I wanted to tell everyone...

This is a discussion on I wanted to tell everyone... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been much done in the way of testing the 380 over the years. Alot of times it is a 380 vs 38 spl ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I wanted to tell everyone...

There has been much done in the way of testing the 380 over the years. Alot of times it is a 380 vs 38 spl comparison. The 38 has an advantage in bullet weight, and the 380 in capacity and easier platform to shoot accurately ( if compared to a snubby), reload quicker, and higher capacity.

While I am a 38spl snubby fan, when compared in this way, I have to give it to the 380 auto.
    But only in PPK or Bersa sized guns. They are very accurate guns capable of putting all rounds right where you want them, even at distance.

So, I believe one must consider platform as well. I have no problem with the 380.
    gottabkiddin and Magnum like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

twc
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There has been much done in the way of testing the 380 over the years. Alot of times it is a 380 vs 38 spl comparison. The 38 has an advantage in bullet weight, and the 380 in capacity and easier platform to shoot accurately ( if compared to a snubby), reload quicker, and higher capacity.

While I am a 38spl snubby fan, when compared in this way, I have to give it to the 380 auto.
    But only in PPK or Bersa sized guns. They are very accurate guns capable of putting all rounds right where you want them, even at distance.

So, I believe one must consider platform as well. I have no problem with the 380.
    I would agree with that. As far as the tiny pocket sized autos what are your feelings between the 32 acp and 380? I have heard the kel tec p32 is easier to shoot than the slightly larger p3at and gives you an extra round. I'm wondering if there is much difference ballistically from both cartridges shot from a 2.7" barrel under say ten yards. I would think with a barrel of that length FMJ would be the optimal round in either cartridge.

I actually carried a Kel-tec 380 in my plate carrier for 4 years,never needed it(thank you God!),but I would have been to ashamed to use it in front of my team mates anyway!I'd had to crawl off behind a rock to deploy it and tell them I took it off Hadji.When I left for the states I gave it to a team member who still has it today,he says it's like that ugly girl at the party,she's there and willing,but,you don't show her to your friends!

My 380 LCP with CT Laserguard shoots accurate enough and I'm sure would do the job with well placed shots, but I feel much more comfortable with one of my Sigs or Glocks in 357 sig, 9mm or 45 acp. I feel under gunned with the LCP and only carry it when I have to have shirttail tucked in.....then it's handy in a Stoner Wallet Holster! That's just me, but to each his own.....carry whatever you shoot well and feel comfortable with.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

TWC, if I am going to give up accuracy, and shootability for the need for maximum concealment and ease of carry, I'm just going to carry an airweight snubby.

The accuracy and ability to make quick hits and quick reloads is the only thing that I feel give it an edge to the snubby.

The smallish pocket pistols like the kel tec and such are lacking in this area too much for me to consider. They are too small.
    I once was carrying one in my pocket, went to get change out of my pocket for the pop machine, and damn near fed the machine my kel tec instead of a quarter! ( just joking lol).

The 380 and 32 acp have been used around the world by police.

The 380 is only slightly less potent than the 9mm makarov, which is was used by Soviet Bloc countries as the military round.

So to say that these smaller rounds are not , or have no place in SD, is kinda ignorrant, considering their history.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    ...Better than throwing a rock, worse than a marble and a good slingshot...

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I agree with you there. I've got a SIG 232. It's got enough heft to it to absorb some of the recoil and a large enough grip that I can shoot it accurately. I know bigger is better. You only have to look at a .45 ACP next to a .380 to see that.

