.380 Ammo Tested: Round Two + Velocities

This is a discussion on .380 Ammo Tested: Round Two + Velocities within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, Did another round of .380 testing today, I tested: Remington Golden Saber , PMC Starfire , Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics , and one shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .380 Ammo tested: Round Two + Velocities

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

.380 Ammo tested: Round Two + Velocities

Hey guys,
    Did another round of .380 testing today, I tested: Remington Golden Saber, PMC Starfire, Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics, and one shot of Hornady Critical Defense. I also threw a Federal Premium defense 410 000 shell at it out of an 18inch barrel just to see what a 410 (yes out of a long gun not a Judge) would do.

Setup: From 10’ away I took 5 shots at four layers of denim + 10% gelatin, and 3 shots at bare 10% gelatin per the three ammo brands being tested. The block this time measured 5” X 10” X 14”. I took precautions to keep the block at the proper temp.

Notes: Directly below you will see average velocities for various 380 HP’s out of a 2.75" barrel. I got these averages by compiling chronograph results from a number of websites, including: ballisticsbytheinch.com, brassfetcher.com, goldenloki.com, firearmstactical.com, and others at mouseguns.com. I hope this is helpful, it should be the best idea of their real world speeds. Below the velocities you can click on the images to see the results of the gelatin testing. More pics are in the next posting.

Federal HydraShok - 884fps
    Speer Gold Dot - 916fps
    Hornady Critical Defense - 872fps
    Remington Golden Saber - 832fps
    Winchester PDX1 - 881fps
    Corbon DPX - 994fps
    Corbon JHP - 948fps

002.jpg009.jpg013.jpgGolden Saber.jpgStarfire.jpgFiocchi.jpg

Conclusion: If you happen to shoot a bad guy.....and he happens to be naked, and you shoot him in the gut or the ass I have high expectations of your .380 round expanding reliably. Other than that it gets pretty iffy, and they will most likely just act as a hot FMJ. Hornady CD was one exception, and I have since switched to them after carrying Speer GD's around for years in my Bersa 380. Does that mean that any of these rounds will perform in a human body exactly as they did in my nice controlled setting? Nope, but it's still fun and you can at least compare expansion between rounds. Safe shooting to you!
    Justified and LouisianaMan like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Hornady.jpg011.jpgdenim clog.jpgSaber bullet.jpgdenim and gelatin shot.jpg

Just a few more pics, including my Hornady "control", and the 410 000 shot.
    Justified likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Good report

That is a very good report.
    Picture is truly worth a 1000 words...

Thank you for posting.

thanks for the report. i was hesitant to use the golden saber before because i thought .380 JHPs won't penetrate deep enough. thanks again for taking the time and effort.

The 102gr GS is a excellent choice for defense. Not to mention that during the heat of summer you'd be hard pressed to find the BG's wearing four layers of denim.

A step up from all these loads tested would be the Buffalo Bore +p stuff in .380, provided you firearm can handle +p ammo.... I see the test pistol is the LCP which isn't recommended for +p by Ruger. Excellent firearm none the less.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Great report! Thanks.

Shoot a naked man "in the gut or the ass" PRICELESS
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

hey iam_not_lost, i find your ammo testing rally informative and i'm sure lots of folks would find it interesting and learn from it. would you mind if i share your ammo testing results with another forum? (LCP forum)

I carry an LCP but I'm thinking of switching to a PPS, ammo performance obviously being the main reason... nice tests, thanks for posting

Quote Originally Posted by TTPower View Post
    hey iam_not_lost, i find your ammo testing rally informative and i'm sure lots of folks would find it interesting and learn from it. would you mind if i share your ammo testing results with another forum? (LCP forum)
    Of course I don't mind.

I would like to try the Buffalo Bore +P ammo because I don't personally think a couple shots will harm the gun, the stuff is just so dang expensive, one of the reasons I don't shoot Corbon too often as well (I like the DPX ammo because it WILL expand, it is just so light...fat, muscle, bone ...). Anyone have any other thoughts on ammo they think is the top dog? Or that makes the .380 round significantly better? I don't need much of an excuse to go shoot something new!

One last note, if I COULD carry a gun that was bigger than my LCP 24/7 I would, I don't think the .380 is the end all of rounds, but in AZ heat it just isn't a viable option, I will admit though that I occasionally drool over the LC9 and Kahr PM9 when I am at my LGS, I like both.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report. I still sometimes wonder if the LCP enables me to be armed at all times, or if it is enabling me to think I'm armed at all times.

I have Fiocchi stock-piled, but carry Corbon DPX. I always suspected that from the recoil and report that the Corbon round is running hotter, but it's nice to see that it is cruising near to their claimed +1000 fps.

Look at the Diamondback DB9. Just a hair larger than the LCP weighs 15.7 ounces fully loaded 6+1 all in 9mm. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    ..........One last note, if I COULD carry a gun that was bigger than my LCP 24/7 I would, I don't think the .380 is the end all of rounds, but in AZ heat it just isn't a viable option, I will admit though that I occasionally drool over the LC9 and Kahr PM9 when I am at my LGS, I like both.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanks for the tests, I've started carrying a .380 bug again and these are nice data bits.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

for those who are interested to know the average velocity of different .380 cal rounds check out this link
    Mouse Guns and Gear: The Great .380 FMJ & JHP Ammo test - The Results

Good info, wish I had known about that when I got velocity numbers from all the other sites that I got them from.

Thanks for the great test. I can't see anything not "scientific" about it.

I was pleased to see the .410 buck included. I have sung it's praise, and it preformed as expected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links