Cor-Bon for G19 and CM9

This is a discussion on Cor-Bon for G19 and CM9 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Broke in the CM9 this weekend (200 rounds). Cleaned/oiled then today tested 50 rounds of target ammo then 20 rounds of Cor-Bon 115 gr +P ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shockwave

Thread: Cor-Bon for G19 and CM9

Cor-Bon for G19 and CM9

Broke in the CM9 this weekend (200 rounds). Cleaned/oiled then today tested 50 rounds of target ammo then 20 rounds of Cor-Bon 115 gr +P JHP, no issues. Same Cor-Bon round is in my G19, also no issues after about 30 rounds.

I know I should test a lot more than 20-30 rounds but in the meantime has anyone had any experience/issues with this exact Cor-Bon round in these exact guns?

Thank you.

btw the Kahr handled the +P very well, not as easily as the Glock (obviously) but very controllable.

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a CM9, but the only JHP rounds I've ever had issues with (stovepipes) in my Kahr PM9 was Cor-Bon. I use Speer Gold Dots in my PM9.

stovepipes?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    My PM9 did not see any problems with the Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P DPX, but I also didn't shoot much of it through that particular handgun, as I'd already made the decision to drop it as a potential SD/HD round (since it both produced more muzzle blast than the others I'd tried, in the same pistols, and also since it failed to feed reliably with my Ruger SR9c). I still had a few boxes of it around, and decided to give it a try, just to see.

That said, as with tokerblue, I've also found my PM9 to be just a little on the picky side. For whatever reason, it doesn't feed Federal HSTs (my preference is for the 147 gr. variant) as smoothly as other hollow-points. Although it never actually failed to feed in the hundreds of rounds that I've fed it during my self-proving sessions, it's always "hung" just a bit after I've released the slide on the first round in. Given this reason, I've instead chosen to feed it the Speer 147 gr. GDHP.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Although it never actually failed to feed in the hundreds of rounds that I've fed it during my self-proving sessions, it's always "hung" just a bit after I've released the slide on the first round in.
    Do you release with the slide with the slide stop or by pulling back the slide? The Kahr won't insert a round softly like a Glock so best to always use the slide stop.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    ah ha

fired maybe a hundred rounds of the Corbon 115 gr 9mm +P ammo over the years (expensive) out of my G19's....what a rush!! Never had an issue, but did wake up the folks at the range that were napping at the time. That Corbon 115 gr +P moves out at around 1350 fps and if you are a "light and fast" ballistics guy, then its definitely the round for you. I personally carry 147 gr standard pressure ammo in my G19 now because the heavier bullet tends to penetrate better....but I would not feel undergunned in the least with the 115 gr +P rounds in my G19.

My CM9 carries 147 gr standard pressure rounds as well. Have not had the kahunas to try anything more potent in such a small gun.

....then I got the G32 .357 SIG and fired the Corbon 125 gr moving at 1450 fps. Maybe a little louder than the 9 +P, but not much....ear protection sometimes takes all the fun out of shooting.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Only one time I ever had a hiccup was shooting the Corbon +P from my SR9c first shot. After that, totally reliable. The Corbon has been flawless through all my guns (.357 .38sp, 9mm) and I think that when the gun (9mm) was used to regular target ammo it just wasn't ready for the +P.

This is why you test you carry ammo. It's expensive, but you have to do it anyway.
    Cuda66 likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macg19 View Post
    Do you release with the slide with the slide stop or by pulling back the slide? The Kahr won't insert a round softly like a Glock so best to always use the slide stop.
    I favor the "powerstroke" rip (thumb towards body, overhand stroke).

For my particular PM9, for my chosen ammo, it doesn't seem to matter if it's done that way or, per the manual, using the slide-stop/release.

I train for and towards consistency, and the overhand "powerstroke" is pretty much my go-to for everything from reloads to malfunctions, so when I got my PM9, that was one of the first things that I tested, to be sure that it was still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Only one time I ever had a hiccup was shooting the Corbon +P from my SR9c first shot. After that, totally reliable.....

This is why you test you carry ammo. It's expensive, but you have to do it anyway.
    ^ Exactly.

I try to run through 100 rounds of SD/HD ammo, quickly. After that, I'm comfortable with the pistol in the SD/HD role - but from there, I start methodically towards my goal of 500. I realize that's excessive, and that it costs a lot, but it gives me peace-of-mind to know that I've "proven" my own pistol, using my chosen ammo.

[ As a side note, for whatever reason, the Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P DPX just doesn't work in my SR9c. I have no real idea as to why. And it's definitely not a magazine-related issue: I have 5 full-sized and 3 short/flush mags for that particular gun...it's consistent throughout. Just a quirk of my particular SR9c, I'm guessing, as I've not heard of similar issues on either of the Ruger Forums. ]

good point

I use Speer Gold Dots in my PM9.

I tried a variety of 9mm carry loads and finally settled on 115 gr. standard pressure Gold Dot because it seemed to feed well in all the pistols I shot it in and had very mild recoil, very much like cheap practice ammunition. I also liked the way the round expanded in a test I saw on YouTube.
    It also makes for a controllable, easy to shoot load in pistol's like my wife's PF9. Very little muzzle flash compared to some rounds.
    Believe it or not, GD 115 even cycles in my Walther P1. I don't really care for the +P stuff I've tried. Trying to shoot accurately to save one's life is hard enough without the extra blast and recoil.

Links