Anyone ever use CCI 45 Auto Shotshells in a 1911 ?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever use CCI 45 Auto Shotshells in a 1911 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Strange question...I picked up some CCI 45 Auto Shotshells (1/3 oz #9 shot) for snakes, etc But iam scared to shoot it through my Kimber's.....I ...

View Poll Results: Would you shoot CCI Shotshell's in your prized 1911 ?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO WAY (would'nt chance it)

10 34.48%
  • VERY FEW (1 or 2 here/there wont hurt)

8 27.59%
  • ABSOLUTELY (unharmful to bore)

11 37.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Anyone ever use CCI 45 Auto Shotshells in a 1911 ?

Anyone ever use CCI 45 Auto Shotshells in a 1911 ?

Strange question...I picked up some CCI 45 Auto Shotshells (1/3 oz #9 shot) for snakes, etc
    But iam scared to shoot it through my Kimber's.....I called "kimber" & he was un-helpful (long story), then i called CCI & of course he said it will be fine, should'nt hurt my rifeling unless i shot ALOT of it (in fact he said he shoots it through his personal Colt pistol occasionaly).......Iam scared to try it in a $1200+ pistol but the kimber's are the only 45's we own. Iam not going to shoot it very much at all, just want to know if i can
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I've used it in a Springfield for kicks. It's only marginally useful for oppossum, but plenty of fun. But I seriously doubt shooting even thousands of lead shot through a quality steel barrel will cause any perceptible damage to the rifling or gun.

{sent from an Ally via Tapatalk}

It won't hurt the gun, at most it will leave some plastic fouling. It normally doesn't cycle the action and the patterns aren't great.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    It won't hurt the gun, at most it will leave some plastic fouling. It normally doesn't cycle the action and the patterns aren't great.
    Based on my experience with shotshells in .45 Colt, they are useless past about 15 feet, unless you are lucky.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

SWMBO likes to carry her Glock 26 on our walks in the woods. When the rattlesnake population increased a lot she tried shot in it, being easier to hit when moving kids out of the way. After a few misses (and some ringing ears) I did some pattern testing and the Federal .22 shot patterned better and hit my snake target with more pellets than the 9 and .45 CCI rounds.

I suspect, just a theory, that the spinning shot capsule spins the shot away from the point of aim. Just like buckshot or birdshot fired in a rifled shotgun. I'd rather have hits with many small pellets rather than a miss with bigger ones, and the snakes agree.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I suspect, just a theory, that the spinning shot capsule spins the shot away from the point of aim. Just like buckshot or birdshot fired in a rifled shotgun. I'd rather have hits with many small pellets rather than a miss with bigger ones, and the snakes agree.
    I am in complete agreement; the rifling imparts a spin and destroys whatever pattern there might otherwise be.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Yes i forgot to mention that in my post....CCI told me this also (slide wont cycle)
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

SWMBO likes to carry her Glock 26 on our walks in the woods. When the rattlesnake population increased a lot she tried shot in it, being easier to hit when moving kids out of the way. After a few misses (and some ringing ears) I did some pattern testing and the Federal .22 shot patterned better and hit my snake target with more pellets than the 9 and .45 CCI rounds.
    While I no longer hunt, having spent enough time crawling around in the dirt in my 2+ tours in SE Asia, neither do I condemn those who do.
    What I can't fathom is why anyone would go out of their way to destroy a snake. Now I can easily understand defending oneself from being bitten, but any other time is just plain wrong.

I honestly hope I have misunderstood your post, as no outdoors man would kill just for the sake of it..
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes, a few years ago I bought some Rem. brass crimped no. 12's. Ran alright in my Colt series 80.

Never shot anything with it, but man did it dirty up the barrel!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    While I no longer hunt, having spent enough time crawling around in the dirt in my 2+ tours in SE Asia, neither do I condemn those who do.
    What I can't fathom is why anyone would go out of their way to destroy a snake. Now I can easily understand defending oneself from being bitten, but any other time is just plain wrong.

I honestly hope I have misunderstood your post, as no outdoors man would kill just for the sake of it..
    You're entitled to your opinion, but you know what they say about opinions. I'm a hunter and outdoorsman and I have no problem, killing poisonous snakes when the opportunity arises. When you find them, they're usually within (or close to) striking distance. They're rather tasty, too...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yes, it will work, proof in video

Someone just posted this. .45 ACP CCI Shotshell test in a RIA M1911-A1 (1080p HD) - YouTube

I have been trying to get the shells for 3 months now and nearly every place that carries them refuses to co-operate with restocking it. IF I can get some, I'll be using them myself in September.
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    i have used the CCI .45 shot shell in my full sized Kimber. about 20 all cycled fine with Wolff extra power recoil spring. damage the bore? i wouldn't worry about it, it`s just tiny bits lead, lead id much, much softer then forged steel. the pattern was OK.
    ppostma1 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Thx guy's....
    I did shoot a few rounds of the CCI #9 through my Kimber UC2 this past summer & was quite impressed with the coverage area out of my 3'' barrel at short distances.
    No experience shooting at anything other than a target though, will let u know if i ever HAVE to use them for something...
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    If a little lead shot harms the barrel I would say it is not much of a gun.
    Aceoky likes this.

I've dispatched large cottonmouths with very bad attitudes with that load from my Custom Crimson Carry II with no damage at all to the piece and satisfying damage to the aggressive reptile.

The action cycled too
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links