9mm carry ammo

9mm carry ammo

This is a discussion on 9mm carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has probably been asked and answered here before, but I'm kind of new here and could use a little advice on CCW ammo. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9mm carry ammo

9mm carry ammo

This has probably been asked and answered here before, but I'm kind of new here and could use a little advice on CCW ammo.

My carry piece is a Ruger SR9c. For range shooting I have been using PMC Bronze (brass cased) 9mm 115 grain ammo. Fairly inexpensive, seems to be reliable and consistent (no FTEs or FTFs so far). However, I like something with a bit more poop for CCW.

Right now I have a box of Hornady TAP FPD 124 gr that I'm carrying in the mags. but I have never yet shot any of it. This stuff has a steel case and I have been reading on some other threads that some people really don't like steel case ammo as it might damage the extractor. While steel is certainly tougher than brass, I'm not too sure that a steel case would damage an extractor. The Hornady ammo is moderately expensive, but I'm less concerned about price that I am about the long term health of my new Ruger. Maybe some other brand would work better than Hornady? Not interested in +P ammo.

Any advice would be welcome.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    Not interested in +P ammo.
    Is there are particular reason you don't want +P ammunition?

As for ammunition choices, here is a great read.
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I like Speer Gold Dots. They're very accurate and feed great in all of my guns.

VIP Member
    The Hornady TAP round is an excellent choice for carry. While I don't shoot +P ammo at the range regularly, I do carry it. Your SR9c is rated for +P, so it's not going to damage your gun. The +P loads are what has upgraded the 9mm's effectiveness over years past. I would shoot some of your chosen load, reg. or +P, at the range to check point of aim and function, then you'll be ready to go.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    You might want to try federal hi-shock 115 grain JHP there brass cased & cheap & are supposed to be pretty effictive.

During WW2 to save on our shrinking supply of brass the govertment started loading the .45 acp handgun rounds with steel cases as the story goes broke a lot of 1911 extractors. I think that's why still today some people ( me included ) shy away from steel cases. Anytime I see someone shooting wolf or some other steel cased ammo I always ask about extractor breakage & have yet to have met anyone that had an Issue with steel cases & extractors.

Whatever the case please shoot at least a few magazines of your carry loads before you load 'em up & carry.
    Remember what Ned Pepper said about a firearm misfiring in the movie "true grit".

"They will embarrass you every time"

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    This thread could go on and on. If you stick with any of the major manufacturers who are known for quality products you won't have a problem, i.e. Federal, Speer, Corbon, Hornady, Remington, BB, Doubletap, exc. Just make sure it cycles and fires every time and your good to go.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I believe you are mistaken. Hornaday TAP FPD has never been loaded with steel cases. They're loaded in nickel-plated brass cases. Where did you hear that the cases were steel?

Ruger has always overbuilt their guns. Your SR9c will not suffer from moderate amounts of +P ammunition, which the manual probably states. The long-term health of your Ruger is probably a minimum of 30,000 rounds fired. Almost no one shoots a modern firearm enough to completely wear it out. Small parts breakages will also probably be extremely rare.

If you don't like +P 9mm, Speer makes several Gold Dot standard pressure loads. I would recommend the 124 or 147 grain Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, or Federal HST.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I like the Winchester Ranger T-series Bonded. The FBI adopted the PDX1 and the T-series bonded is basically the same round but half the price and with brass casings rather than nickle plated....

I always go with heaviest grain weight available and +p in 9mm.
    chefjon likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

SamRudolph,

Sam, you're probably right about the Hornady ammo I have. The cases are steel colored, so I just assumed they are steel. They could easily be nickel plated brass. It doesn't say anywhere on the box, so I guess I go check out their web site. Based on what everybody has said, I suppose I don't really have to worry too much about busting or dulling my extractor.

Thanks everybody for your responses.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This has probably been asked and answered here before, but I'm kind of new here and could use a little advice on CCW ammo.

My carry piece is a Ruger SR9c. For range shooting I have been using PMC Bronze (brass cased) 9mm 115 grain ammo. Fairly inexpensive, seems to be reliable and consistent (no FTEs or FTFs so far). However, I like something with a bit more poop for CCW.

Right now I have a box of Hornady TAP FPD 124 gr that I'm carrying in the mags. but I have never yet shot any of it. This stuff has a steel case and I have been reading on some other threads that some people really don't like steel case ammo as it might damage the extractor. While steel is certainly tougher than brass, I'm not too sure that a steel case would damage an extractor. The Hornady ammo is moderately expensive, but I'm less concerned about price that I am about the long term health of my new Ruger. Maybe some other brand would work better than Hornady? Not interested in +P ammo.

TAP FPD does not have a steel case. If it's silver-colored, it's nickle-plated brass, and if it's black, it's black nickel-plated brass.

Hornady does have a line of steelcased ammo out, but it's called Steel Match, not TAP, and is not designed for defense.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The rounds you have will work fine. Make sure it cycles and you are accurate with it.

If you still feel uncomfortable go with Winchester Ranger, Federal HST, or Speer Gold Dot. Those are the most common law enforcement rounds.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

The TAP FPD is a GREAT choice! The Law Enforcement agencies that use Hornady, will usually choose that brand. I currently use the Hornady 147Gr XTP. Other ammo I have sitting around consist of Federal Hydra-shok and Winchester PDX1.

I absolutely recommend Gold Dot short barrel ammo to all my students who are carrying any sub-compact,as we all know Gold Dot is ultra reliable and the shortbarrel ammo does'nt loose as much velocity.If it's any concilation,its in my wifes EDC G26.

cmb

something with "more poop", what a typo! I hope!

Anyway, the 124 grain bullets seem to have a good reputation from what I'ver read and the plus to plus "P" forgive the pun is you get a lot more "poop" (sorry couldn't resist! ). It seems expansion increases with the speed of the bullet and so +poop and even +poop+ give up to a few hundred more feet p/second...

As for the steel cases... usually only cheaper or surplus ammo is steel I have not seen any big brand hp defensive amoo in steel cases and the only thing I shoot steel cases in is my SKS...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    SamRudolph,

Sam, you're probably right about the Hornady ammo I have. The cases are steel colored, so I just assumed they are steel. They could easily be nickel plated brass. It doesn't say anywhere on the box, so I guess I go check out their web site. Based on what everybody has said, I suppose I don't really have to worry too much about busting or dulling my extractor.

Thanks everybody for your responses.
    Nickel cases are actually more desirable for self-defense ammo, the increased lubricity over brass aids marginally in feeding. Hornaday TAP is perfectly fine, but some of the rounds suggested in this thread have longer track records... the biggest reason to buy the Gold Dot, HST, or Ranger-T ammo, besides the track record, is that they're available in 50 round boxes online for the same prices as the 20 round boxes.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links