Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been curious about this for awhile and since I'm in the market for a good JHP for my 1911, I figured I'd pick up ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP

I've been curious about this for awhile and since I'm in the market for a good JHP for my 1911, I figured I'd pick up a box and see what happens. I know that a lot of people have complained of hard primers, but I had NO issues. It fed great in my High Standard Crusader, and expanded beautifully when shot into water jugs. It penetrated three jugs, about 16 inches, leaving a solid dent at the back of the third jug. All in all, I'm satisfied with it. After all the hype about hard primers, I had some doubts about it, but it turned out great!

I've also thought of picking up some of this and trying it in my Ruger P90.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I thought about trying some of that, but I'm pretty happy with Golden Sabers in my 1911s. The FMJ-style bullet helps with feeding.

VIP Member
    I tried it in My Keltec .380 Keltec 9mm. XD-9mm. .38, .357 and .45 it never failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    I tried it in My Keltec .380 Keltec 9mm. XD-9mm. .38, .357 and .45 it never failed.
    Yeah, I think the issues were with the silver primers. The gold primers are the new batches and work great. I even went and bought another magazine for my 1911 today so I can start carrying it more.

If you're happy with them, good for you.

Me, I'd rather carry ball than Critical Defense.

Give me a 230gr Ranger-T any day...and usually for cheaper than what HCD runs.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If you're happy with them, good for you.

Me, I'd rather carry ball than Critical Defense.

Give me a 230gr Ranger-T any day...and usually for cheaper than what HCD runs.
    I found them on sale for the same price as ball ammo. I don't pay full price for ANY ammo other than 9mm Blazers, since they're only $10 a box. Besides, I get a decent discount at my LGS anyway.

I've never tried Rangers. I use Gold Dots in my 9mm and .40, since it's what my LGS stocks. Have you done any home testing with them?

Rangers-T's? I've put a couple hundred rounds through my pistols to test out functionality...but beyond that, no, I haven't done any backyard waterjug shoots with them; no need to. They've been thoroughly tested by independent experts and shown to expand reliably after light barrier penetration, and still penetrate at least 12" in gel (not water...iirc, one needs to multiply penetration depth in water by .6 to get what the round would have done in properly calibrated gel). That's a more stringent test than I can do, and is good enough for me.

You'd be better off with the Gold Dots.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I like the HCD, and carry them. Here are a .45 and a 9mm I shot this past weekend. Both were shot at 5yds, out of a Glock30 and Glock19 in to milk jugs filled with water. The .45 went through 3 jugs and was in the 4th, the 9mm was found in the 3rd jug. .45 max size was .82 and the 9mm .60
    02PSD4ME

Yes awesome looking rounds.
    Also awesomely expensive, especially if you want to shoot a couple hundred rounds to make sure they work with each magazine you own.
    In 1973 I bought my first gun, a Colt Combat Commander, and I asked The Old Codger behind the gun counter what would be the best ammo for self defense.
    He wrinkled his nose, said Son you're shooting a .45 anything you get will do just fine and handed me a box of GI ball.

The premium SD ammo sure is pretty but I think I'll stick to the plain vanilla flavored stuff that doesn't break me. It's not like you're trying to get the most oomph out of a 32ACP or something.

I use Hornady CD in .357 with my SP101...no problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I may get some if I have a run-in with killer water jugs. But for more complicated organisms I'll stick with ball or Golden Sabers, or any other conventional bullet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I haven't tried them because the main reason I shoot .45acp is I want the heaviest bullet I can get, the HCD's are only 185gr no? I do shoot Hornady though, but the TAP FPD +P (230gr). They run great in my 1911.

I do feel the Hornady Critical Defense is a great round for smaller calibers, it is the only bullet in .380 I have seen not fail to expand at some point in testing.

As long as you like em, go for it. How is the recoil?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's been a while since I dug a .45 slug out of a body to see how well it really worked, so for now I'll just have to trust all that expensive marketing jive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I haven't tried them because the main reason I shoot .45acp is I want the heaviest bullet I can get, the HCD's are only 185gr no? I do shoot Hornady though, but the TAP FPD +P (230gr). They run great in my 1911.

I do feel the Hornady Critical Defense is a great round for smaller calibers, it is the only bullet in .380 I have seen not fail to expand at some point in testing.

As long as you like em, go for it. How is the recoil?
    Yeah, the ones I have are 185gr. Recoil was pretty good. To me it felt a little better than 230gr ball, which isn't bad in the first place. I'm not recoil sensitive either, though so YMMV.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links