9mm Powerhouse loads

This is a discussion on 9mm Powerhouse loads within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a XDSC 9mm and always loaded and shot 124+P HST or Speer Gold dot. I always heard those two along with the rangers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm Powerhouse loads

9mm Powerhouse loads

I carry a XDSC 9mm and always loaded and shot 124+P HST or Speer Gold dot. I always heard those two along with the rangers are top of the line for SD performance. However I ran across double tap and buffallo bore ammo. The HST is 1200fps 400 energy. However the other two listed are much more powerfull. Does anyone know if they are real numbers and accurate and perform like the 3 known above to perform like they do with penetration and expansion.

Heres the two I found I understand they are 115 grain but even the 124 grain still look like they are better results than the 3 above i listed

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 9mm Luger +P+ 115 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Jacketed Hollow Point Lead-Free Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

DoubleTap Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 115 Grain Bonded Defense Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

DoubleTap Ammunition 9mm Luger +P 124 Grain Bonded Defense Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 9mm Luger +P+ 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

2. Remove Ads

i carry the Winchester Ranger 9mm 127 +p+, which is one Hell of a fine round with wicked expansion and ballistics....

i have tried buffalo bore before and they make some good stuff...

The BB and Dt are two of the very best loadings on the market, as far as velocity goes. But I'll be damned if I pay 30 something bucks for 20 rounds loaded with Barnes bullets, or gold bullets gor that matter.

I think people are getting to caught up in this power thing.
    It's a trend I have noticed growing over the years, and it's related to using light weight bullets. Just buy 147 weight and put the bullet in the boiler room.

It's a good thing nobody told Wild Bill his 36 cal Navy Colts weren't anymore powerful than a 32 or 380 loading, cause he would not have made legend status. But he didn't worry about such things, he just killed men with what he had. Novel notion ain't it?
    MikeNice, ASSA9 and pbmagnet like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'd like to know if there are any documented self-defense shootings (on humans, not game) with Buffalo Bore ammo (all cals, not just the 9mm). The exterior ballistics look good on paper, but that doesn't always translate into real-world performance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I carry and recommend Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding Box of 25, Product #: 388966, Manufacturer #: 90250

https://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduc...tNumber=388966

The only way to see what performance you'll get is to chrono it from your particular gun. Maybe the test numbers are from pressure barrels or otherwise "optimum" conditions that are to the manufaturer's advantage.

And my feeling is that guns are manufactured to shoot ammunition within a certain range of pressures amd velocities and the more you deviate from the middle of the road so-to-speak, the more a risk of malfunctions. Add up the cost to shoot 200 high tech fancy rounds when you consider if its worth it. Maybe if you need more power than a 124+P you need a .40.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

It's all about the money. I carry, fmj in 45, out of style Hydra Shocks in my duty gun, and plain ol lswc style in everything else. And if history is any kind of indicator, they will all get me through the night.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Velocity and ft. lbs. don't tell you about how a bullet actually performs in tissue. Those loads are regarded as some of the best for a reason.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd like to know if there are any documented self-defense shootings (on humans, not game) with Buffalo Bore ammo (all cals, not just the 9mm). The exterior ballistics look good on paper, but that doesn't always translate into real-world performance.
    Real world, your the man.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's all about the money. I carry, fmj in 45, out of style Hydra Shocks in my duty gun, and plain ol lswc style in everything else. And if history is any kind of indicator, they will all get me through the night.
    Give that man a cigar, your correct.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The only way to see what performance you'll get is to chrono it from your particular gun. Maybe the test numbers are from pressure barrels or otherwise "optimum" conditions that are to the manufaturer's advantage.

And my feeling is that guns are manufactured to shoot ammunition within a certain range of pressures amd velocities and the more you deviate from the middle of the road so-to-speak, the more a risk of malfunctions. Add up the cost to shoot 200 high tech fancy rounds when you consider if its worth it. Maybe if you need more power than a 124+P you need a .40.
    That's right, I suscribe to the theory that if regular SD ammo in any caliber is too weak for you-----then you need a bigger caliber.
    Cattus Vir likes this.

I am not saying its too weak at all. Just saying you want the biggest punch in the smallest pack you can conceal and shoot well. I can conceal the 9mm well and shoot it well. just wondering if you can have a 9mm with as good or better round as a 40 caliber without having the extra muzzle flip and recoil from the 40. If i felt a need to step up and could conceal it I would go to a 45 auto

If you're using quality bullets like Speer Gold Dots, then it's time to focus on training and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I am not saying its too weak at all. Just saying you want the biggest punch in the smallest pack you can conceal and shoot well. I can conceal the 9mm well and shoot it well. just wondering if you can have a 9mm with as good or better round as a 40 caliber without having the extra muzzle flip and recoil from the 40. If i felt a need to step up and could conceal it I would go to a 45 auto
    There was a guy about 400 hundred or so years ago named Newton that said for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

That means if you push a 9mm until it has the same energy as a .40, it will have the same recoil as a .40. TANSTAAFL.

The HST's you're using are some of the best 9mm loads out there. Don't get sucked into the "more energy is better" trap.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That is what a lot of people forget. You can push a bullet past it's intended range. Then you end up with a bullet under performing.

When you look at the Winchester Ranger T 127gr+p+ it actually underperforms compared to the 124gr+p or 147gr. According to Winchester it has less penetration and only gains .02" in expansion. I'll take the extra 2" of penetration over .02" of expansion and go 147gr.

That is just one example of more velocity not equaling more performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links