115gr +P+ 124gr +P - Page 2

115gr +P+ 124gr +P

This is a discussion on 115gr +P+ 124gr +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What has always been my guide to hunting bullets is an Elmer Keith qoute "when faced with a choice between velocity or bullet weight, always ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 115gr +P+ 124gr +P

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    What has always been my guide to hunting bullets is an Elmer Keith qoute "when faced with a choice between velocity or bullet weight, always go with bullet weight".

I know Keith was referring to soild bullets on game animals, however the physics of kinetic energy remain the same. A heavy bullet will penetrate deeper even at a lower velocity than a lighter bullet at a higher velocity.

The point of a +p is to promote expansion & expansion in any handgun round is problematic. This is why I follow Keith's rule.
    murdoch likes this.

Get close and throw heavy lead.
    murdoch likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I buy whichever is priced best and don't worry about it.

Shoot them in the face and they will leave you alone.
    That was pretty funny.

I used to roll with standard pressure 115g when I carried a 9mm, but some discussions of this forum started to sway me towards 124g. I still am not convinced on anything heavier.

I say either will work well. Buy a couple of boxes of each and make a decision based on how well you shoot and how they feel. You'll be ok.

VIP Member
    Either way, bullet construction plays a big part. A 124gr. JHP bullet can breakup and fail to reach the "FBI's Magic Penetration Number", while a particular 115gr. bullet may mushroom nicely and make the 12"-15" minimum. For instance, "Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo", doesn't test Federal's 'All-Time Winner' the 9BPLE load. This 115gr.+P+ load has put bad guys down and they don't get up, for good. It was developed for the FBI, and just about anyone with a LEO agency, relied on it for years. I've seen real life results, and it's my choice for a 9mm carry load.

To the OP, according to your profile you've done it all, why are you asking us about SD loads?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

When "firing on people", are you sure you hit them? This is very important in the stopping power equation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

is shooting +p harmful to a pistol? I have a G19 and was thinking of ordering the 124g. +p Speer Gold Dot
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    is shooting +p harmful to a pistol? I have a G19 and was thinking of ordering the 124g. +p Speer Gold Dot
    As pertains to your Glock, no. It's designed to run with European CIP spec'd loads which are hotter than most +P+ rounds in the US. If you feed it a constant diet, some parts may wear out a little faster--recoil spring, for example--but just shooting enough to verify your pistol likes it and then shooting some every now and again won't harm your pistol a bit.

There are some other 9mm pistols which shouldn't be fired with +P's, but Glocks ain't one of them.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    When "firing on people", are you sure you hit them? This is very important in the stopping power equation.

Yup, hard to collect data without that part.
    murdoch and grouse like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    As pertains to your Glock, no. It's designed to run with European CIP spec'd loads which are hotter than most +P+ rounds in the US. If you feed it a constant diet, some parts may wear out a little faster--recoil spring, for example--but just shooting enough to verify your pistol likes it and then shooting some every now and again won't harm your pistol a bit.

There are some other 9mm pistols which shouldn't be fired with +P's, but Glocks ain't one of them.

thank you for the clarification. I would just have the +P for SD (obviously). How often is good to shoot your SD ammo? Once a year or something?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Personal choice. It varies from monthly to ???.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Federal 9BPLE (115 grain +P+) is an older round, and while it has been used by a lot of LE agencies, I believe that some of the newer bonded bullet designs have greater performance potential. I've seen tests where a 9BPLE breaks up into pieces, while a bonded bullet like an HST or Gold Dot come out looking like a beautiful flower. I prefer the flower for dumping energy into a target. Energy dump is what we really want the bullets to do. As for 115 +P+ vs. 124 +P, I can only guess (WARNING - NO DATA) that the energy in the target is fairly close, so trying them each to see which shoots better in your gun, and for you, is probably more important than any energy difference. Perhaps searching for a comparison with gelatin or wet paper (and perhaps through denim) might allow a bit better guessing about which would penetrate and dump energy better.

In any case, where you hit is far more important that what you hit with, so quantity of practice ammo you go through is far more important than what you end up carrying, so long as what you carry is accurate for you.

When I carry 9x19 as a primary, which is not all that often, I carry one of the following: 127gr +P+ WW RA9TA, Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +P, or Cor-Bon 115gr. +P. The Cor-Bon +P runs faster than any +P+ of other brands I've ever shot, getting 1425fps. from my Browning Hi-Powers. I feel equally well protected with any of these, but I like the RA9TA the best. Usually, I carry a 9x23, which runs 125gr. Silvertips at 1390 to 1490 fps. depending on the barrel length of whichever gun it is in.

And in answer to the "will it hurt the gun" question, the hotter the ammo, the more wear will be imparted. However, I've run several hundred rounds of 9x23 through my converted Kimber Aegis, and it shows no peening or inordinate wear. The 9x23 loads get approximately 250 fps. more velocity than does RA9TA in that barrel length.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Whatever you choose, make sure it runs as closely to flawlessly as possible, in *your* gun. Not in "all the XYZs I've read about online" or in your friend's XYZ. In *your* XYZ.

My SR9c refuses to feed the 115 gr. +P Cor-Bon DPX. No, it's not the magazine: I've got 4 full-sized magazines and 3 short ones, and it's consistent, throughout. My Kahr PM9 "hangs" a bit, on releasing the slide to chamber a round (whether it be that I powerstroke it or with use of the slide-stop/release) with Federal's 147 gr. HST, but it doesn't do so with Speer's 147 gr. GDHP.

Know what you're feeding your gun actually works in your gun. Good terminal ballistics is always nice, but if it won't go out of your barrel, that's a big problem, right there.

Here's a couple vids by a guy who does a LOT of these tests. I highly suggest you check out his page and look at all of them. Pretty neat to see. I was especially amazed at the Winchester Ranger T 127gr +p that failed to expand at all.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The 124 grain +p Gold Dot is a proven Jello killer and in the real world seems to work pretty good on two-legged predators.

Some of the 115 grain +P+ loads also work well in the real world but don't stack up when it's Jello killin' time.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links