Buffalo Bore ammo question.

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore ammo question. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This Saturday I took some guns to the range and gave um a work out. I took my carry loads with me to run through ...

Thread: Buffalo Bore ammo question.

This Saturday I took some guns to the range and gave um a work out. I took my carry loads with me to run through my EDCs. Being that Buffalo Bore is my main carry round, that's what I ran and no other ammo was used in my three EDC's. When I was cleaning um, all three than only ran the BB looked extremely dirty, more so than I remember from any range trip in a long time. The other two safe queens that ran regular factory FMJs were not near as dirty, or as difficult to clean.

My question is. Has anyone else had the same experience with this ammo, and anything other than the obvious concerns regarding cleaning to look out for?

My thoughts for the ammo during the range trip is, it's very accurate stuff, and it absolutely adds some ump to any round. I carried 50 rounds for my .38s and 50 for my PPK. I guess it's not such a big deal, normally I don't take that many firearms to the range at one time, but it did really point out to me just how dirty this stuff is. I'll look at it as fair trade off for the additional horse power gained.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

My BB is dirty stuff.
    But I shoot black powder and corrosive ammo so I have no problem with dirty.

I suspect alot of the extra residue is from slower burning powder used for max velocity. What happens in short barrels is partially or unburnt powder residue that would not be present in longer barrels.

Bmcgilvray did a post awhile back testing his reloads and BBs loads for velocity, it is very well written and interesting.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great, thanks for the lead. I'll look for that thread. Thanks guys. Have a great holiday!
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; September 4th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I suspect alot of the extra residue is from slower burning powder used for max velocity. What happens in short barrels is partially or unburnt powder residue that would not be present in longer barrels.

Bmcgilvray did a post awhile back testing his reloads and BBs loads for velocity, it is very well written and interesting.
    I agree and I still have two boxes left of the .38+ in my safe. It's hot and very capable but I've decided to carry something else in my snub.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I don't like or trust Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon Ammo.
    Why?
    Because they make ammo that outperforms everything else on the market and anything a prudent handloader would attempt to duplicate.. Their claims are fantastic.

Too fantastic if you ask me.

Actually , it can be reproduced by a handloader, but only with the older data using 2400 in charges not found today in the data books of reloading.

I believe they blend different powders together to achieve velocities without exceeding pressure limits.

That being said, pressure limits are very interesting. Most handguns made today of quality steel are built with a built in safety tolerance. While this should not be pressed it is factual.

In truth, the need for higher velocities in the 38 spl are not needed with proper bullet selection.
    Standard velocity will get it done just as well without the extra $ and punishment.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In my SW442 I use BB Item 20C-158gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC @ 850 fps. They bill it as "Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash HVY 38 SPL (non +P)". This round came with much recommendations when I sought advice on this and other forums. I decided to stay away from BB's infamous +p loads with a light weight snubby such as the 442. To be honest, I've only ran about 20 rds and didn't really notice any excessive dirtiness. I'll take special note next time I run some.
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

My only experience with Buffalo Bore is with .380 and was all positive. It is the ONLY round (100 gr hardcast) that I would carry in .380.

I use BB in both .38 Sp. & .380. I haven't noticed excessive dirtiness, but I clean my guns after every range trip.

i wonder if i can use these Buffalo bore 100gr + p in my sig p238? I have looked through my manual and have not been able to find this information?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

I used to carry Buffalo Bore in my j frame, but I now carry 38+P LSWCHP from Federal. It is pretty stout out of my snubbie but it is less than half the price of the Buffalo Bore ammo.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    i wonder if i can use these Buffalo bore 100gr + p in my sig p238? I have looked through my manual and have not been able to find this information?
    I used the the BB 100gr +P in my Sig P238 as my carry round, put @ 260-280 rounds of it with no issues. As with any gun, I bought extra recoil springs which were cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    I used the the BB 100gr +P in my Sig P238 as my carry round, put @ 260-280 rounds of it with no issues. As with any gun, I bought extra recoil springs which were cheap.
    Did you ever have to use the extra recoil springs? Does the +P affect the barrel or the springs?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Links