9mm .40cal .45acp

This is a discussion on 9mm .40cal .45acp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No disrespect guys I am not including the .45gap or .357sig, .38spl, 10mm, .380 in this discussion or some of the smaller calibers. I believe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm .40cal .45acp

9mm .40cal .45acp

No disrespect guys I am not including the .45gap or .357sig, .38spl, 10mm, .380 in this discussion or some of the smaller calibers.

I believe that all bullets are lethal but some more than others however, if you are going to carry the golden standard for pistols is minimum 9mm for revolvers .38spl

I like to hear all opinions but please keep it real. I really want those of you who have had to fire on people PM me of course if you would like to share your experince with the caliber of your choice or your department and why you would rather carry a different caliber.

So here goes. 9mm, .40cal, .45acp why do you choose that caliber for your personal protection? If you are duty bound to carry a certain caliber then if you can what do you carry off duty.

I am asking this because I have not had a problem with the 9mm, bullet was the Federal 115gr +P+ I now carry Winchestar 127gr +P+ I have wondered if I had a larger caliber would they have stopped sooner even with proper shot placement?
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

2. Remove Ads

If it is 9mm+p / 38+p or greater I am comfortable with carrying it.

Typically I am carrying Winchester Ranger T-Series Bonded 180gr 40 cal
    (you wanted to stick to 3 calibers so I will not discuss the 357 magnum carried daily or the 357 sig carried in place of the 40 at times)

I will not hesitate to carry in the heaviest grain weight available for 9, 40 or 45. As many threads here have stated, shot placement does count. Under stress a master marksman will become great, great becomes good, good becomes mediocre, mediocre becomes bad & bad just plain stinks... What does this translate to? Shot placement will become impacted even in the best of us under stress.

9, 40, 45... any of these will serve you well IN MY OPINION.
    oneshot likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I'll shoot/carry a 9mm, but it's the min. standard for me.

I love the .45, it's a proven round.

I went with my current carry-round, .40, after A good friend of mine (LEO) was involved in a shooting. It was pretty personal for him but he trusts the .40 implicitly. I liked his G23 (G22 is his duty sidearm) so I got a couple of G23's for myself.

I've been following the .40 since it was called the 10mm FedLite and the S&W 4006 was the only sidearm chambered for it. Overall, all three calibers will do if I need 'em too. Don't get too caught up into the 'caliber-war'.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Duty carry: Sig 229 40 cal 180 grain
    My EDC: 9mm right now I am using pow r ball normally I use the 124 grain regular are +p.

With proper placement and a good heavywieght JHP, they'll all do.

.45 does tend to get a bit more expansion than .40 and 9mm, so I'd have to give it the nod for having the edge, though a slight one.

ETA--I usually carry either a .45 or a 9mm. Loads are 230gr and 147, respectively, in either HST, PDX-1, Ranger-T, or Gold Dot...whichever one my local shops currently have on hand.
    Last edited by Cuda66; August 11th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    When I give my .357 a day off I go with a G23 stoked with Ranger T Series as my first choice.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Cattus Vir View Post
    Duty carry: Sig 229 40 cal 180 grain
    My EDC: 9mm right now I am using pow r ball normally I use the 124 grain regular are +p.
    The Pow R Ball Hmm very light for the 9mm now I am not going to stand in front of it but does it have a street rep? I can see it working well in hot weathered states.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    With proper placement and a good heavywieght JHP, they'll all do.

.45 does tend to get a bit more expansion than .40 and 9mm, so I'd have to give it the nod for having the edge, though a slight one.
    A heavy 9mm. The only one that I no of that had a good rep was the old standard pressure 147gr Black Talon other than that I have not heard personally anything good on 147gr 9mm shootings. The best results have been with 115-127gr.

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    A heavy 9mm. The only one that I no of that had a good rep was the old standard pressure 147gr Black Talon other than that I have not heard personally anything good on 147gr 9mm shootings. The best results have been with 115-127gr.
    That was over a decade ago.

The modern design 147's are excellent performers...some outexpanding and outpenetrating similar .40 loads.

115's tend to underpenetrate, unless it's a monometal like the Barnes.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I haven't had to use any of my weapons as weapons yet. And I hope it stays that way.

But, I carry either a 200(Fiocchi)-230gr(PMC Starfire) JHP in my .45. Both rounds have good performance reviews- I've seen pictures of how both mushroom, and am confident in their performance.

In my .357, I carry 130gr Federal Premium Hydra-Shok JHPs. They also have good penetration, and mushrooming.
    ----------------------------
    Your OP didn't say much about revolvers, but, thought I would throw it in just because.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I myself have had problems with the 9mm, I will not own one again. At present I carry a 40 with 165grainers or my 45 with 200 grain hp and for years I have carried .380 for backup. I tried 3 different 9s and had them failed to do the job but please remember that I am old and my first service weapon was a model 19 S&W combat magnum and I also had a 41mag which I really loved. As I got older I watched the 40s show there stuff but I never forgot my 1911 from the 50 and 60s. I am over 70 now and I want the big bore and big bang and then I know my .380 backup can put the finishing touches if need be. Maybe if back when the ammo would have been as good as it is now but I am not a person that would use a 9 or defend my family with and could be that is why so many depts including the the feds got away from it and moved up

And thats my nickels worth
    Nmuskier likes this.

The best results have been with 115-127gr.
    Based on...?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The Pow R Ball Hmm very light for the 9mm now I am not going to stand in front of it but does it have a street rep? I can see it working well in hot weathered states.
    Yes it's a light load for sure but I just happened across a couple boxes for $9 each as a deal from my LGS. Used one box at the range and was satisfied with accuracy. I have a couple of months left before I get new carry ammo, annual change for me, then I'll go to a 124p/+p load again.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    I myself have had problems with the 9mm, I will not own one again. At present I carry a 40 with 165grainers or my 45 with 200 grain hp and for years I have carried .380 for backup. I tried 3 different 9s and had them failed to do the job but please remember that I am old and my first service weapon was a model 19 S&W combat magnum and I also had a 41mag which I really loved. As I got older I watched the 40s show there stuff but I never forgot my 1911 from the 50 and 60s. I am over 70 now and I want the big bore and big bang and then I know my .380 backup can put the finishing touches if need be. Maybe if back when the ammo would have been as good as it is now but I am not a person that would use a 9 or defend my family with and could be that is why so many depts including the the feds got away from it and moved up

And thats my nickels worth

I appreciate your input. I feel that if LEO's would train and practice more they would be more proficient with their marksmanship and tactics. Most only fire a weapon a week to a couple of days till in service training where one of things is to qualify. Shooting must be done as offend as possible it is a skill that you will lose. You may get on a bike and ride it after 30yrs however, try to go one full year without any trigger time. A LEO should be able to shoot a qualifying score if I where to stop him or her have them call out of service and take them to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I haven't had to use any of my weapons as weapons yet. And I hope it stays that way.

But, I carry either a 200(Fiocchi)-230gr(PMC Starfire) JHP in my .45. Both rounds have good performance reviews- I've seen pictures of how both mushroom, and am confident in their performance.

In my .357, I carry 130gr Federal Premium Hydra-Shok JHPs. They also have good penetration, and mushrooming.

Your OP didn't say much about revolvers, but, thought I would throw it in just because.
    I hope you never have to use your weapons also but remember this. You must hit what you are shooting at in order to solve your immediate problem. Not hitting what your shoot at puts innocent people at risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links