Squibs, anybody ever experience one?

This is a discussion on Squibs, anybody ever experience one? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Don't know why, it just popped into my head and has been bugging me ever since. I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squibs, anybody ever experience one?

Squibs, anybody ever experience one?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Don't know why, it just popped into my head and has been bugging me ever since. I've never experienced one, but after seeing videos of them, I'm sure I'm capable of recognizing one in person with steady, slow aimed fire. No big deal. Should be easy to catch.

However, I frequently fire controlled pairs, rather quickly. Maybe even 3. Catching a squib (if the action cycles and picks up another round) will be tough during rapid fire. I'd assume most of the time, the action won't cycle, though I've read some peoples stories that it's possible for the slide to cycle, eject and empty casing yet still leave a bullet in the barrel. And again, during rapid fire, this could be troublesome. Though, it's hard to believe that a round that doesn't make it out of the barrel will have the force to cycle the action of a semi-auto-pistol.

I don't shoot reloads, though I generally shoot lower end, whatever brass ammo I can get for relatively cheap. PMC, S&B and UMC are the three most common I use.

In an AR or AK, how easily you can determine the squib depends on if it makes it past the gas port. If the bullet doesn't make it past the gas port, it's 99% likely the action won't cycle. You eject the round that was a "dud" or so you though, and it's an empty casing... uh oh. However, if it makes it past the gas port, the bolt will probably cycle. During rapid fire, you may not catch it... That's scary. Maybe it's beneficial having a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel, JUST for this reason! More chance to be caught behind the gas port, making it easier to catch a squib :D

But anyway, simple solution, don't rapid fire. But.... what fun is that? And when I say rapid fire, I don't mean mag dumps, but, doubles or triples.

And then comes tap, rack, bang. Anytime I have a FTF, mainly with my 1911 and it's one "questionable" mags, TAP is really all I need and it bumps the round into the chamber. Though, having to go through with a tap, rack bang had you not caught a squib that just occurred, you could be in trouble!

For the love of god, tell me I'm over thinking this all

2. Remove Ads

From my experience with reloading I would find it very difficult to imagine a squib load making a semi auto function the slide enough to pick up another round and chamber it in order for you to fire the gun again. If you do the tap rack bang, you could certainly have some trouble. Hopefully you would notice the reduced recoil before all of that.

Then again the only squibs I have ever had were when I first started reloading, and they were in a 44-40 single action. I pushed about 4 or 5 out of 100 rds back out of the barrel. Once I realized I had a problem, I fired all the rounds into a creek so I could see if the round exited the barrel.

Learned a valuable lesson that day, and haven't repeated it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    For the love of god, tell me I'm over thinking this all
    I'd like to but...

results of a squib...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've had a few. All with ammo typically considered highly reliable. Never had one with reloads.

I wouldn't want one when I'm rapid firing at all. I've had the next round load, but knew it was a squib and wasn't fast shooting. I've also had one lodge in the barrel of a revolver, where I had the trigger 1/2 way pulled on the next round ... and was able to stop before getting the trigger fully pulled.

The one's I've had, I definitely knew it. However, in rapid firing, .... I hope it never puts a new round in it, like it has before.

As said, most ... will not cycle in a new round. But, you gun is useless at that point if you are in a gun fight and the bullet is sitting in your barrel.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I've had a few. All with ammo typically considered highly reliable. Never had one with reloads.

I wouldn't want one when I'm rapid firing at all. I've had the next round load, but knew it was a squib and wasn't fast shooting. I've also had one lodge in the barrel of a revolver, where I had the trigger 1/2 way pulled on the next round ... and was able to stop before getting the trigger fully pulled.

The one's I've had, I definitely knew it. However, in rapid firing, .... I hope it never puts a new round in it, like it has before.

As said, most ... will not cycle in a new round. But, you gun is useless at that point if you are in a gun fight and the bullet is sitting in your barrel.
    While it would royally SUCK to happen in a gun fight, that's not really my main concern. The chances of a gun fight on top of the chances of a squib make that scenario basically a non-issue for me. It's when I'm having fun at the range, when my fun quickly turns into me bleeding from the face.

I still don't see how squib can cycle the slide. Though you say it happened to you and I've read about it, it just doesn't make logical sense to me. I've had rounds that made holes on paper but didn't have enough power to full cycle the slide (stovepipe with UMC).

I'd hate to ruin my rapid fire fun and have to think "possible squib!" with every trigger pull.

JD
    Administrator
    I've had one, and felt it being "different" than what a cartridge going off should feel like and stopped shooting. That batch of reloads was taken out of circulation and is awaiting a meeting with the bullet puller.

Senior Moderator
    The gun barrel above was being fired in a rapid manner. There were several other peoples shooting and it wasnt apparent to the shooter that there was anything wrong, until he fired again and locked up the gun...this one a Thompson .45.

The ring right in front of the bulge was from the slide stopping on the bulge. I had to take it home and disassemble it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I've had one, and felt it being "different" than what a cartridge going off should feel like and stopped shooting. That batch of reloads was taken out of circulation and is awaiting a meeting with the bullet puller.
    Curious, did it cycle the slide enough to pick up the next round and chamber it?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Curious, did it cycle the slide enough to pick up the next round and chamber it?
    I don't recall...

I had a dangerous squib in my M&P9 that came as a result of me accidentally reloading a .380 and putting it through my gun. It did indeed cycle the slide but it sounded different and I caught it right away.

I shoot a steel match twice a month and I'd guess 2/3 of the shooters load their own ammo. About every other match I'll hear a squib, easily detected from the sidelines by the change in sound - blam-blam-blam-blip. Behind the gun, especially when the shooting is fast, it takes some concentration to detect a squib, since some of them (like hot-loaded .38 Super) will still cycle the action - especially the race guns with light springs. I suspect the shooters with high total round count have mostly all experienced a barrel-destroying squib at least once and are loathe to let that happen again, so they're tuned into it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

On mine, where it recycled, we found the bullet 1/2 way out and 1/2 way in the end of the barrel. Literally took a hold of it and pulled it right out. On another, the bullet cleared the barrel.... but there was no doubt that it didn't go far.... a pfft sound. I would NOT say the gun recycled normally at all... don't know how to explain that at all. Although the bullet cleared, we considered that a squib round.

And on a revolver, it doesn't matter, that cylinder will still rotate as long as the bullet makes it into the barrel.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The first time my wife shot my SA 1911 it was a squib. We were using WWB 230gr fmj. Thankfully it turned out ok with no injuries of her or weapon.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'd like to but...

results of a squib...
    Thats what happens when ya let your Colts ,S&W's, Glocks etc hang out with HiPoint's,was it a boy or a girl?

Actually I have had more than a few,and I reload,most were when I was using a LEE PRO 1000 press,powder actuator uses a light chain and any binding will cause it to break,if you don't catch it you load cases with no powder,anytime a round sounds different,or lighter recoil I stop and check for barrel obstruction,my last squib I actually saw the bullet leave the barrel,hit the paper target with cardboard backing and drop to the ground
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've had them only in my .22 thank god, the bullet makes it out but the action jams.
    Tommy Gun Blow Up - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links