I wanted to tell everyone...

This is a discussion on I wanted to tell everyone... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gene83 For me, a .380 in a pair of cargo shorts beats the .45 back home on the nightstand. That sums it ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I wanted to tell everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    For me, a .380 in a pair of cargo shorts beats the .45 back home on the nightstand.
    That sums it up. All the bravado about .45's is left in the safe, like mine. Meanwhile the Seecamp is in my pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    That sums it up. All the bravado about .45's is left in the safe, like mine. Meanwhile the Seecamp is in my pocket.
    Well, I don't leave the .45 in a safe. I actually carry it quite a bit, but you can't just slip it in an IWB holster, cover it with a T-shirt and head out the door. So, for a quick run down to the store for a gallon of milk or whatever, I often find myself carrying the .380 in a small holster that easily slips inside the waistband. In cooler weather where I can use a jacket as a cover garment, I'm carrying the .45 and an extra mag. 17 rds of .45 ACP should deter just about anybody.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Just a little ballistic facts to chew on...... From The BuffaloBore site.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.)

Actual ballistics from real world handguns, not testing barrels in super duper lengths.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    4. Keltec---1061 fps

Same here.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 90 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1200fps M.E. 288 ft. lbs)

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel----1218 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1200 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1123 fps
    4. Keltec---1100 fps

And here...

BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE 380 Auto +P Ammo - 80 gr. Barnes TAC-XP (1275fps/ME 289 ft. lbs.)

1231 — fps - Browning Double Action-3.75 inch barrel
    1235 — fps - Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel - (faster than longer barrel above, no typo)
    1130 — fps - Kel Tec PA3T-2.75 inch barrel
    1136 — fps - Kahr P380-2.75 inch barrel

Yeah, I'll use a PPK stoked with this stuff all day long, and twice on Sunday.
    Any one of these rounds will get you toe tagged in a heartbeat. Now you're up to date.

Well most anyway...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Heres the data I fould a while back from one of those sites where they analyzed REAL shootings. To me, as a retired engineer, is more important than a calculated "relative power". You might say the calculation is what the designers expect, the data is what the product actually did.
    380 ACP Stopping Power, all bullet weights
    Brand Bullet Shootings One Shot Stops Percent Diameter Penetration Notes
    Corbon 90 gr JHP 42 30 71% 0.59" 8.8"
    Federal 90 gr HS 96 68 71% 0.56" 9.4"
    Triton gr JHP 10 7 70% 0.58" 9.1"
    Federal 90 gr JHP 178 123 69% 0.55" 8.7"
    Winchester 85 gr ST 103 70 68% 0.51" 8.2"
    CCI gr JHP 78 52 67% 0.48" 9.2"
    Remington 88 gr JHP 75 52 67% 0.49" 9.7"
    Federal 90 gr FMJ 231 127 55% 0" 10.9"

38 Special Stopping Power, all bullet weights
    Brand Bullet Shootings One Shot Stops Percent Diameter Penetration Notes
    Federal 129 gr HS 77 50 65% 0.56" 10.2" 2" revolver
    Federal 125 gr Nyclad 46 29 63% 0.56" 10.4" 2" revolver
    Federal 158 gr LRN 421 208 49% 0.357" 17.1" 2" revolver

Now all that said, do this:
    Gather up some 1 gallon milk jugs and fill them with water. Take them out somewhere where this an be done safely. Shoot the jugs with your 380, a 38 and a 9, in the guns YOU would carry. After seeing whatr the "mouse guns" do to that milk jug and the small difference bewteen guns, you will not be ashamed to carry a 380.
    After all, James Bond carried the PPK for over 40 years........
    Yes, someone high on drugs and has an attitude nay not drop on the first shot from ANY of the guns above. However, thats why God gave us 6 shot mags....

remember :" 2 in the chest, one in the head; even the jolly green giant will fall down dead"

I posted this before.
    I was at the range with my 642, Colt Mustang and full size 9 ( car gun). I set up a sillouette target at 25'. The guy in the stall next to me had a big, bad looking 40. He fired 3 mags at the target, but hit in the black once. So, I picked up the mustang and put the whole mag in the COM, and put the gun down to reload the mag. So, this dude comes over to my stall and says " nice shooting but what do you do if the BG is still coming. I put the mag into the gun racked it, and put one shot into the forehead area of the target. The guy picked up his stuff and left.
    I am only 5-7. I have to go with what I can conceal, in Florida heat type clothing. My jobs did not allow carrying on premisis, and don't want to "advertise" that I have a gun by printing. The 38- is usual, alternating with a 642. I don't go into the "bad" areas of town.
    According to the above data chart, the 380 even holds a slight advantage in one-shot-kills.

First rule of a gunfight: Have a gun
    Second rule: Learn how to use it well. Your life may depend on it.
    gottabkiddin and HotGuns like this.

{QUOTE=deafdave3;2013405]I want to tell all my friends, enemies, supporters, nay-sayers, everyone, that I love, trust, and support the .380ACP. After many months of confusion, questions, denials, wondering, doubting, I finally did research (both hands-on and documented), on the .380ACP. So.... I'm happy to say.....

I carry a .380 and I'm proud of it.

That's it. Thanks for listening.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm glad youv'e finally come out and told us about your defensive lifestyle choice... while I may not agree your mother and I will always support you in the choices you make. If you where worried about what we would think, just understand that we've always kindof suspected and now that it's out in the open we can move on in a loving open manner.

