Russian Pistol Ammo

Russian Pistol Ammo

This is a discussion on Russian Pistol Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from Wally World. Unfourtunatly they were kind of low on .45acp. Did not have the Federal Champion 235 fmj that I usually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Russian Pistol Ammo

Russian Pistol Ammo

Just got back from Wally World. Unfourtunatly they were kind of low on .45acp. Did not have the Federal Champion 235 fmj that I usually get. Dont like Winchester White Box ( Dirty). Bought a box of Tul-Ammo
    made in Russia. Anyone have any experience with this ammo? Only 15$ a box, couple bucks cheaper then the Federal.Just wondering if I wasted my money.

TC
    On Box: Steel Case, Non- Corrosive, Boxer Primed

It depends on your feeling towards steel cased pistol ammo.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

What do most of the more experienced shooters think? Did not realize they were steel till I got them home as they wont let you open the box. As a new shooter, what is the difference besides the obvious? More likely to FTF, FTE ect. Going to run through a Springer 1911. Is it harmful to the pistol itself?
    TC

As I recall, extractor wear/damage is an issue. Can't say for sure, I don't use steel cased pistol ammo. I'm sure you will get some responses.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

some people don't like them because of the steel and they run very dirty, others are only focused on price.
    FWIW:
    cabela's is running a sale on brass 115gr 9mm 1000 for 189 and free shipping through 8/31

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If you didn't like "white box" because they were dirty...wait til you run these.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have been using Tul-ammo for my rifle and pistols. No FTF or FTE.
    Yup its a bit dirty but i always clean my guns after the trip to the range.

Good for target shooting and it save me some $$ down the line.

twc
    I would imagine you will save a lot more money shooting steel and replacing an extractor than shooting brass.

Uhhhm Ohboy Russian Laquered Steel Case ammo with powder that smokes like they made it out of the heads of crushed matches and leaves you in a cloud of stink, and you save like a penny a round over reloadable brass cased Blazer ammo at 50 rounds a box , IF you buy the non reloadable roosian crap steel cases in thousand round lots.
    Yehhhhhhh boY sign me up for that good good deal.
    Bombsaway and Fisher10 like this.

I personally won't shoot the steel cased ammo in my pistols because of the extractor wear/damage. I would rather reload brass several times. That being said I have invested a little money in my addiction. I do use some steel cased ammo in my SKS & AK's.

It just depends on your pesonal thoughts.

Me Steel/Bad Brass/Good
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    As I recall, extractor wear/damage is an issue. Can't say for sure, I don't use steel cased pistol ammo. I'm sure you will get some responses.
    ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Guantes said. I stay away from that stuff
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Wolf, Tula, use it all the time. Works fine but does tend to be dirty. Iirc the latest stuff is polymer coated, not lacquered...

Sigh.

It won't damage your extractor. It is considerably cheaper than store bought brass ammo.

And unless you don't plan on cleaning your guns, why should how dirty it is be an issue? And even then...

I've got a Glock21 that I bought used; I use it as a loaner for friends when they want to shoot. It's a well used Gen2 that was plain filthy when I bought it. I lubed it in the approriate places, but beyond that, no cleaning. I'm interested in seeing how it fares with nothing but a diet of Tula, Wolf, Bear, etc...so far, close to 2,000 rounds without a glitch.

ETA--In my experience, folks who talk down on steel cased ammo have no actual experience with it, but are just spewing off "what they heard" on the internet or by self-professed "experts" in the gun shop or range.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

It's soft steel, considerably softer than the tool steel your extractor is made of. As far as dirty, not really. The problem if you will, is that the steel casing doesn't expand to seal the throat of the barrel quite as well as brass does when fired. So there is more blow by from the chamber. And TulAmmo is NOT laquer coated, its a polymer coating. I use this stuff in 9mm, 40 S&W and 7.62x39 with absolutely NO problems.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Texag likes this.

I haven't used TulAmmo myself though I have shot a bunch of Barnaul, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Wolf with no issues in .223, 9x19, and 7.62x39. I certainly isn't clean though I would say it is about a wash between the steel cased stuff and WWB. Wolf seems like it is loaded on the lighter side though that is no problem for range use. Some brands seem to have a bit of an ammonia smell to them, though I've seen that with a lot of suprlus ammo as well, but as long as none of that bothers you than it is fine to shoot and will be a little easier on your pocketbook if you don't reload for that caliber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links