I wanted to tell everyone...

This is a discussion on I wanted to tell everyone... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't remember where (might have been Guns and Ammo magazine, can't remember) but I remember a reference there to a pistol being a "ballistic ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: I wanted to tell everyone...

I can't remember where (might have been Guns and Ammo magazine, can't remember) but I remember a reference there to a pistol being a "ballistic life preserver". If a person has any illusions about a legally-carried, legally-owned defensive firearm being anything else, I sort of question if they should be carrying a gun in the first place.

Therefore, I look upon a person's decision about that self-protection device to be the individual's own decision, much like the decision to choose a certain brand of smoke alarm or fire extinguisher. Certainly, we would all like to choose the extinguisher that extinguished the fire most quickly....but because people aren't fires and no two are exactly alike in the manner in which they react to the event of being shot, there is simply no "best" answer for everyone in terms of a gun or caliber. The more I study the information about the performance of calibers and loads in real-life situations, the more I see that.

To anyone who has settled on a gun and load that gives the person peace of mind and a confident attitude toward dealing with a threat, I say "congratulations". I'm also glad that I've seen the results from real-life gunfights posted in this thread. It has confirmed a lot of suspicions I've had for some time.
    Zeke2A likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I left my opinion on the 380 in the last thread that ended up locked like any other caliber war inducing thread... not going to mess with this one...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I carry a .22 pocket auto and feel just fine.

I really do not care who carries what.
    Whatever works for ya' is fine with me.
    I have firearms that I can carry...from .22 to .45, and I prefer the .45, but that's just me.

I do have my P-3AT, and I do take it with me for around the house or to the store once in a while.

Most of the time, it's my .45, but I also love my .357 revolver.
    You could probably couldn't care less what I carry, and I feel the same way about others.
    It's interesting to hear people talk about their 'favorites'...but that's just interesting talk.
    Report back after an incident...then let's compare 'hole' stories.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

RKM
    I hate .380, but I carry one 5 days a week because it's better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nokaoi View Post
    Said it before and say it again - a .380 will just barely kill a BG.
    Ok, I busted up laughing at that. Just barely might have to be good enough.

My first carry pistol was a Kel-Tec 380, and it still goes out with me every now and then. For those of you who carry a 380, how many rounds do you have with you? When I carry my Kel-Tec, I go with 1 extra mag.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    I would agree with that. As far as the tiny pocket sized autos what are your feelings between the 32 acp and 380? I have heard the kel tec p32 is easier to shoot than the slightly larger p3at and gives you an extra round. I'm wondering if there is much difference ballistically from both cartridges shot from a 2.7" barrel under say ten yards. I would think with a barrel of that length FMJ would be the optimal round in either cartridge.
    I haven't shot the P32, but at 7 yards the P3AT does just fine for me. It is easily as accurate as my j frame at those shorter distances.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post

My first carry pistol was a Kel-Tec 380, and it still goes out with me every now and then. For those of you who carry a 380, how many rounds do you have with you? When I carry my Kel-Tec, I go with 1 extra mag.
    I carry two LCPs. In business attire, I have two spare mags in my briefcase. In casual clothes (usually wear cargo pants/shorts) I keep the spare mags in a cargo pocket.

I use the "spare mag wallet" from abetterholster - keeps the mags oriented properly. Link - http://www.abetterholster.com/orderaccess.html

My usual "reload" is to draw the second gun (aka the "NY reload") - the spare mags are really more for reloading after everything is over, just in case it isn't.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; August 28th, 2011 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added link
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter64 View Post

When I'm carrying my PPK, it's backed up by three extra mags... That may be considered overkill by some folks, but IMO, that's the point. I can carry a reasonably effective defensive tool with twenty-five rounds to feed it, and no one has a clue that it's there.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    When I'm carrying my PPK, it's backed up by three extra mags... That may be considered overkill by some folks, but IMO, that's the point. I can carry a reasonably effective defensive tool with twenty-five rounds to feed it, and no one has a clue that it's there.
    Your post mirror's your name.

And so does yours.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Let's Dual...

Spit Wad Gun.gif

My spit wad gun and your .380 @ 25 yards and see who's left standing :-)

Hey, at least it's better than throwint rocks or using a sling shot
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links