"Cheap" SD rounds v. "Expensive" Deisgner rounds?

This is a discussion on "Cheap" SD rounds v. "Expensive" Deisgner rounds? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These guys get new stuff in all the time. It's reasonably fresh, always priced right, & they usually ship the same day you order. SGAmmo.com ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: "Cheap" SD rounds v. "Expensive" Deisgner rounds?

These guys get new stuff in all the time. It's reasonably fresh, always priced right, & they usually ship the same day you order.

SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma

Awesome tip I just checked out thier website, they will be getting my next ammo order.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    One thing that you have to look at also is the quality of the entire manufacturing process. I bought some JHP rounds at an excellent price. When I started loading my magazines, some slipped right in while others were a tight fit. At the range, I had so many failures to feed that I finally switched to another gun and another brand of ammo.

When I got home and checked the bargain ammo, the nose of the bullets with the hollow point serrations felt rough compared to the Speer Gold Dots that I normally use. The tolerances on the bargain stuff were off just enough to cause some of the rounds to bind against the front of the magazine and fail to feed into the gun. That's not something that I want if rock ever meets hard place and I'm in the middle. So, it was back to the Gold Dots for me.
    Interesting point. I'm a wheel guy so the failures to feed are not an issue. Your point, however, seems more important than terminal ballistics and flash - if the variances are such that failures occur, you definitely can't rely on it for SD.

Reviewing the other replies - I'm not taking issue with more expensive SD ammo, nor am I trying to save $8.00 on a life-n-death situation - just curious as to all the factors that set the premium apart. In retrospect it seems pretty straightforward.... When I started out I just bought what everyone recommended... but if I'm going to be a gun toting lemming, I want to be an informed one.....

Thanks
    PEF

I just ordered some 9mm Ranger T in 147gr HP for SD and FMJ for practice, and I also ordered some Federal 38 Special +P 158 gr LSWCHP. The prices on this site are AWESOME! I don't know about the service yet since I just ordered this afternoon. This was a company I learned about through DC, so thanks to all who have recommended them!
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Use lswc. They are cheap and work just as well. Got off the designer bullet hype a long time ago.
    Magnum likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Use lswc. They are cheap and work just as well. Got off the designer bullet hype a long time ago.
    Do you like the lswc variety with or without the hollow point, or does it matter to you? Also, what flavor of 9mm ammo do you like? Thanks!

When I carried a .38spl I carried Federal 158gr LSWC-HP. The price is reasonable, the manufacturer is reputable, and the design is proven. I tested it in my gun and the gun liked it. I put it through t-shirts and all kinds of clothes in to water jugs. The performance was consistent and sufficient.

Remember any hp should be tested by you. I've heard a lot of guys complain that the Winchester PDX-1 round doesn't expand in snub nose .38spls. I've known other guys that carried Fiochi hps and said they worked as advertised with no issues. I think if I went with a cheaper hp I would need to run at least 100 rounds to insure that it was compatible with my gun. I would also need to test at least a dozen to makes sure I was comfortable with their expansion after passing through clothing.

Skeeter64, It doesn't make much difference in 38spl. Lswc or lswchp, in 158 are both great and time proven loads. They work great and with consistancy no matter the medium or obstacle such as bone, or fatty pockets without depending on variables like velocity, which in turn determines proper expansion, ect.

For the 9mm, I like 147 weights, but also a HP design. Since my nine is a glock, and lead bullets require a gas check to safely fire in the barrel, I use 147 weight Rem Golden Sabers.

Nothing wrong with the designer loads per se, they are just not necassary in many applications to justify the much greater cost.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Designer loads I take seriously are from Buffalo Bore.
    Just look at what they are doing with the wadcutters in almost every revolver caliber, take an "old" load and make it "new".

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    These guys get new stuff in all the time. It's reasonably fresh, always priced right, & they usually ship the same day you order.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Awesome tip I just checked out thier website, they will be getting my next ammo order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post

I just ordered some 9mm Ranger T in 147gr HP for SD and FMJ for practice, and I also ordered some Federal 38 Special +P 158 gr LSWCHP. The prices on this site are AWESOME! I don't know about the service yet since I just ordered this afternoon. This was a company I learned about through DC, so thanks to all who have recommended them!
    Those are the same 9mm rounds (SD & range) that I'm using for my EDC, Skeeter.

I think you'll both be pleased. Sam & LaLa have done right by me for the last year, & I plan on going back real soon!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Thanks to Glockman10mm and ArkhmAsylm for the feedback! I will try the lswc 38 the next time I order some ammo.

I liked Winchester PDX1 since the FBI endorsed it but when I realized the Winchester Ranger T-Series Bonded was the same thing for half the price I learned to like it a whole lot more...

I would say not to compromise your safety with cheap garbage, but there is nothing wrong with Winchester White Box JHP for SD either... Go with a known ammo and you should be ok. Personally, I am a little bit of a snob about my ammo, but that is my preference, not a global standard...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links