appreciate it. I was actually thinking of changing to CD for home use.

    I currently carry Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr. I was thinking of switching when my kid moves to their own room. The CD doesn't seem as likely to pass through two walls, mirrors, and a medicine cabinet with a lot of energy left over. Neither bullet probably would, but eh . . . I'm a dad I worry about these things.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array Texag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    508
    Hornady likes to make a big deal about CD not clogging when shot through clothing and having flash suppressing powder. I guess they're counting on no one mentioning that the same has been true of other proven designs for years, and those designs are ones I can trust if I have the misfortune of having to shoot someone through an intermediate barrier.

    ExSoldier-you go right ahead using ammo that is designed to do the exact opposite of what has been proven effective in testing and in actual shootings. For those interested, Brassfetcher has tests of magsafe and glaser rounds in .40 flavor. The results are predictably poor when compared to conventional JHP ammo.

    ETA: Mike, if you're worried about overpenetration through walls, a rifle in .223/5.56 makes sense. With ammo that still meets FBI penetration requirements in bare gel, a 5.56 rifle will have the least amount of penetration left after going through wallboard. rounds like 75gr TAP are readily available and perfect for this scenario. In addition, they will cause much more damage to the target than a pistol round.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mm ammo review
,
9mm sd ammo
,
bulldog 9mm ammo
,
federal classic 9mm
,

federal classic hi shok 9mm

,

federal classic hi shok 9mm review

,
federal classic hi-shok 115 grain
,
federal classic hi-shok 9mm
,

federal hi shok 9mm review

,
federal hi shok 9mm reviews
,

federal hi-shok 9mm review

,
sd ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.