I also know that some people have no problem concealing a .45 beneath a wet T-shirt. I'm not one of those people. For me, a .380 in a pair of cargo shorts beats the .45 back home on the nightstand.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

This IMO, is spot on and articulated so well that anyone should be able to grasp it. IMO, it both covers the power and bullet weight aspect for the caliber, as well as the advantages regarding reloading from a magazine verses a speed loader for a revolver. While I'm a huge advocate for the .38 special, it's mainly due to bullet weight and reliability. If I could locate a good defense round in 115gr JHP .380, I'd be in PPK heaven.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I remember one time I went to a public range on a National Forrest near my house for some load testing of my rifles. A Hispanic couple had been to a gun show that day and purchased a Bersa 380. They ask me for help in learning it's operation and sighting it in. I obliged, and using their target that was set up at about 15 yards, shot the little gun.

I was amazed at how easy it was to drill the bulls eye. I had the same experience the first time I fired my PPK.
    I would not hesitate to take an across the room head shot with either of these guns in the SA mode. Even double action they have enough size and weight to " pick your spot" with confidence at 7 to 10 yards.

Now, if I had my druthers, I'd rather have more power. But we all know that it's just not possible to have a bi cap nine or 45 on us all the time. I can't imagine a scenario where 4 or 5 quick hits to the chest, neck and head would not stop any aggession.

I absolutely love the PPK and Bersa platform.

Many will argue that the Kahr is better because it is as small and fires the 9mm.

While I cannot debate that point, I can give my reasons for not liking the Kahr.

One, is that I do not believe a pistol that small will be as durable firing the much hotter 9mm round. Secondly, I will not spend money on a gun made by any offspring of Sun Yung Moon, or any nutso religious faction like the Moonies.

The PPK is a classy, classic and timeless design that was designed for the 32 and 380 cartridge.

twc
    I bet you'd like the P64 as well.

JEC
    No arguement here. I've carried a Mauser Hsc in .380 for 36 years. BTW I find Detail Page for Part # 23606 to be a capable self defense round.

I don't have any problem with the "power" of a .380 round. In fact, if you sit a .380 next to a 9mm you'll notice the 9mm is just barely larger. And although I do carry a .380 once a week or sometimes more, I usually prefer my 9mm. The reason has nothing to do with the power of the round, rather the gun itself. My Glock 19 holds nearly 3 times the amount of rounds in the magazine. It is also much more accurate. So naturally, I'd rather have my Glock 19 in an emergency just for those reasons alone.

If Glock sold their .380 version here in the USA I'd probably have no qualms against carrying one as my daily carry weapon.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

"Wish I'd had one" - David, (I Samuel 17)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

from Double Tap Ammo website. Similar as possible bullet weights. You guys can do the math. Responsibility for the caliber you carry is entirely your own. Today, my carry gun is a Glock 33 .357SIG....because I hate wasting ammo. Those ballistics on the .380 are really impressive......

.380 ACP
    Velocity: 975fps / Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP
    3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder - 1080fps
    Bullet: 95gr Controlled Expansion JHP

Muzzle Energy: 200 ft. lbs. Kel-Tec
    246 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder

9mm+P

Bullet : Remington JHP

Ballistics : 115gr @ 1415fps / 511ft. lbs. from a G17.
    Glock 19 velocity - 1395fps

.38 +P
    Velocity: 1175fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
    1.875" bbl S&W - 1100fps
    Bullet: Bonded Defense JHP

Muzzle Energy: 383 ft. lbs. 4"
    336 ft. lbs. 1.875"

357 Sig 147gr. JHP

3.5" barrel - 1213fps
    4.5" barrel - 1296fps

Caliber : .357 Sig

Bullet : 147gr. Winchester® JHP

Ballistics : 1250fps / 510 ft. lbs. 4"bbl
    Bombsaway likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    I want to tell all my friends, enemies, supporters, nay-sayers, everyone, that I love, trust, and support the .380ACP. After many months of confusion, questions, denials, wondering, doubting, I finally did research (both hands-on and documented), on the .380ACP. So.... I'm happy to say.....

I carry a .380 and I'm proud of it.

That's it. Thanks for listening.
    Just wondering if you'd be so kind as to share your research with us. You know, what the conditions were in your testing, links to your research, etc.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links