Corbon 9mm JHP +P: shorter than other 9mm brands?

Corbon 9mm JHP +P: shorter than other 9mm brands?

This is a discussion on Corbon 9mm JHP +P: shorter than other 9mm brands? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today at the range, I just noticed something: every single CorBon 9mm JHP 115gr +P round I have is shorter than each of five different ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corbon 9mm JHP +P: shorter than other 9mm brands?

Question Corbon 9mm JHP +P: shorter than other 9mm brands?

Today at the range, I just noticed something: every single CorBon 9mm JHP 115gr +P round I have is shorter than each of five different brand/model of bullets I've been trying. Didn't use calipers to measure, but it's ~ 1/8th of an inch shorter than every other bullet I have. The question is: Why?? And, does this explain the results I saw on the range, today (see below)?

The reason I ask is because I had a couple dozen failures to go into battery and failures to fire, today. Most were that the slide of my Browning BDM 9mm failed to fully go into battery, hanging up during the last 1/8th of an inch prior to lock-up. Had a handful of failures to fire, as well, with light/puny firing pin "touches" on the primer case. Swapped out to a couple different models of bullets and sent several magazines' each through the gun with zero failures.

This short length is the only thing I can see that's fundamentally different from all the other brands of bullet I have. FMJ, JHP, +P's and standard-pressure, CorBon, HSM/generic, Remington range, Remington/UMC range, Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr. Nearly all are of identical length, or near enough to not be sure they're different. However, the CorBons are very definitely shorter than all of them.

Comments/suggestions? If you're a reloader or a match shooter and know what could reliably cause the results I saw today, I'd love to know more about this.

Attachment, below, shows the relative lengths of the bullets I used today.

- Michael
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. It is loaded to a shorter LOA due to the very blunt ogive. The straight sides of the bullet extend a greater distance from the base to the "shoulder" where the bullet profile begins to taper inward. If loaded to the same LOA as ball or JHP's with a more rounded shape, the bullet sides would engage the rifling.

When the Walter P88 first came out I tried one. It was tightly chambered and would work fine with any ball or JHP having a similar bullet profile, but when a Corbon 115-gr. JHP +P (or Sierra bullet handload) was chambered, the bullet would engage the rifling and prevent the slide from going fully forward and into firing position. Later runs of the P88 corrected this, but that's why the Corbon 115-gr. JHP +P can be a problematic feeder in some guns. It has to be loaded to a shorter LOA and that coupled with its very blunt nose can cause problems.

The light primer strikes possibly occurred due to the slide not being fully forward even when not obvious. I suspect that the sides of the bullet engaged the rifling and prevented the cartridge from fully seating in the chamber. Most quality semiauto pistols simply will not fire when the slide is not fully forward to prevent damage to the gun and/or shooter.

It is difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the problem, but I'll bet that this is close.

If you prefer the high-velocity approach with 115-gr. JHP's at +P velocities and the Corbon will not work, try Federal's 115-gr. JHP +P. It is a law enforcement load but can be had w/o too much difficulty. Performance mirrors that of the Corbon and the bullet is much more rounded. Frankly, I'd go with Corbon 115-gr. DPX +P in a +P load or Federal 115-gr. JHP (std pressure) for non-+P.

Best and good luck.

Best.
    Last edited by Stephen A. Camp; August 5th, 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp
    It is loaded to a shorter LOA due to the very blunt ogive. If loaded to the same LOA as ball or JHP's with a more rounded shape, the bullet sides would engage the rifling.
    Ah. Done by design.

Q: Would barrel throating/polishing help with this, in terms of allowing a finicky feeding gun to start liking a given round better?

Q: What about the steepness of the feed ramp and its impact on ability to reliably go into battery/feed? Ie, the Browning BDM 9mm has a fairly long, light-angle ramp; whereas, the KelTec P3AT 380ACP has a very steep one.

Note that I'm not necessarily set on CorBon. I'm set on what works 100% reliably well. I generally prefer the 10K-rounds-on-the-range approach to reliability, along with carry/action work on a carry piece. But this is the first time ever where I've experienced dozens of lockups with the CorBon JHP's.

1951 - 2011
    You might try polishing the ramp and see, but if the bullet is engaging the rifling deepening the leade would probably be of more help. It might be easier to simply change ammunition.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen A. Camp
    It might be easier to simply change ammunition.
    Oh, sure. Again, the issue isn't that I necessarily want to stick with CorBon. My goal, here, is to understand what is going on and why. Ultimately, if I can easily get past the issue, this ammo might stay in test mode; otherwise, it's tossed and some other rounds will be considered.

Thanks for the info.

1951 - 2011
    Hello, sir. You are most welcome.

Best and good luck.

