why not to carry FMJ's

This is a discussion on why not to carry FMJ's within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize if this is already a known on the forum. There is a trial on the court channel right now where a guy shot ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: why not to carry FMJ's

why not to carry FMJ's

I apologize if this is already a known on the forum. There is a trial on the court channel right now where a guy shot a 250lb man with fmj 380 3 times. One or 2 of the bullets went straight thru the guy(killing him) and hit and killed the mans girlfriend that was standing behind him. Of course, the guy was stupid for pulling a gun out in a bar against a unarmed man knowing how crowded the place was. The shooter had issues with people touching him. My thread isnt to discuss the shooting, just that fmj's are not a good idea to carry. So the little 380 killed 2 people in 3 shots.

Having "nothing to lose" tattood in 1.25" letters across your throat probably will not help the shooters case. Anyway....just my opinion. I saw this on the TRUE TV channel. The trial is on now.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

That's why I carry hollow points!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Be sure of your target and what's behind it. There are no guarantees that a hollow point will not over-penetrate either.

There appears to be much more convincing factors besides the choice of bullet that contributed to a negligent homicide in your example.

cmb
    Lots of variables and not a lot of details... is there more data...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

the defendant states that he didnt even know that she had been shot. Again, this guy did many things wrong. Apparantly he got totally pissed because this good looking girl(drunk) girl pinched him on the butt. I believe the facts are that all 3 bullets hit the guy. Yes, it does not mean that a hollw point would not have penetrated a part of the guy and hit someone. I have always felt strongly against carrying fmj's. The guy carrying had some anger issues and had no business pulling on a unarmed guy, shooting him, then fleeing the scene. There were many things that were a bad decision on his part and other peoples part. I just still think that there is no perfect scenario, so keep your chances of other being harmed to a minimum. He was standing 2 ft from the guy and fired pretty much point blank. Again, no one knew the girlfriend was hit until seconds later. Anyway, this is my personal opinion about fmj's. Yes, there are many variables and unknowns as there always will be. I honestly do think that there are many people carrying fmj's that honestly do not know that they can over penetrate. Ive always carried hollow points. Thats just me.
    The guy used a bersa 380. 3 rounds were fired. The guy was hit 3 times. Again, other bad decisions were made, but fmj's could have caused the girls death. We will never know if would have been carying gold dots that she would have still not been shot, but why chance it? Should have, could have, would have....but I still think im going to stick with HP's. Good day.

I carry FMJs in my 380. Ill take my chances with FMJ having a better chance of stopping a threat over HP through clothing and what not. Also, if my life is in danger and I need to shoot, my life is more valuable to me, than someone behind the BG. sorry
    Eagleks likes this.

VIP Member
    It's iffy whether a .380 HP will expand or not. There are many examples where there is not enough velocity for them to expand.

There are examples where police departments went to HPs for valid reasons. However, focusing on the round used in this case is about as useful as focusing on the shoes he was wearing. He's gonna look awesome with that "Born To Lose" tattooed across his throat in the court room.

FWIW, I carry HP's too.

I haven't read through the article.. Just PLEASE tell me this guy did not have a concealed carry license.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

The jury is going to hang this guy. Again, he has "NOTHING TO LOSE" in large bold letter tattood across his throat. This means nothing to me personally, but you know how people are. I hate it when a chl holder acts stupid like this. I wanted to call the guy hosting the show because he kept saying "why are you carrying a gun around, who needs to carry a gun around with them all of the time? What a moron. People think that if you are carrying that you are out looking for a fight. I hate the way that alot of people think. Anyway...that is all

You mentioned that he was in a bar. Was the defendant drinking as well? If so I can think of many things he did wrong to include:

1. violating one of the rules of gun safety: knowing your target and what is beyond it
    2. (Assuming he was drinking) carrying a firearm while intoxicated.
    3. Not being able to control his emotions (getting angry over something so stupid)
    4. Fleeing the scene

I have not sympathy for this guy and hope he gets the book thrown at him.

Now back to my take on the OP's question: Does a bullet fired from point blank (which it probably was in this case) have more of a change of overpenetration than a bullet fired from a distance? I would guess probably so. I don't carry a .380 but carry at least a 9mm where hollowpoints are the accepted round to be used for SD so I can't really comment on fmj use. However, I have heard of people using fmj in .45 ACP.

So he used a bersa 380. 3.5" barrel I believe. If I had a 3.5" 380 I would choose JHP's. In a pocket 380 with a 2.7" or so barrel I would stick with FMJ's.

I have switched to FMJ in my LCP during the cold months where people are more bundled up. Beyond that, every other gun is loaded up with hollow points.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

But during the warmer months the LCP does have HP loaded and ready to go.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I also have FMJs in my .380, but it is a house gun (one of many placed throughout house), & loaded with Buffalo Bore, not off the shelf stuff....kicks like a mule believe it or not!
    Yes it is rated for BB....Taurus TCP.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I apologize if this is already a known on the forum. There is a trial on the court channel right now where a guy shot a 250lb man with fmj 380 3 times. One or 2 of the bullets went straight thru the guy(killing him) and hit and killed the mans girlfriend that was standing behind him.
    A 250lb man is a pretty big boy but I've seen some WalMart shoppers that I'll bet could absorb a 380 FMJ with no worries for anyone standing on the other side.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links