Stopping Power

Stopping Power

This is a discussion on Stopping Power within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting caliber / stopping power discussion from the Buckeye Firearms Association. An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power...

Thread: Stopping Power

VIP Member

Stopping Power

Interesting caliber / stopping power discussion from the Buckeye Firearms Association.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I wouldn't follow that at all, every situation is different.
    Interesting though.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Very interesting article and research. Nonetheless, I don't think I will trust my life to a caliber lower than .38 special or .380 ACP no matter what the author of this research may claim. Hell, I'm even saving to switch all my carry pistols to .45 ACP so that I an have the most stopping power I can. When it comes to my life, I want to have the biggest bullet and the strongest punch. I would never be caught dead carrying a handgun in .22LR, .25 ACP or .32 Auto.

The only data that gave me a "feel good feeling" were the results on the shotgun. WOW! Now I'm even more happy to have my Mossberg ready for home defense if needed.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    some of the smaller calibers I'm given to think that the shooting distance was close to contact allowing for the on paper very good accuracy.

i carry a 32 H&R and 32 acp and a 351-pd 22mag.
    but i hit moving targets with ease.

bringing a student along in training eventually we find their comfort zone--eye along with front sight, snap shot an apple bobbing on a string at 15 feet with a 9mm.
    this is a good zone to be in. situations were a gun is to come into play are likely to be fluid rather than static.
    placement trumps caliber but if the larger your zone, the larger calibers will serve you better.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The author put a huge amount of work into that, and it shows - almost 1800 shooting cases examined, plus who knows how many more thrown out by his discrimination criteria.

Draw your own conclusions, people! You could argue that a 22 is enough gun because it required the fewest number of rounds to incapacitate the target, or that the .44 Mag is 'best' because it had the highest rate of one-shot stops. Overall, I think the data pretty much tell us what we already knew, and I'd be surprised if that information prompted anyone already carrying a 'standard' defensive caliber to change to a different one.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    This has been floating around for a while now, and IMO his categories are a little ambiguous to some degree. I think the most telling statistic is the more straight forward percent of people NOT incapacitated no matter how many shots struck them (this is what we all fear right?). You will notice that the .22, .25, and .32 calibers don't stop the bad guy 30-40% of the time no matter how many shots. Once you get up to the .355 caliber you see that stat drop to around roughly 13-17%. I think that says it all.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I have a .25 that I rarely carry, I call it an elevator gun because at any range larger it is almost useless, that said, it will put a hurt on someone and many times just the sight of a weapon a BG will back off. Is it my first choice when I walk out the door? no, but sometimes conditions limit what you can carry and the .25 fits nicely into a pocket and can be carried when nothing else will work, and as evidenced by this guy's research it can stop a person. Regardless of caliber, shot placement is everything.
    A gun at home is useless if you need it away from home.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    will merge later.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Sponsored Links