Found exactly the same thing with the CorBon Pow'r Ball, as I described on a recent range report for a CZ P-01 compact 9mm. Very short. 100% jams. Unusable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Found exactly the same thing with the CorBon Pow'r Ball, as I described on a recent range report for a CZ P-01 compact 9mm. Very short. 100% jams. Unusable.
    I suppose it depends on the pistol, I'vs not had a problem with them.

The Black Hills 115+P 9mm with Speer Gold Dots were basically the same length then, I noticed they were about 1/8" of an inch shorter than the Speer 124 +ps I had. They used the same bullet obviously, but the 115 itself is a little shorter, but it still looked odd to me. Seem to load and shoot fairly well in my Ruger, but I think I'd rather have the longer cartridge, I'd think they'd be more reliable. Who knows. Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

All I use is Cor-Bon JHP ammo never had a feed problem...I've ran a few boxes of 115gr in my XDSC9mm and 92FS, no problems.

The other difference is that CorBon runs hotter than any of the ammo that you're firing. Maybe check your grip. Just my 2 cents.

Can't say anything about there Pwr Ball, I've never used those.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    The other difference is that CorBon runs hotter than any of the ammo that you're firing. Maybe check your grip.
    No CorBon in 9mm runs hotter than the DoubleTap 115gr, 124gr and 147gr ammo I used last weekend, and several boxes of those ran flawlessly in a gun that had 100% jamming on the Pow'r Ball. Yes, CorBons are hotter than most, but the major difference I've found between nearly a dozen different make/model of bullets attempted on the CZ P-01 has been the overall length. I wish it had something to do with grip or me, but that isn't the case. Too bad, since the CorBons sure are a great option for guns that like them.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 29th, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

oh didn't know you were running dt's through too...just looked at the pic you posted. So you're having problems with both the CZ and your Browning? Have you tried the DPX line?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In my experiance some pistols dont care for cor-bon fodder , tho i have seen a mag change make a non feeder a feeder , something slightly diff on feed lips of mag i suppose , cor bon is frankly not avalable enough to me in my home area for me to worry about it , and both my kahrs will eat it anyway since i had some traded to me with the kahrs and have tested that out . I have seen appairently identical guns side by side tho where one will eat it and one wont . I would honestly say its good ammo but like any other ammo if your pistol dont like it , then dont use it .. there is enough good ammo out there that we really dont need to tune a gun to a load unless its dept mandated or some such .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    oh didn't know you were running dt's through too...just looked at the pic you posted. So you're having problems with both the CZ and your Browning? Have you tried the DPX line?
    No CorBon bullet seems to like either the CZ P-01 or Browning BDM I have. JHP, Pow'r Ball, DPX. Yet they are almost perfect with the Federal HST 124gr +P+, and both just loved the DoubleTap 115/124/147gr +P flavors. I'm pretty much set on one or the other of these as primary carry. Have been doing the Federal HST but am considering the DT. Would love to consider the CorBon anything, but they're off the list. Can't work in these two guns. That's fine, since there are good alternatives.

Ran the DT's through last weekend: Range Report.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ... like any other ammo if your pistol dont like it , then dont use it .. there is enough good ammo out there that we really dont need to tune a gun to a load unless its dept mandated or some such .
    No mandate, here (not LEO), other than 100% feed/eject reliability. The Federal HST and DoubleTap both seem to have this, at least with these two pistols.

Will soon send a final 250-300 of these through my Kahr PM9 backup, as well, and if it won't work well with those then it's getting sold in favor of an alternative backup/pocket gun.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 29th, 2006 at 12:53 AM.

Can you please get me the lot # from the PowRball that you had the problems with? We haven't heard of this before with any of the PowRball loads. They were designed to feed like hardball.

Mike Shovel
    Sales Manager
    COR-BON/Glaser
    Mike@CORBON.com
    412-496-0428

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Today at the range, I just noticed something: every single CorBon 9mm JHP 115gr +P round I have is shorter than each of five different brand/model of bullets I've been trying. Didn't use calipers to measure, but it's ~ 1/8th of an inch shorter than every other bullet I have. The question is: Why?? And, does this explain the results I saw on the range, today (see below)?

The reason I ask is because I had a couple dozen failures to go into battery and failures to fire, today. Most were that the slide of my Browning BDM 9mm failed to fully go into battery, hanging up during the last 1/8th of an inch prior to lock-up. Had a handful of failures to fire, as well, with light/puny firing pin "touches" on the primer case. Swapped out to a couple different models of bullets and sent several magazines' each through the gun with zero failures.

This short length is the only thing I can see that's fundamentally different from all the other brands of bullet I have. FMJ, JHP, +P's and standard-pressure, CorBon, HSM/generic, Remington range, Remington/UMC range, Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr. Nearly all are of identical length, or near enough to not be sure they're different. However, the CorBons are very definitely shorter than all of them.

Comments/suggestions? If you're a reloader or a match shooter and know what could reliably cause the results I saw today, I'd love to know more about this.

Attachment, below, shows the relative lengths of the bullets I used today.

- Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links