Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Clothed wetpack, iirc. Here's another link to a test where the rounds failed to expand. This is by one of the leading experts in this ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

Clothed wetpack, iirc.

Here's another link to a test where the rounds failed to expand. This is by one of the leading experts in this field, so...don't go further if it'll shake your faith in HCD.

Seriously--if your so enamored by the HCD, by all means, carry it...but don't try to claim it's something it's not (guaranteed to expand, for example. Or a good carry round, for that matter...)
    Last edited by Cuda66; September 6th, 2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: added link.
    JD likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

2. Remove Ads

I somehow managed to miss the problems shooters were having w/ Critical Defense ammo, but had read a lot of encouraging info. I bought a box of 185 gr CHD for my 1911's. I shot one mag each in my 4 1/4" American Classic Commander and my 3.5" Citadel Concealed Carry. I wasn't pleased w/the results. Neither gun shot as accurately w/ HCD compared to 185 gr Golden Saber. I also had 1-2 failure to feed (stuck on feed ramp) w/ each gun. Anyone want a partial box of HCD? For now, I'll stay w/ the GS.

thats odd i shot 50 rounds of HCD today through my .380 not one issue for me and VERY accurate ammo...
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Because they are lighter-weight, they travel faster and since they expand rather quickly, all that
    fast travel energy is suddenly transfered into your target, stopping it quicker. Hard ball will go "RIGHT THROUGH THEM".
    Ball ammo will also go right through the door of a car and lodge in the other door...or through the front fender of a Tourino,
    inner fender well, firewall and knock out the ashtray, lodging in the passenger door...good luck stopping someone with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Because they are lighter-weight, they travel faster and since they expand rather quickly, all that
    fast travel energy is suddenly transfered into your target, stopping it quicker. Hard ball will go "RIGHT THROUGH THEM".
    Ball ammo will also go right through the door of a car and lodge in the other door...or through the front fender of a Tourino,
    inner fender well, firewall and knock out the ashtray, lodging in the passenger door...good luck stopping someone with it.
    Energy transfer means basically nothing when it comes to firearm effectiveness in getting things that want to hurt you to stop. If it did, then a fast-stepping .220 Swift would be an excellent choice to hunt dangerous game over a big bore shooting solids, as the solids will pass right through, but the .220S will expend all of it's energy on the target. However, you may have difficulty convincing professional guides of this theory...

Ball will stop somebody just hunky dory if you hit the right stiff, like major blood bearing vessels & organs, or CNS...which lie deep in the body. HCD, however, being a lightweight, fast expanding round will tend not to penetrate deeply enough to get to these organs and sundry goodies...which could very well be a problem.

PS--.45 ball did just fine stoppin' folks in France, Nicaragua, North Africa, Italy, numerous islands and atolls all over the Pacific, France again, Germany, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Iraq again, Afghanistan...and pretty much everywhere in between. A QUALITY JHP will tend to do a better job, of course...but I don't consider Critical Defense a quality JHP. More of a gimmick round with a slick advertising campaign.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Thank you so much for the good laugh this evening. It's amazing the BS that passes for fact on the Internet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links