Squibs, anybody ever experience one? - Page 2

Squibs, anybody ever experience one?

This is a discussion on Squibs, anybody ever experience one? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had one and luckily I recognized it from both the lack of recoil, or sound. It happen while I was checking out a friends ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've had one and luckily I recognized it from both the lack of recoil, or sound. It happen while I was checking out a friends CZ 9mm on his property, so it was pretty easy to notice, not to mention it was so weak it didn't even have enough energy to operate the slide and strip off another round. It must have been one of the weakest squib loads ever, I was able to use a pencil to back it outa the barrel and fire off a few more rounds. I do recall being nervous while using ammo from the same ammo case, but that was all he had. No double taps that day.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

cmb
    I have had two both with the same ammo from the same box, it was wolf 380, which I have quit using in handguns, The first I had sound different and you could literally see ti exit the barrell and go under my target at about 10 yds, the gun cycled, there was some unburned powder... I stopped, cleared and checked the gun and the ammo... no probs... resumed target practice and heard it again but this time saw nothing, 1/2 way down barrell, there was a bullet and this time there was powder all over the gun, I beleive it cycled that time too. i quickly cleared the gun, field stripped it pushed the bullet back out and cleaned the gun... I got rid of all that ammo, got some more and had no problems... still have the bullet which got stuck...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have had it happen, and yes it did cycle the slide and chamber a new round. Thankfully for me, the bullet went only a short way down the barrel and the next round did not go into battery, so it wouldn't fire. But it's always a concern.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    When playing around with lower velocity .45 acp loads I found that the action would fail to cycle before any type of squib. Chances are a squib load will cause the action not to cycle on a semi auto pistol..... Not saying it couldn't ever happen....just too many different designs and cartridges.

Chances are the kabooms caused by squibs are due to the shooter cycling the action thinking it is a fail to fire.

I have checked the bore before when the report sounded weak and I didn't see where the shot hit on paper, but I haven't personally had a squib yet.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Fortunately not during rapid fire. I have had a couple that gave me an immediate feeling of " That's not right." That is why I keep a couple of brass rods in the bottom of my range box.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yeah, I'm confident I'd catch it with slow fire. It's rapid I'm worried about. I almost feel like every single time I do double or triple taps I have to think to myself... could one of these be a squib? Will the slide cycle if it is a squib? Can I fight my urge to tap, rack, bang if the slide doesn't cycle?

Do you guys constantly think about it? I can't be the only one who messes around with double taps, or "rapid fire". Does the thought of squibs give you an uneasy feeling?

Well, have one for you . I had one where I was shooting, and I hear this weird sound and look at the gun. The slide is NOT even fully closed, the cartridge is only half into the chamber, and the casing is split out on the side.... where the pressure blew out the side when the primer was hit on a bullet that was not fully loaded and a slide that was not fully closed nor locked.

Gunsmiths said that was impossible, until they saw it and didn't know what to do. So it went to Ruger. Ruger, said that was impossible too. After receiving the pictures, they let me know they wanted the gun shipped to them. After examing the gun, they said they didn't know how it happened either.

But, it did.

The hammer released and hit the primer, shooting off a bullet that was not chambered, and when the slide was not closed and locked.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Yeah, I'm confident I'd catch it with slow fire. It's rapid I'm worried about. I almost feel like every single time I do double or triple taps I have to think to myself... could one of these be a squib? Will the slide cycle if it is a squib? Can I fight my urge to tap, rack, bang if the slide doesn't cycle?

Do you guys constantly think about it? I can't be the only one who messes around with double taps, or "rapid fire". Does the thought of squibs give you an uneasy feeling?
    No I don't think about it. I won't fight the tap, rack, bang habit. If it happens , it happens. I brought up the topic a long time ago with a thread called "tap rack kaboom!". A lot of people chimed in and had some darn good points to share.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've shot a lot and over the years have had the odd squib load. Mostly, they have been factory loads but this one from a few resulted from an effort to handload copper plated bullets too light. I was intending to load a mild plinking load that wouldn't be stressful to my old 1899 vintage Webley Mark IV .455. A sickly report found the bullet sticking out the end of the barrel. "Almost, but not quite nearly" made it. I had to increase the powder charge a bit.

It was great for a laugh and a photo but squibs are decidedly not funny if they damage barrels like HotGun's.

Most squibs I've experiences have been with some sort of really old, ill-stored factory ammo. Last year I purposely tested this ugly old pre-WWII .38 Special ammo over the chronograph to check velocities. I was using a target stapled up on the 100 yard backstop as an aiming reference. One of these rounds gave a weird, relatively lengthy "SPHTHHHHHT" and the bullet was flung down range to strike the ground about 50 yards out. It looked more like it'd been fired out of a sling shot than from a revolver. The chronograph gave a "no-read." The other bullet fired were going the distance.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Boom!

My one and only came with my Mini 14. Mine had zero recoil, treated it like a misfire. I cleared the round, saw brass and reloaded, should have looked for the bullet. Next round cleared them both out of the barrel. Shrapnel came back and set off like 4 rounds in the magazine, broke the stock. Gunsmith got it open, glued the stock, had to go back one more time for a spare piece of brass still roaming. I had the gun for about 10 more years with zero problems. A really scary experiment I don't care to repeat!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I guess this counts:

Duck hunting in the rain with my reloaded 12 ga shells. Sat up and fired at a duck passing overhead. Gun sorta went pafooot and shot fell at my feet. Not much in the recoil department either, which was good because I could cycle and fire my Win 1200 as fast as an auto. I knew something wasn't right. Cleared the gun, pulled the barrel, and a glob of soggy powder fell out of the chamber. The wad was was stuck half out of the muzzle ( I suppose some pessimist would say "half in").

Guess the wax seal didn't seal well enough. Reloaded and filled my bag.

Never had one with my handgun or rifle reloads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

So paranoid about it today, I was shooting my bolt action .308 when I took a shot, BANG, good hit on target. I exctract the case and close the bolt and go for another shot. CLICK! Aww jeez! I pull the bolt out and looked down the barrel, it's clear... The next round never chambered because I didn't have the magazine seated correctly.... :)

LOL... Kinda makes ya thing about it after reading about it for sure. Every time I see a youtube video of some dude bump firing his pistol makes me cringe. They way they hold um when they do it would make for a nasty mess if one happens to destroy the barrel, sending bits of steel flying.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Had a squib in my G17. there was a distinctively different sound and it didn't cycle another round. The sound was enough to make me stop and field strip my weapon. Good thing I did bullit was lodged about a quarter way down the barrel. I was shooting factory reloaded ammo from MBI purchased from Lucky Gunner.

I don't worry about squibs but I do use caution when my weapons don't perform or sound as they usually do.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links