9mm Powerhouse loads - Page 2

9mm Powerhouse loads

This is a discussion on 9mm Powerhouse loads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only +P+ 9mm load that has substantiated real world results is the Federal 9BPLE, 115gr +P+ load. For along time it was only available ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm Powerhouse loads

VIP Member
    The only +P+ 9mm load that has substantiated real world results is the Federal 9BPLE, 115gr +P+ load. For along time it was only available to LE. It's a load the FBI used, it's been putting bad guys in the dirt, for about 20 years. You can find it around if you look. I got mine at ammunition to go.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

From .22 short to .50 AE there is NO round that I am willing to stand in front of and say shoot me. The 9mm in standard loads or +p loads or +p+ loads will all do the job IMHO. I carry a Kahr CW9 with 7+1 of Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. I can say that if I have to use it, when I put 8 rounds in to the chest of my attacker I most likely will have stopped the threat.
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    The only +P+ 9mm load that has substantiated real world results is the Federal 9BPLE, 115gr +P+ load. For along time it was only available to LE. It's a load the FBI used, it's been putting bad guys in the dirt, for about 20 years. You can find it around if you look. I got mine at ammunition to go.
    There's a reason the FBI no longer uses this load, it doesn't meet their standards. I received a 50 rd box of it when I let a friend shoot 50 rounds of my ammo and promptly used it up at the range. There are numerous better options available.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    There's a reason the FBI no longer uses this load, it doesn't meet their standards. I received a 50 rd box of it when I let a friend shoot 50 rounds of my ammo and promptly used it up at the range. There are numerous better options available.
    Mind listing the other options? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredanthony View Post
    - Any of the rounds on this list would be a good chioce.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by fredanthony View Post
    Tokerblue beat me to it.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

As others have said, check out the leading manufacturers and data that's available. But, most important is the function and reliability in your particular gun. Any bullet will usually fire, but will the shooter be able to place the shot? There is no magic bullet out there and I understand someone wanting to use what they think is perceived best. Try some of those rounds suggested and go with what works for you and the gun and that includes a lot of range time....there is no substitute!

As we talk about power house ammo, there are people taking each other out every day with anything from 25 cal, 22 cal and up on the steets. Again, all about placement. Most folks who carry will fortunately never have to use their firearm, but it's a great tool if needed and you want the bullet to function as it should. Remember, if it's used for personal defense, it'll be up close and personal, won't have to worry about those 1" groups!
    My 9mm round of choice is the Remington Golden Saber. I have used Hydra Shocks, Magtech and what ever else I could get my hands on and all have functioned perfectly through my Glock. I have the comfort level needed in both my self and ammo capabilities. Lot's of stuff to choose from....

I use a couple of different rounds in my SD Glock 26 magazines.

My primary magazine contains twelve Winchester Talon 127 GR., +P+ rounds and my backup magazine contains twelve Speer Gold Dot 124 GR., +p rounds.

I made these choices based on the recommendation of Mas Ayoob, who has a whole lot more experience than me. If it's good enough for Mas, it's good enough for me, without question.

For target practice it's the cheap WalMart stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links