how long does ammo last????

This is a discussion on how long does ammo last???? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; how often do you cycle your self defense rounds. I heard that the ammunition primer doesnt perform 100% the way it should the older the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: how long does ammo last????

how often do you cycle your self defense rounds. I heard that the ammunition primer doesnt perform 100% the way it should the older the ammo is, of course i have also heard from handling ammo the oils in our hands can affect the effectiveness of the primer as well. Room temperature and making sure they are kept in a cool/dry place.......WHAT IS THE REAL STRATEGY TO FOLLOW ON CYCLING YOUR AMMO......
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Primers don't go dead from oily hands,for long term storage if ammo is kept in a cool dry place my inbred relatives will be shooting it long after I'm gone.A lot of people will usually shoot their carry ammo every 6 months to a year,and replace it with new stuff out of the box.I remember bein g a Cop in the USAF we carried S&W model 15 38 spcl,The ammo we were issued was Lead Round Nose,I know that we shot 147 grn wadcutters for qualification,so AFAIK I was issued the same bullets for 2 years I was there and they weren't new when I got them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    how often do you cycle your self defense rounds. I heard that the ammunition primer doesnt perform 100% the way it should the older the ammo is, of course i have also heard from handling ammo the oils in our hands can affect the effectiveness of the primer as well. Room temperature and making sure they are kept in a cool/dry place.......WHAT IS THE REAL STRATEGY TO FOLLOW ON CYCLING YOUR AMMO......
    I am still shooting ammo my dad gave me from the 50's and 60's if that answers your questions.

I've recently shot ammo that is 25 years old, the stuff doesn't go bad

I am still shooting ammo that I reloaded 30 years ago. Never had a misfire from any of it.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Unless your shooting a black powder revolver, storage isn't all that important.

I remember, (and I think it was on this forum) a story of a guy that shot an intruder with a .38 that he had in his nightstand with the same ammo he loaded the gun with 30 or so years earlier. Worked for him. As far as how long it lasts, I'm not sure but I would guess the stuff from WWII will still go off if it was stored reasonably. I cycle my carry ammo depending on how much I shoot, not based on age of ammo.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    My initial response was: it depends on how fast you can pull the trigger.
    msgt/ret and Tzadik like this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I remember, (and I think it was on this forum) a story of a guy that shot an intruder with a .38 that he had in his nightstand with the same ammo he loaded the gun with 30 or so years earlier. Worked for him. As far as how long it lasts, I'm not sure but I would guess the stuff from WWII will still go off if it was stored reasonably. I cycle my carry ammo depending on how much I shoot, not based on age of ammo.
    every once in awhile in places in europe they come upon unexploded ordinance from WW2, they treat it as live, 65 years of being buried, wet, whatever and they are concerned about it, your little bullets in your gun for a few months should be fine

I take real pleasure in painting the primers and crimps on my re-loads...investing in the future.. I shoot ammo from 1978 once a year..class stuff from Norma...cant get anymore, its my hunting ammo..going throught it very very slow because it is very very good..caps and crimps are sealed..some surplus storage ammo was made the same way...gotta have an ear out for a missfire with any ammo...dont rush through the old stuff...good luck

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    every once in awhile in places in europe they come upon unexploded ordinance from WW2, they treat it as live, 65 years of being buried, wet, whatever and they are concerned about it, your little bullets in your gun for a few months should be fine
    They are concerned about it because IIRC the explosive they used over time deteriorates and becomes unstable,one little bump can cause a BOOOOMMMMM
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ammunition you buy today can be used by your yet unborn grandchildren when they are collecting Social Security. It will work just fine.

BUT: If you are talking about rounds you stick in an auto and keep in your car when it's a 100+ degrees outside and you cycle them through more than a few times.....shoot them and replace them.
    Chambering ammo does bad things. So does keeping them in a car that you could bake a cake or freeze a Mammoth in as the seasons change.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am still shooting ammo my dad gave me from the 50's and 60's if that answers your questions.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I actually have a box of 38 Sp wadcutters sitting around that has been on a shelf since at least 1987. I didn't know what to do with it. Now, if I ever get a snuby I'll try to pop them off at the range.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    I just worked my way to the back of my 30.06 ammo this summer. I was shooting off 20 round boxes I paid $8 for. Not sure when I bought those, but I would bet it was at least 20 years ago if not more. They shot fine.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    It will generally outlast you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links