Mastercap; That sir makes too much sense... I reject it..

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    ...Better than throwing a rock, worse than a marble and a good slingshot...

Better than a cats eye maybe but a steely?

How I wish Glock did sell their .380 to the general public here in the USA! I'd have one to go with my Bersa .380 in a heartbeat!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

I carried a NAA Guardian and never felt undergunned. The thing was so heavy I could thorw it at them when it ran dry LOL.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Just a little ballistic facts to chew on...... From The BuffaloBore site.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.)

Actual ballistics from real world handguns, not testing barrels in super duper lengths.

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    4. Keltec---1061 fps

Same here.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 90 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1200fps M.E. 288 ft. lbs)

1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel----1218 fps
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1200 fps
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1123 fps
    4. Keltec---1100 fps

And here...

BUFFALO-BARNES LEAD-FREE 380 Auto +P Ammo - 80 gr. Barnes TAC-XP (1275fps/ME 289 ft. lbs.)

1231 — fps - Browning Double Action-3.75 inch barrel
    1235 — fps - Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel - (faster than longer barrel above, no typo)
    1130 — fps - Kel Tec PA3T-2.75 inch barrel
    1136 — fps - Kahr P380-2.75 inch barrel

Yeah, I'll use a PPK stoked with this stuff all day long, and twice on Sunday.
    Any one of these rounds will get you toe tagged in a heartbeat. Now you're up to date.

Well most anyway...
    there is no such caliber as .380 +P. If BB is loading these as hot as they say they are, I would check with the manufacturer of your weapon to see if it is rated for anything in excess of regular
    pressures. Ruger specifically states that their guns are NOT.....so if you wanna blow your gun up in your face, have at it. Now you're up to date.

How many here have personally seen a pistol blow up because it was loaded way too hot? I watched a guy get half his face taken off at a range in Texas because he just thought he could load his personal hand loads in excess of what the gun would handle. Paramedics are probably still looking for his nose.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I generally carry a .45 or a 9mm, but around the house I usually just carry a lightweight little .25ACP and I'm comfortable with it (though it's only a BUG when out and about).

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    there is no such caliber as .380 +P. If BB is loading these as hot as they say they are, I would check with the manufacturer of your weapon to see if it is rated for anything in excess of regular
    pressures. Ruger specifically states that their guns are NOT.....so if you wanna blow your gun up in your face, have at it. Now you're up to date.

How many here have personally seen a pistol blow up because it was loaded way too hot? I watched a guy get half his face taken off at a range in Texas because he just thought he could load his personal hand loads in excess of what the gun would handle. Paramedics are probably still looking for his nose.

Ruger, Ruger, who said anything about Ruger.....

Oh', and there's no SAAMI specifications for a .380 +p, but there is such a thing as a .380 +p and it's made by Buffalo Bore, as well as a couple of others out there. How about bringing facts to the table for a change, it sure would be refreshing...

I watched a guy get half his face taken off
    SO, and your your point is. I didn't load it myself, or did you not comprehend that the rounds are manufactured by B U F F A L O B O R E.

Dude, seriously, find someone else to stalk.... The ignore list is easy enough to use, I suggest you use it. I know I am.....

Between talking to people in actual conversation and people discussing calibers on an internet forum there is a big difference.
    Ballistics information is a moot point to me. Self defense situations are very erratic and hardly repetitive (unless your John Wayne or Clint Eastwood).
    Just aim for the available shot, focus, squeeze trigger, repeat as necessary, focus.
    A Jennings J22 can feel like a Colt .45 when you need it.

I had a 380 that I liked and carried from time to time. Mainly I used it as a pocket carry for shorts, bicycle rides and walking the neighborhood. Now my wife has it along with her S&W40 and dared me to try to take it back..

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Ruger, Ruger, who said anything about Ruger.....

Oh', and there's no SAAMI specifications for a .380 +p, but there is such a thing as a .380 +p and it's made by Buffalo Bore, as well as a couple of others out there. How about bringing facts to the table for a change, it sure would be refreshing...

SO, and your your point is. I didn't load it myself, or did you not comprehend that the rounds are manufactured by B U F F A L O B O R E.

Dude, seriously, find someone else to stalk.... The ignore list is easy enough to use, I suggest you use it. I know I am.....

from Steven Camps, Hi-Powers and Handguns.....you might want to ask who this guy was that may have a bit more experience than yourself. I'm sure you've never heard of him.

The Defensive

The .380 ACP (left) has the same 9mm (0.355”) bullet diameter as the 9x19mm next to it, but the latter operates at considerably higher pressures. SAAMI maximum pressure for .380 ACP is 21,500 PSI, 35,000 for 9x19mm and 38,500 PSI for 9x19mm +P. ( “380 +P” just doesn’t exist despite some ammo-makers’ labeling.) Where a .380 can usually get approximately 950 ft/sec (sometimes less) with a 95 FMJ, a 147-gr. bullet can be fired from a standard pressure 9x19mm at slightly higher speeds, depending upon barrel length and considerably faster if using a specialty +P load in this weight! If using a 90 or 100 grain bullet, the 9x19mm can easily flies in the 1300 to 1400 ft/sec range. The 380 simply cannot even with the few maximum-effort loads that currently exist for the cartridge.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links